• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

HR question

Grays_1890

Colin Calderwood
A mate of mine just whatsapp'd me and said he has been offered a job where the holidays are 20 days but forced to take 3 days over Christmas so his yearly allocation is 17 days.

Surely thats wrong no? Is that even legally

A mate of mine just whatsapp'd me and said he has been offered a job where the holidays are 20 days but forced to take 3 days over Christmas so his yearly allocation is 17 days.

Yes it is legal
https://worksmart.org.uk/work-right...loyer-make-me-take-my-holidays-when-they-want

I recall personally working in the building industry many years ago I had to take a week at Easter and a week at Xmas which was a pain. Not sure whether there is the same shutdown now.
It has also been the norm in some factories in the past.
But it’s not something you hear so much of nowadays. But it is legal.

20 days leave sounds pretty low in any case.

some companies are now saying 20 plus UK bank holidays - basically a cheap way of getting out of 15 or so days holiday.

Its entirely legal to offer as many days holiday the company wants at its discretion I think and they absolutely can enforce a period of holiday - it could be Xmas, or a seasonal factory shut down, or even stock take in some industries.

It's entirely legal and very normal in manufacturing.

We do the same and offer people the opportunity to earn more annual leave through continual employment at high attendance and performance.

Tell him he has to respect the rule of law, even if it is morally unjust.
Sorry - wrong thread.

It's not about 1 person. It's about an employer not following the rules and regulations. Not too difficult to understand, is it?
And my point was that an employee who becomes a union troublemaker won't be an employee for long.

Back