• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

I'd take 50% right fudging now. Half of Modric is still brilliant by any reasonable standards - to put it in perspective, I think Xabi Alonso was about half the player Modric is.

If Winksy becomes the English Xabi Alonso, he'll have done brilliantly for himself.

Modric was still playing in Croatia when he was Winks' age.

We signed him when he was 22 and he didn't really hit the ground (or get trusted in CM as opposed to LM) till his second season

We signed him when he was 22 and he didn't really hit the ground (or get trusted in CM as opposed to LM) till his second season
He had already shown himself to be an exceptional talent well before that though. More so than Winks has so far at least.

Love Winksy though. Looks so mature as a player for his age and actual first team experience.

He played CM fir most of his first season, iirc, after a short spell on the left when it became apparent that he was up to the task from the off.

WInks looks class and improving.

Love how he gets out of tight spaces, thats where I think you get the Modric comparisons, slowly slowly with this lad and we will see the best of him. Def best of the bunch that came through like Mason etc etc

Our usual midfield for most of the 08-09 season was Lennon - two of Zokora/Jenas/Hudd/Palacios - Modric

It was only the season after, when Krancjar arrived, that Modric was used predominantly at CM

Indeed. I remember Palacios got his 10th yellow card and there was midfield crisis before NLD in April. Modric had to play centrally, and Bale pushed forward to the left flank. Also Bentley lost out on the right flank to this no-name youngster Danny Rose.

Modric only played left flank once more, when Palacious had served his 2 match ban. We lost against Man U.

Yes, and your point is? Modric was the best player in Croatia at his age, and his stature (I believe he's even shorter than Winks) was what led to Redknapp putting him out on the left to feel his way into the English game. I don't actually think he needed that, but it helped until we pulled him back into the centre alongside Palacios and then Hudd the following season.

Winks is a different player, with a different development arc. And, although the lad is very talented, he's not Modric. Not yet. And maybe not ever, but that's fine because of how unique Modders was, and is - probably the best central midfielder of the post Xavi era, and I'd say he was a more well-rounded player than Xavi was even when they were both still active in European football.

Tough run coming up, with liverpool, Madrid Utd etc, would be nice if moose/Victor were available, even just for the options.

But Winksy is gonna be in the thick of it and sometimes when you know your gonna be playing it can give you the security of mind and who knows it could be the making of the boy?

(Not that I've ever doubted his tempremant)

Another top performance from him today. Getting used to it!! Would be nice to seem Dembele back in Spurs shirt at some point soon though; really think we need another CM in asap given Dembele's fitness issues

The bar is very low for him atm. Did not think he had particularly good game. Liverpool dominated the midfield a bit. Henderson played a great pass for their goal .. if that had been Winks the pundits would have gone into meltdown. Ali had a good game - but gets largely ignored .

I must say I thought he was well below his usual standards today, looked to be more wasteful in possession than usual. Defensively was better than I've seen before mind....

Back