• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Winks has all the makings of becoming a VERY good player, i am usually wary of making loud noises about " one of our own" players, mainly because over the 50 odd years of supporting Spurs i have seen many promising players overhyped by fans and in some cases the media, crash and burn.

However Winks has impressed me from day one and he seems to be a natural to become a top player.

Winks has all the makings of becoming a VERY good player, i am usually wary of making loud noises about " one of our own" players, mainly because over the 50 odd years of supporting Spurs i have seen many promising players overhyped by fans and in some cases the media, crash and burn.

However Winks has impressed me from day one and he seems to be a natural to become a top player.
The energy he brought when he came on against Soton was great and just what we needed. It seemed to lift the team - even though there were still many misplaced passes - and he isn't one to shirk a tackle and put himself about. Clearly Poch trusts him in these situations to shore things up. Long may it continue.

The energy he brought when he came on against Soton was great and just what we needed. It seemed to lift the team - even though there were still many misplaced passes - and he isn't one to shirk a tackle and put himself about. Clearly Poch trusts him in these situations to shore things up. Long may it continue.

He did energise us when he first came on, for whatever reason we seemed flat the whole game and his energy helped to stir us up again.

Interesting, my opinion of him has changed.

- Initially he impressed me by the fact he would come in and almost be unnoticed, just fit in, keep the team rhythm going, very little mistakes. I felt he helped us play our team game more than threaten the opponent directly (not a bad thing, but harder to measure/see)

- Recently that has changed, he actually is starting to exert some more control into the game and look like he could hurt the opposition, if he can make that transition, then, he could be a very special player.

Interesting, my opinion of him has changed.

- Initially he impressed me by the fact he would come in and almost be unnoticed, just fit in, keep the team rhythm going, very little mistakes. I felt he helped us play our team game more than threaten the opponent directly (not a bad thing, but harder to measure/see)

- Recently that has changed, he actually is starting to exert some more control into the game and look like he could hurt the opposition, if he can make that transition, then, he could be a very special player.

I agree he is getting involved more ( like the couple of runs with the ball on Sunday), i just think that even in his first couple of games he just looked a natural and that he belonged at this level. Most young player take time to look that way ( that is not a criticism of them), but Winks looked liked he was playing on a park with his mates not thrown into a game with million pound players all around him and thousands of fans watching.

Last edited:
Breakthrough player IMO of this 2016/17 season. Assuming Dele was the one for last season, I wonder who it will be next?

On the brink of an England call up too if you believe the Evening Standard (today's Tom Collomosse article).

Sure, but no one calls them particularly physically adept players - nor is Kante/Gana's size and strength a critical factor in the way their teams operate. Both of them bring other bonuses to their teams (relentless stamina and an unbelievable work-rate, in their cases) like Winks brings bonuses to our side in Dembele's absence (intelligent, accurate cross-field passing and forward play). But the point was that Dembele and Wanyama's physicality arguably forms a key component of what is widely acknowedged to be our most effective tactic (3-4-2-1), which means we'll have to adjust to Winks a bit if he becomes a first-team fixture.

I haven't yet found that exact article, but I've found one which makes essentially the same argument -

https://talkingtottenhamtactics.wor...hy-the-way-we-press-might-be-holding-us-back/

Mousa's a unique sort of player, perfectly attuned to a man-oriented pressing system by dint of his unrivalled physicality and technicality allowing for us to break opposition players down while retaining possession ourselves. And Winks might struggle to replace him in the system we use, given his limitations in that department - even as he offers other strengths that could be used were we to tailor it a little bit to Winks' strengths.

I agree with your suggestion that Poch could evolve our tactical approach to include Winks, and I think he might try it if Winks improves even further. But he won't give us what Dembele does. That's not a slight on young Winks, because I can't think of many players across the length and breadth of world football that could pull off what Dembele pulls off on a regular basis - maybe Tiemoue Bakayoko at Monaco or Franck Kessie at Atlanta, but there are question marks over even them.

Ultimately, adaptation will be necessary, which wouldn't be the case with a player more naturally suited to stepping in for Dembele without a change in our system.

Thanks for linking my article. Quality Winks discussion going on here.

I think he has a bit of fabregas in him in his early days. Also a bit of Scott Parker too. Not sure what his finishing is like as he hasn't really had any shots on goal but let's see how he gets on next season with those bad boys.

Had a very poor game for U21's in midweek by all accounts, against a superior German outfit. Subbed off.

Genuinely interested to ponder whether that is because the players around him are not of the calibre he trains with week in week out/plays with?

Had a very poor game for U21's in midweek by all accounts, against a superior German outfit. Subbed off.

German outfit that had a combined 1000 plus first team games apparently and ours had about 200

That's a salary comparison on youth. Wing given a chance

And he was playing with inferior players IMO

The U21 were all awful against Germany.
Winks has never played well for the U21s for some reason.
Always plays too deep imho for U21s

Last edited:
Back