• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hillsborough Disaster

Sandman

Dean Austin
Now this might be controversial and maybe a bit off the norm of thinking. I realise it was a terrible disaster and people lost their lives etc, it needed to be heeded. Things had to change. But its been 25 years now and its still being majorly in the news, games kicking off late in respect. Armbands being worn etc etc

Why?

Why is it still being brought up all the time. You dont see them mention the fire At Bradford and the 50 plus people who lost their lives. There is no minutes silence for that? or armband wearing. Im sure there are a list of major tragedies that deserve commemoration if Hillsborough is always going to be remembered. And before someone says " well its 25 years". It was 25 years of the Bradford Disaster 4 years ago and you heard nothing.

96 people died at a football match through ill planning/control measures and then there was a cover up/shifting of the blame from authorities - putting the blame on those who died, which only recently has been admitted to.

it's a dark dark part of this countries recent history and i am not surprised it is still being marked with remembrance initiatives such as this one. (25 years being a significant anniversary so obviously going to be ramped up a bit)

more should be done about Bradford but in a way that is more club specific - the Hillsborough disaster could have happened to any club as was the way supporters were treated by the police/stadium control officials in this era. Our supporters nearly suffered a similar fate a year or so prior (as im sure some members of this board will confirm) which is partly why the FA will mark this day across the board.

Recent news stories about the lies/cover up by the authorities mean it is essentially fresh news.

Still gets on my tits if im honest. Dragging out enough, obviously it was a horrible thing to happen and i feel for the families etc but just let it go.

Last edited:
I think it's just that it's 25 years and there has obviously been further disclosure recently.

The OP makes a good point, I think we should do more regarding Bradford (and all other football disasters, Port Said, Heysel, etc) but that all should get the same level of respect. No one should die attending a football match.

Also, it should always be a minutes silence, a minutes applause isn't appropriate for such occasions.

Still gets no my tits if im honest. Dragging out enough, obviously it was a horrible thing to happen and i feel for the families etc but just let it go.

Have to agree with this.

How many silences do we need? Are we now obliged to have a minute's silence in perpetuity or risk being branded uncaring?

And why does grief/respect have to be public? I don't believe it should be, yet I am obliged to join in someone else's public display?

I also don't think it's helpful to the people of Liverpool for the country to reinforce and validate their victim complex.

definitely something in that Scara, society has gone that way, if you don't run around screaming about all the issues, wearing paper flowers on your forehead and changing your twitter avatar to a no make up "selfie" you are some kind of Neanderthal who should be shunned

definitely something in that Scara, society has gone that way, if you don't run around screaming about all the issues, wearing paper flowers on your forehead and changing your twitter avatar to a no make up "selfie" you are some kind of Neanderthal who should be shunned

Quite. Even this forum suffers - RIP threads for just about anyone.

I blame social media - grief can't be private now.

Now this might be controversial and maybe a bit off the norm of thinking. I realise it was a terrible disaster and people lost their lives etc, it needed to be heeded. Things had to change. But its been 25 years now and its still being majorly in the news, games kicking off late in respect. Armbands being worn etc etc

Why?

Why is it still being brought up all the time. You dont see them mention the fire At Bradford and the 50 plus people who lost their lives. There is no minutes silence for that? or armband wearing. Im sure there are a list of major tragedies that deserve commemoration if Hillsborough is always going to be remembered. And before someone says " well its 25 years". It was 25 years of the Bradford Disaster 4 years ago and you heard nothing.

Nothing controversial about this great post. The Bradford fire was just as tragic yet never mentioned. Also may I add, let's not forget the 39 Juventus fans who died as a result of the actions of Liverpool fans in the European cup final at Heysel,

It has become part of Liverpools marketing. It is their way of building a them vs us mentality. Like its an exclusive club. Its now played as a sympathy card to which you can never dare to question.

You also never hear of Heysel disaster mentioned by the Liverpool fans.

I am personally of the opinion that dirty laundry shouldnt be put out in public.

96 died with 1000s scarred for life. I cant imagine the pain of the friends and relatives but grieve in piece and not make every club and person follow suit. Respects should be paid voluntarily.

I think what makes it so shocking is the fact that about 2/3 of the people who died were 24 or younger.

The scousers do half go on about it but the cover up was a f@cking disgrace and also when you read into it as I did in research for an A level documentary on terraces it really shocks you knowing they died helplessly as oxygen was squeezed out of their bodies.

I too hope that now the enquiry has shed light on the cover up and it's the 25th anniversary that we as a country, not just the Liverpool fans, can now move on.

I can't help but think that if it was any other club it would be different. I'm not talking about the day itself, their fans have been rightly exonerated.

This has obviously touched the lives of thousands of people, and how they mourn is their own business, sadly it's become a political rod to wield for others who wallow in faux grief for their own egregious ends.

Back