• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hoddle as NextGen Coach?

Gutter Boy

Tim Sherwood
Since listening to the recent Spurs Show interview, I've been thinking what a shame it is that we're not utilising Hoddle's talents.

I really thought he should have got the England U21 job, but I wonder if now he might be the person to take over our NextGen team?

As I understand it, while Timmeh has been acting up, John McDermott has been coaching the team. McDermott is academy director, which is a more strategic role, so if anything that is acting down (in addition to continuing his main role).

We all know Hoddle is a great tactician, champion and developer of technical players, but a poor man manager especially of senior players. I think the NextGen might be ideal for him therefore (where everyone with rightly be in awe of him and lap up everything from him). It's also discrete enough from the first team that he shouldn't be a threat to the new guy there (cf a consultancy sort of role).

Obviously it depends on the new first team appointment (FdB might want to bring his brother RdB with him for that role). But I do think this has the potential to be an inspired appointment to the vacancy.

yeah id ship out TS altogether and give his youth role to Ghoddle.....i dont think Ghoddle will get a real job now, so he might just be interested in helping to develop the Tottenhams kids

yeah id ship out TS altogether and give his youth role to Ghoddle.....i dont think Ghoddle will get a real job now, so he might just be interested in helping to develop the Tottenhams kids

Its a very good idea. Glenn has his coaching schools in spain i believe where he takes the players that have been thrown on the scrap heap, trains them up some more and gets them more trials. He is used to working with youth. I think its sad he is not involved at our club. he has a very astute football brain if not the man management of major players. I wanted him in instead of TS when AVB was sacked for the short term. he offered himself up and it was not taken.

Thing is would levy swallow his pride after sacking him all those years back?

Hoddle said that he wasn't interested in the England U21 job last time around. He said that it would be a step down after holding the full England job.

No idea whether he would feel the same about our youth development role. I would have concerns that he is a big ego to contain in that kind of role. He need to kick some of his flakier healing views into touch too.

Can't see it.

Hoddle said that he wasn't interested in the England U21 job last time around. He said that it would be a step down after holding the full England job.

No idea whether he would feel the same about our youth development role. I would have concerns that he is a big ego to contain in that kind of role. He need to kick some of his flakier healing views into touch too.

Can't see it.

In that regard I can understand his view. It would have been a step down to manage the U-21 compared to the full team. But a director of youth from U21 down to the juniors would be a much different role to just an U-21 manager. he would have a large sway in the whole tottenham way for a large age area. And could manage his youth coaches and players. You might be right, but I would hope that there is a bigger difference there.

As far as his ego goes. Like i said in an earlier post. He already does this kind of role very succesfully and there have been no ego issues there.

As far as his ego goes. Like i said in an earlier post. He already does this kind of role very succesfully and there have been no ego issues there.

I'd like you to be right. I think that the difference between what he is doing now and slotting into a youth structure is that now he is his own boss. I would imagine that some club managers would find having a club legend and former manager behind the scenes a little unsettling. It doesn't have to be but it is a consideration.

I have a friend who was a youth team player at Spurs during Hoddle's time, and he always spoke very highly of how he was with the younger players (even in terms of man management). So it might not be a bad idea.

Would certainly be nice to have him back involved in the club.

ive read an interview before where he spoke about what's wrong with football in England and why we rarely produce top technical talents, doesn't guarantee anything with regards to his ability in the field of course but he seems to have a good idea of how young players should be trained/raised in to the game. think he'd be an ideal candidate for some kind of head of youth development role.

i hope we manage to hang on to Ramsey as well, he seems like he knows his onions

Love Hoddle if he was interested in taking over the youth it should be a no brainer

That is unless the new manager has he's own plans

and he has experience setting up football academies in other countries. maybe a role there for our international expansion.

Maybe someone should float the idea at Levy. I agree that he needs a position in the club and I think working with the youth players in some way could be a good move. Would it be too little a job for Glenn though?

Maybe someone should float the idea at Levy. I agree that he needs a position in the club and I think working with the youth players in some way could be a good move. Would it be too little a job for Glenn though?

A lot bigger than the dole but I guess he may have grander schemes

but if he has he's been in the planning stage almost as long as us and the stadium ;)

and he has experience setting up football academies in other countries. maybe a role there for our international expansion.

I thought that his football academy was in Spain but took predominantly British players or have I missed something?

Milo is spot on. It's not a job Hoddle would want, and from the sounds of things down the years he has rejected the England under 21 job and numerous bottom half Premier League jobs.

To be honest I don't think Hoddles done himself much favors in his search for a job. He'd have to be very lucky to nab a top six job and if he has any ambition to get back into management he should accept a job sharpish.

He's 56 now and hasn't managed in 8 years. To be honest I can't ever see him managing anyone again.

Back