• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Shocking is possibly the wrong desdriptor.. How about 'suspect' instead? I've been seen him bypassed so many times in transition, fumbling and tripping his way back to get into the correct position.

Also so many times when he's closing players down and snapping in, it's almost a token effort. You say he won the ball back numerous times, I disagree. I think he has the right intentions but rarely wins the ball. Players just jink past him.

It's my one gripe , I'm sure it'll get better with time. He's very young and that's easy to forget. But I think it'd be crazy to willingly play him as a sole deep lying midfielder, moving forward.

Im not saying he is a great defender, just that he is a lot better than shocking.

Against Utd there was a definitive improvement in his defensive work.

I dont disagree, he can certainly be a lot better, but Im not sure its a stick to really beat him with.

Shocking is possibly the wrong desdriptor.. How about 'suspect' instead? I've been seen him bypassed so many times in transition, fumbling and tripping his way back to get into the correct position.

Also so many times when he's closing players down and snapping in, it's almost a token effort. You say he won the ball back numerous times, I disagree. I think he has the right intentions but rarely wins the ball. Players just jink past him.

It's my one gripe , I'm sure it'll get better with time. He's very young and that's easy to forget. But I think it'd be crazy to willingly play him as a sole deep lying midfielder, moving forward.
I don't think Winks is particularly bad defensively (I think he reads the game pretty well and has decent positional sense). I do think he has a bit of a weakness in one on one situations, this is reasonably easy to improve however (IMO all he really needs to do is take the Eriksen route here - stay goalside, on your feet and concentrate on holding up the player as opposed to actually trying to go in and win the ball - you can then let the bigger boys do the actual tackling.

He is one of our own

winks_2048e.jpg

I thought some of his passing was all over the place today, but that goal makes up for all the mistakes he's made this season. Not saying there has been many, BTW.

That was a lovely, lovely moment. Bet Pawson's heart dropped, he must have been so, so disappointed. And Mitrovic will now surely hit the streets tonight to beat up random homeless people to get the frustration out of his system. Sort of like a continuation from the game, only with other opponents.

he won MOTM, I thought he played ok personally, certainly one of our better players, only Rose you could argue was better for us. Would be interesting to see his passing stats but I don’t think he was sloppy myself?

What Winks did well time and again was carry the ball into space and setup some more proactive play. I think the pitch was a mess, a lot of passing was slow. It could be the game where Winks truely arrived. He did well against Barca and plenty of other games. But he won this one today. Stellar performance.

Last edited:
He was sloppy at times as he had so much time on the ball
The play before the goal was great
He looks much more threatening when Dier plays alongside him

Over on arsenal mania they don't rate him. I think he's the next Scott Parker, but better.

He is so positive its amazing. Always looking to go forward and is clever at using the ball and pitch to beat his man.

Love the guy.

Sure Harry misplaced a few passes but so did everyone else. But by and large it was Harry who dominated the middle of the park, constantly moving into space, demanding the ball, linking play and looking to affect the game positively. His winner at the end was no more than he deserved.

Over on arsenal mania they don't rate him. I think he's the next Scott Parker, but better.

He is so positive its amazing. Always looking to go forward and is clever at using the ball and pitch to beat his man.

Love the guy.

One of our own. I think he's gone somewhat missing for us in many games this season, but for the past few weeks, he's been really good. And his stats suggest he hasn't done too bad this season at all (just me again not seeing things, go figure). I just love the man and his passion, regardless of whether he's our new Modric or our new Mason, he's playing with his heart on his sleeve, and it's just lovely to see. So happy he got the winner! :D

One of our own. I think he's gone somewhat missing for us in many games this season, but for the past few weeks, he's been really good. And his stats suggest he hasn't done too bad this season at all (just me again not seeing things, go figure). I just love the man and his passion, regardless of whether he's our new Modric or our new Mason, he's playing with his heart on his sleeve, and it's just lovely to see. So happy he got the winner! :D
He’s basically been playing on his own CM for most of his games this season, with that in mind I think he’s done a sterling job. Get Dier in alongside him from now on and watch him go.

Back