• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

He looked much shakier when I was watching the game compared to these highlights. Probably because I was a nervous wreck!

Nah in fairness it's partly because those are just the highlights!

Still thought he had a good game overall though, any minor lowlights included.

He looked much shakier when I was watching the game compared to these highlights. Probably because I was a nervous wreck!

I get that
When watching it's easy to get too involved and dont see what's in front of you. I think it's worth with TV than live games as when your there you don't get a replay

I love him to bits, but I loved Carroll and Bentaleb before him (I'm a slut). All three are players that play with their heads up and make the right decision more often than not (I'm ignoring Bentaleb's last few performances). However I believe that performance from Winks was a real milestone in his development. He seems to have have the temperament to go with his ability. To go to Madrid and play with such composure tells me he has ice running through his veins. I could easily see Dier, Winks and Onomah as the Spurs (and England) main midfielders in a few years.

Incidentally I think he's more Xavi than Iniesta but who am I to question the great man.

Last edited:
I love him to bits, but I loved Carroll and Bentaleb before him (I'm a slut). All three are players that play with their heads up and make the right decision more often than not (I'm ignoring Bentaleb's last few performances). However I believe that performance from Winks was a real milestone in his development. He seems to have have the temperament to go with his ability. To go to Madrid and play with such composure tells me he has ice running in his veins. I could easily see Dier, Winks and Onamah as the Spurs (and England) main midfielders in a few years.

Incidentally I think he's more Xavi than Iniesta but who am I to question the great man.

Can't agree more

I agree with the Xavi comparison. England have been holding out for a midfield maestro longer than Spurs have (Modric). Winks is so good at 21 that he's literally got a decade to make teams tick. Against Madrid he proved that he can do it at that level.

For me Harry plays like a potential English Modric. A deep lying play maker.

I'm in a sort of shock re how good he was the other night. This is away in Madrid playing Real bloody Madrid. The lad is right at the very start of a career, he is so young - the least experienced player in our team out on the pitch by miles.

Really excited about him. He is such a rare type of English player,. Technically excellent and tactically really smart. Plays with head up, makes intelligent decisions, keeps the ball, plays through the lines. And awesome ability - two good feet, good touch. While not big he gets around, good balance, and even that clip above shows he has a burst of pace... very much like Luka does.

I'm pretty sure he is going to be a huge player for us for years to come.

Quite a game to be thrown into for young Winks. The deepest of three midfielders up against Real Madrid. A role he hasn't really played for our first team before.

Thought he handled himself well. A handful of errors/poor decisions and perhaps he could have been a little more ambitious with his passing once in a while. But that's really nitpicking considering the circumstances and opponents.

Like last season he's putting himself in a position where even when everyone's fit he's at least competing for a place in our starting line up.

Can't wait to see how he develops from here. Big things coming if he does things right.

Not surprised by his performance. All I want is for him to be allowed to develop without distracting him with overhypes e.g. the England team saviour.

he played it safe but its the right thing to do against RM.
not that i liked it much as all the RM midfielders were very efficient and incisive creating chances, but that was the right thing for winks.

at this stage, is he clearly better than carroll?

he played it safe but its the right thing to do against RM.
not that i liked it much as all the RM midfielders were very efficient and incisive creating chances, but that was the right thing for winks.

at this stage, is he clearly better than carroll?

Winks was better than Carroll last season, let alone this season.

For me Harry plays like a potential English Modric. A deep lying play maker.

I'm in a sort of shock re how good he was the other night. This is away in Madrid playing Real bloody Madrid. The lad is right at the very start of a career, he is so young - the least experienced player in our team out on the pitch by miles.

Really excited about him. He is such a rare type of English player,. Technically excellent and tactically really smart. Plays with head up, makes intelligent decisions, keeps the ball, plays through the lines. And awesome ability - two good feet, good touch. While not big he gets around, good balance, and even that clip above shows he has a burst of pace... very much like Luka does.

I'm pretty sure he is going to be a huge player for us for years to come.
I'm well and truly on board with the Winks tossfest. Winkfest?

Anyway., I watched the 3-minute compilation, posted earlier, with presumably all his touches. Very very tidy, maintains possession, and not just "sideways passes" like some people are wont to say. Happy to receive the ball on either foot, good first touch, aware of the players around him.

Guardiola's Barca were all about moving teams around with quick triangles until a gap opens, and that's the sort of game that Winks seems made for. I'm perfectly happy for him to play 90 sideways or otherwise easy passes a game, as long as they're quick and tidy, if that means he gets to play 3 or 4 that split the defence.

There was a quote about Carrick being "like a washing machine". Who was that? Either way, you give him a dirty pass and he returns it clean, recycling possession. That's what he does.

The next big test for Winks will be whether he can cope with being a marked man. Madrid didn't have a game plan for him, unlike their "someone on him at all times" strategy for Eriksen. If and when Winks becomes a regular at the base of our midfield, he's going to be targeted. Hopefully he'll come through it. A central midfield pool of Wanyama, Dembele, Winks and Dier would give us a whole lot of flexibility.

Steady , En
Damn; we really REALLY might have a top TOP English midfielder on our hands here:eek:

Steady - England have not had a truly great midfielder since Gazza .

You get the feeling if Winks was to score a goal or especially a good goal - some would call him the new Messi. He is already the new Modric or Iniesta take your pick.

He is still a long way behind Silva for City or does not even make the Spanish team to put things in perspective. . Ultimately it does him no favours to be ridiculously hyped up like this. The media is so desperate for a glimmer of hope from England - they jump on the slightest thing. Two years ago our very own Townsend was the next best thing.

I'm well and truly on board with the Winks tossfest. Winkfest?

Anyway., I watched the 3-minute compilation, posted earlier, with presumably all his touches. Very very tidy, maintains possession, and not just "sideways passes" like some people are wont to say. Happy to receive the ball on either foot, good first touch, aware of the players around him.

Guardiola's Barca were all about moving teams around with quick triangles until a gap opens, and that's the sort of game that Winks seems made for. I'm perfectly happy for him to play 90 sideways or otherwise easy passes a game, as long as they're quick and tidy, if that means he gets to play 3 or 4 that split the defence.

There was a quote about Carrick being "like a washing machine". Who was that? Either way, you give him a dirty pass and he returns it clean, recycling possession. That's what he does.

The next big test for Winks will be whether he can cope with being a marked man. Madrid didn't have a game plan for him, unlike their "someone on him at all times" strategy for Eriksen. If and when Winks becomes a regular at the base of our midfield, he's going to be targeted. Hopefully he'll come through it. A central midfield pool of Wanyama, Dembele, Winks and Dier would give us a whole lot of flexibility.
Just like Kane became a marked man? Great players will shine no matter what.

Could not agree more, Modric is world class and we made it hard for him to show that. As for Winks well he looked at home at that level and there is still more to come from him.
Actually, we didn't. He was their best player and he's 32 to boot. But if Winksy can get to 75% Modric, we'll be lucky indeed.

Actually, we didn't. He was their best player and he's 32 to boot. But if Winksy can get to 75% Modric, we'll be lucky indeed.

I'd take 50% right fudging now. Half of Modric is still brilliant by any reasonable standards - to put it in perspective, I think Xabi Alonso was about half the player Modric is.

If Winksy becomes the English Xabi Alonso, he'll have done brilliantly for himself.

Back