• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

that wasn't sharpness it was overconfidence/poor decision making. He shouldn't be attempting to beat a player when the pitch is set up as it was.
Yet he and other players did just that on numerous occasions. I don't think we should adjust our play to the point of not risking any mistakes on a pitch like that.

Most of the time he fairly effortlessly goes past the opponent in that situation and bursts into a bit if space, a position we know he can create from.

Just got that one wrong, got his touch very wrong. Needs to do better. With more match sharpness the chances of that mistake goes down imo. The risk is always there, but must be brave and accept some risk.

He has gone backwards a little bit this season IMO, that is not unusual for a player in his first few seasons of PL football however. I like his positivity, but he also has to learn how to read situations better, trying to beat a player when both of your full backs have bombed on and your holding midfield player isn't behind you isn't intelligent.

It's this season he's come on massively. It was autumn that he bossed Real Madrid twice and burst into the England side.

He’s been dogged by injuries since Christmas, barely played, he’s clearly nowhere near match fit yet. Thought he and Rose looked better as the game wore on.

Yet he and other players did just that on numerous occasions. I don't think we should adjust our play to the point of not risking any mistakes on a pitch like that.

Most of the time he fairly effortlessly goes past the opponent in that situation and bursts into a bit if space, a position we know he can create from.

Just got that one wrong, got his touch very wrong. Needs to do better. With more match sharpness the chances of that mistake goes down imo. The risk is always there, but must be brave and accept some risk.
I disagree. I'm not saying he should never try to beat a player, it is just that it is about choosing your moment. You attempt to beat a player when the result of you failing to do it doesn't result in the opposition being able to instantly be in even numbers (or better) with your defence. Winks could see Wanyama's position as he was looking in field, so shouldn't have been doing what he did. I'm sure Harry himself will know that and Poch won't even need to tell him.

Further to this I didn't think that Winks had a bad game yesterday.... just that one really bad moment. I think that for the most part he played pretty well.

Last edited:
I think Winks looks a natural player at this level but he was poor against Rochdale, as others have said he needs to have a better awareness of what is happening around him but i do believe he is a star in the making.

Dier is the one over Wanyama right now, and IMO, whenever. He is so massively underrated by our fans. I think Winks would get away with that if Dier was playing simply because Dier offers better shape/position. It was a poor place to lose possession for sure, but I agree with Brain's assertion.

I am personally worried that his development and confidence has been stunted. I even found myself thinking that Onomah would have been a better midfield choice for that game.

I am personally worried that his development and confidence has been stunted. I even found myself thinking that Onomah would have been a better midfield choice for that game.
A drop in form when returning from a couple of injuries is hardly uncommon. A drop in form from a young player with limited first team experience is more the rule than the exception.

Would have been nice to see him dominate against Rochdale, but I don't think there's reason to be concerned about his development based on that not happening.

Hopefully we'll see a very different Winks in the replay, playing on a proper pitch and in familiar circumstances.

I don't think you can discuss Winks, without applying the same to Rose, Wanyama and Alder. All 4 have struggled since their returns

I actually think it's just a measure of how good our side is, that 80-90% fit/sharp players look a million miles off

One mistake. That is all it was. Just the one. Agreed it was schoolboy but most times a mistake like that does not cost us.

Other than that I thought he had a pretty decent game overall.

Steady on here! The 'lad' has 'just' coming back from a long layoff. He looked rusty along with some far more senior players.
Onomah* has not covered himself in glory by any means at Villa but he's 'young' also.

*https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/a...ans-make-their-feelings-clear-to-steve-bruce/

Last edited:
After his first few games he was being lauded to the heavens. He managed to get onto the scoresheet a couple of times and Brucieboy was so impressed he was complaining Villa would need to break the bank to keep him.

Then following a spell out with injury, he had by all accounts a couple of poor games and has hardly been seen much since. He mostly comes on now as a late sub - if at all, but this has been during Villa's rise from the bottom half of the table to 2nd, so obviously others have come along since and proved difficult to dislodge.

So basically whether as an AM, CM or DM he has hardly had the chance to prove himself recently. Maybe it's the same issue as we have with the likes of Aldereiweld, Wanyama, Winks and Rose, that he needs a decent run of games to play himself back into form.

In other words we all need to be a bit more patient

Seems to me, as much as anything, he has been miss used - as Gazza says.

Those top performances were from CM, the ones people complain about were at AM. Guess where, when Onomah does get games, Bruce plays him?

Back