• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hockey pens in football

As a keeper I’d prefer it, you have a better chance in a one on one than from a penalty.

Overall I think pens are the better tie break though.

The Carabao Cup seems to be the testing ground for all kinds of new and more or less exciting stuff. Since extra time has already been abolished there, let's have this as a tie breaker there next season.

The Carabao Cup seems to be the testing ground for all kinds of new and more or less exciting stuff. Since extra time has already been abolished there, let's have this as a tie breaker there next season.

I'm imagining Llorente coming at the keeper at 2mph, then attempting to head thin air because he doesn't know what to do

I quite like it! Wouldn’t necessarily mind it being introduced instead of regular penalty shootout.
If the player taking the penalty got brought down by the goalie, would he get a penalty?

Remember the yanks used to do it, but it's not for me. In hockey it takes the player a second or two to get from halfway to taking his shot, Charlie Adam taking one like that would need a halftime break.

Wasn't this trialed a few years ago?
Or did I dream that?

My mate seems to think they trialled it in Italy in the early 2000s - I've never bothered to look in to whether he's right or not but i don't remember that being the case

I like this. It takes out the lottery of the goalkeeper guessing right, and will see a stronger correlation towards the team with the better mentality and technique.

I like this. It takes out the lottery of the goalkeeper guessing right, and will see a stronger correlation towards the team with the better meteorology and technique.

I think it will skew heavily to the teams with the better keeper. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with that.

I think it will skew heavily to the teams with the better keeper. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with that.

I'd say the opposite. There's no way you should not score a 1:1 with the keeper like that, unless you bottle it or are crap.

I'd say the opposite. There's no way you should not score a 1:1 with the keeper like that, unless you bottle it or are crap.

More would be missed than scored, the time limit forces the taker to rapidly move towards the box, the keeper can check depth to take the chip off of the table and close angle for any shot attempt (they don't have to worry about a pass either), the only way a decent keeper is beaten is by an exceptional shot, an unfortunate deflection, (same as a normal penalty shoot out) or by having the ball being taken around them.

It's a lottery. It rarely rewards anything, other than a lucky guess from a keeper.

The run-in ones would introduce more skill and meteorology aspects
The outcome would be pretty similar. The best hockey players miss their fair share of pens, no matter how skillful they are.

I’d refer the spin round the broom handle before a penalty or crossbar challenge.

Fail that a mascot race from one end of the pitch to the other or the team with the lowest wage bill are awarded the tie.

Back