• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Honeymoon destinations - any suggestions?

Are they all pretty much of a muchness then? Antigua/st Lucia/ Kitts / Barbados?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Barbados is a busier island than the others with a bit more to do although St Lucia isn't far behind. St Lucia is pretty hilly though and alot of the resorts are at the other side of the island with a 2 hour + transfer from the airport. I would recommend staying on the west coast in Barbados, primarily in St James as another poster mentioned. Nicest part of the island but easy access to get back to 'the gap and Oistins for some local fun.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't do AI in Barbados. Bed and breakfast or half board is good enough when you have restaurants like The Cliff and Cin Cin nearby but I can see why people do AI if it is to cover their drinks consumption.

Never been to Antigua so I can't comment properly but my missus works for Virgin and it is the only island in the region she is not very keen on.

St Kitts is very quiet, went there as part of a cruise and it is much quieter and less developed than any of the other 3 islands you mentioned.

I am probably a little biased given the fact my wife's family are from Barbados but to me it is the best island overall that I have visited in the Caribbean and I have been fortunate enough to visit quite a few places in that part of the world.

Colony Club in Barbados is nice.

Probably looking at about £6k+ but I think that's for AI if you want that. Mind you, the food I thought was surprisingly good; lunches on and by the beach were great.

Apparently it's been done up since I was there but even then I thought it was very nice. Very good, friendly staff too.

We hired a car and zoomed around the island for a bit. Went on the trip to Oistins which is good fun.

Would certainly go back.

Barbados is a busier island than the others with a bit more to do although St Lucia isn't far behind. St Lucia is pretty hilly though and alot of the resorts are at the other side of the island with a 2 hour + transfer from the airport. I would recommend staying on the west coast in Barbados, primarily in St James as another poster mentioned. Nicest part of the island but easy access to get back to 'the gap and Oistins for some local fun.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't do AI in Barbados. Bed and breakfast or half board is good enough when you have restaurants like The Cliff and Cin Cin nearby but I can see why people do AI if it is to cover their drinks consumption.

Never been to Antigua so I can't comment properly but my missus works for Virgin and it is the only island in the region she is not very keen on.

St Kitts is very quiet, went there as part of a cruise and it is much quieter and less developed than any of the other 3 islands you mentioned.

I am probably a little biased given the fact my wife's family are from Barbados but to me it is the best island overall that I have visited in the Caribbean and I have been fortunate enough to visit quite a few places in that part of the world.

Did you cruise to St Kitts before they built the shopping village?

Maldives. There's a Taj resort there that's excellent.

Make sure you go all inclusive though. As everything has to be flown/shipped from the mainland it's all expensive. We didn't and a can of coke cost me $10. Spent more on food and drink than the whole honeymoon cost.

Try speaking to a company like Western and Oriental. We've used them a few times for beach holidays and they are knowledgeable and have a good range of options. I don't think they give prices on their website (or if they do it is just indicative) but don't let that put you off Give them your budget (cite the lower-end to start), tell them broadly what you have in mind and see what they come up with. If nothing else you can pick their brains about the merits of various destinations and use that info to look elsewhere. Always worth speaking to someone directly.

October is still hurricane season in the Caribbean, albeit it towards the back end of the season. Barbados is actually outside of the hurricane belt (although not unheard of but very rare). As mentioned above St James and Hole Town on the wiest coast are very good, a bit more 'upmarket' than the south coast but it is a small island and easy to move around.
Smaller islands such as Grenada, Bequia, Tobago may be a bit cheaper but also a bit limited if you are looking for much nightlife beyond a few restaurants but we enjoyed the latter two ( not tried Grenada).

Try also looking at Kuoni.co.uk. You can get some good offers on their website.

We finished our honeymoon in Goa in a November after a couple of weeks moving around India and that was bliss. I'd recommend South beach - much quieter than the north. You wouldn't need all inclusive as you can eat and drink for peanuts at the beach shacks (not reallly shacks) or at least that was the case a few years back.

Sri Lanka is another option (although you'd need to check the rainy season as it varies by area). There are some lovely beaches there. (Kuoni usually has offers).

We were iin Thailand earlier this year. Would love to go back. Definitely worth looking into. (If you do,look at flying Thai Airlines direct to Bangkok rather than changing in the Middle East somewhere).

Good luck!

Thailand is fab, although I'm not sure when it rains in what part, Swellsy is your go to guy for that. Barbados is fab esp the west coast but i wouldn't go AI, I really like Sri Lanka but I guess that is a bit of a wildcard. Mauritius is loveley. South Africa has great Safari and Beach options and is cheap as chips right now due to their currency being low. Plenty of reasonably priced options out there if you do your homework:)

Thailand is fab, although I'm not sure when it rains in what part, Swellsy is your go to guy for that. Barbados is fab esp the west coast but i wouldn't go AI, I really like Sri Lanka but I guess that is a bit of a wildcard. Mauritius is loveley. South Africa has great Safari and Beach options and is cheap as chips right now due to their currency being low. Plenty of reasonably priced options out there if you do your homework:)
This is a good shout, as you won't be doing this with kids, unlike Mexico or the Caribbean.

If you're thinking Caribbean then have a good look at Cuba as an alternative. Steeped in history and fantastic people.

If you're thinking Thailand then Koh Samui is beautiful. Quiet compared to Phucket/Patong but still enough going on if you want to party.

What about NZ? I got married in Auckland and honeymmoned for 7 weeks around NZ , can't speak highly enough of the place.

http://www.kandolhu.com/

kandolhuisland_humleka_hero.jpeg

Yes someone at work suggested South Africa and maybe a safari but the fiancée isn't up for that. Shame as was also told its dirt cheap over there.

Tried kuoni too and they've come back with some of the £5k plus deals. It's an option but would like to get lower.

I think Thailand is edging it but I also want to go to NY for a few nights but worried about the jet lag east to west.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

If you're thinking Caribbean then have a good look at Cuba as an alternative. Steeped in history and fantastic people.

If you're thinking Thailand then Koh Samui is beautiful. Quiet compared to Phucket/Patong but still enough going on if you want to party.

What about NZ? I got married in Auckland and honeymmoned for 7 weeks around NZ , can't speak highly enough of the place.

NEW ZEALAND NEW ZEALAND NEW ZEALAND!! 100%

Caribbean - yes definitely

wont you need a good 3 weeks for NZ? I reckon I can push to 3 weeks with work as it's once in a lifetime (unless I divorce of course) so need to make the most of the annual leave.

South or North? or both?

Did you cruise to St Kitts before they built the shopping village?

Not entirely sure mate, I just remember when we docked it seemed fairly quiet locally from what I remember but this was in 2010. We went off to a local beach and paid about $25 each for an aloe vera massage fresh from the plant which was amazing. Other than that I didn't see anymore of St Kitts so my perception might be slightly skewed.

New Zealand looked like Scotland when I saw it on TV, very wet and windy. Guess it depends on the month.

Just make sure you have good WiFi. Last week I was in the South of France in a village, staying somewhere with 0.1Mbps "broadband" speed... unbelievable.

Couldn't check the news or this site or all sorts of things like looking for things to do on TripAdvisor. Bloody third world

Caribbean - yes definitely

wont you need a good 3 weeks for NZ? I reckon I can push to 3 weeks with work as it's once in a lifetime (unless I divorce of course) so need to make the most of the annual leave.

South or North? or both?

My missus and I were going to do New Zealand but logistically it was too much with the amount of time you need. I have a good friend who has gone to Australia and New Zealand on seperate visits and went for a month both times. His advice to me was don't do anything less than 4 weeks because you will feel a little like you have cut short certain aspects and as it is a place you will probably struggle to get back to once other life journeys come into play, it's best to try and make sure you get to see and go to all the parts you want to without feeling rushed.

Both islands are supposed to be must see from what I was told but quite different in terms of feel and climate as well.

Back