• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Thought he played well also

I am a big Harry Winks fan but his performance was anything but "well" against Rochdale. He was completely non-influential and unable to set the tempo of the game - something he was doing regularly before getting injured.

Let's hope he can get back to the Bernabeu level of performances asap.

I am a big Harry Winks fan but his performance was anything but "well" against Rochdale. He was completely non-influential and unable to set the tempo of the game - something he was doing regularly before getting injured.

Disagree, he got on the ball a lot and played it about well, a few driving runs beating players too.

He did get on the ball but did very little with it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

With some players, they do a little and it is deemed enough; with others, they do much more and still get slated...

Disagree, he got on the ball a lot and played it about well, a few driving runs beating players too.
He had a similar number of passes in an hour to what Sissoko had in 90 minutes playing in a similar role.

I would expect Winks playing well to have a lot more than that. Perhaps even twice as many.

Particularly in the first half we struggled to get out from the back through their pressure. Winks was playing more box to box and wasn't as deep in midfield to receive the ball as he sometimes is. But I still want him to contribute more in that phase of play, it's part of where he excels when on form.

To be fair some of it might be Pochettino's instructions, he might have been asked to stay further forward. If so, fair enough. But he was subbed after an hour whereas Sissoko was left on the pitch so I don't think Pochettino was fully satisfied with what he saw.

Have to say that comment sounds a little harsh. Because I watched him closely and the player I saw put in plenty of graft all game, as well as making several good, thrusting forward runs from midfield. Not claiming anything came of them but that is not necessarily down to him. Most of the time he is there to put in the spade work so that others can capitalise on it; if they fail to do so that is hardly his fault.

Please remember that along with Aldereiweld, Wanyama and Rose he is still coming back from injury and therefore surely deserves to be cut some slack.

Please remember that along with Aldereiweld, Wanyama and Rose he is still coming back from injury and therefore surely deserves to be cut some slack.

Mate, nobody is witch hunting Winks, what a few people are saying is he's been quite poor (he plays in a difficult position and Poch's midfielders have to own a role, either keep possession, move the ball, or be attacking. Winks out of form does a little bit of each, which comes out as very ineffective).

Toby and Rose were bad as well (even Son didn't have a stellar game). Difference is those guys are proven at top level, over multiple years. Winks has to get back to his form quickly (and that's me hoping for him), I could see us buying another midfielder over summer, competition will get tougher.

I thought Winks was probably the best of the 3 centrally placed midfielders (Wanyama, Winks, Sissoko) up until he made the mistake before the Rochdale goal. In the 2nd half he seemed effected by that mistake and having less influence on the play. I will still surprised that he was substituted and not Sissoko so thought it was a fitness thing.

Mate, nobody is witch hunting Winks, what a few people are saying is he's been quite poor (he plays in a difficult position and Poch's midfielders have to own a role, either keep possession, move the ball, or be attacking. Winks out of form does a little bit of each, which comes out as very ineffective).

Toby and Rose were bad as well (even Son didn't have a stellar game). Difference is those guys are proven at top level, over multiple years. Winks has to get back to his form quickly (and that's me hoping for him), I could see us buying another midfielder over summer, competition will get tougher.
Mate, nobody is suggesting that either. I repeat, apart from his one costly mistake Winks had a decent game against Rochdale, so to suggest he was poor overall seems to me a tad harsh. That is all.

Would be good to see him get back on form to force himself into Southgate's thinking. Just got a feeling he is one of the important missing pieces in our international team.
As I'm not English I don't particularly care about England at big tournaments beyond wanting to see our lads do well.

Having said that it would unquestionably be good if Winks found his form this spring to tithe point of forcing his way into the England squad and team. But it might be better for Winks and us if he got the summer off thinking about next season.

Personally I really hope he regains his form quickly. Replay against Rochdale would be a good place to start.

Last edited:
Back