• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

I'd agree with that at the moment but i would not be overly worried if Dembele was out and Winks was deputising.

I could also see us getting to the point where we decide that a passer is better than a ball holder against some of those big teams.

Agree fully.

I'm not sure that he's not capable, but Poch certainly seems to be managing his workload, presumably because of hte couple niggles which Dembele got earlier in the season. Shame dont have able deputies in other positions such that we can do similarly for others (eg Kane v Millwall)

I don't think it's a coincidence that Dembele has essentially been restricted to a game a week for some time and even then he's been fairly regularly subbed in games.

@braineclipse @the dza it is getting close to the stage where i do not feel that we are weaker with Winks starting over Dembele. Certainly the drop off is not significant.

I agree with this. Unfortunately Dembele for me hasn't been the dominating force he was last season. I think he is still most important in the bigger games against our main rivals but there are certainly some games where Winks' quicker ball passing and eye for goal is better deployed than Dembele's ball carrying abilities.

I agree with this. Unfortunately Dembele for me hasn't been the dominating force he was last season. I think he is still most important in the bigger games against our main rivals but there are certainly some games where Winks' quicker ball passing and eye for goal is better deployed than Dembele's ball carrying abilities.

Watch vs. Everton. Dembele going off led to a physically weaker midfield. I like Winks technical ability but he doesnt offer Dembele's key strength which is carrying the ball...

Watch vs. Everton. Dembele going off led to a physically weaker midfield. I like Winks technical ability but he doesnt offer Dembele's key strength which is carrying the ball...

What happened when Dembele went off against Everton?

I remember Vertonghen slipping and Lukaku scoring. I remember them scoring from a set piece after poor marking from some of our players. And I remember Winks setting up what ended up being a decisive third goal for us.

I don't remember the game changing character all that much after Dembele went off. Not more than one should expect when one good team is two behind and get a lucky goal to go one behind. If anything I would expect more pressure to be put on us and for Everton to create more after getting that 2-1 goal.

What happened when Dembele went off against Everton?

I remember Vertonghen slipping and Lukaku scoring. I remember them scoring from a set piece after poor marking from some of our players. And I remember Winks setting up what ended up being a decisive third goal for us.

I don't remember the game changing character all that much after Dembele went off. Not more than one should expect when one good team is two behind and get a lucky goal to go one behind. If anything I would expect more pressure to be put on us and for Everton to create more after getting that 2-1 goal.

I remember Everton getting more and more stronger in the middle. This always happens when the swap occurs. Dembele/Wanyama is a very strong pairing. Winks need more physical development if he wants to match it.

I remember Everton getting more and more stronger in the middle. This always happens when the swap occurs. Dembele/Wanyama is a very strong pairing. Winks need more physical development if he wants to match it.

I might have to go back and watch that 15 minutes again. Not quite sure what you're saying though. Did Everton relatively speaking get stronger physically compared to us when Dembele went of? Sure... Or did they get stronger in the sense of getting better and taking over and changing the momentum of the match? In that case, not so sure.

Sure Winks isn't as strong as Dembele. I think we can thrive with central midfielders without Dembele's physical presence though. Plenty of teams that do very well without that. Particularly considering the physical presence of Wanyama next to either Dembele or Winks.

I'd agree with that at the moment but i would not be overly worried if Dembele was out and Winks was deputising.

I could also see us getting to the point where we decide that a passer is better than a ball holder against some of those big teams.
Yes, I can agree with all of that....

He may end up not being quite good enough to nail down a starting spot at Spurs (although IMO he definitely will). However he will certainly do a bit better than Hull or West Ham. While he might not quite be good enough for us, he would easily be a first choice player for a club at the level of (say) Arsenal. Although I doubt he would actually want to play for them. What are your thoughts on this Simon?.... and your thoughts on Arsenal in general?

I just think we must have been watching a different player.

Let me put it a different way. If you want to know how a good a player is, don't listen to your own supporters, listen to others. Five minutes on to the scene every football supporter knew Alli was the business, the same could be said for players such as Modric, and Ledley King. Ask another supporter about Winks, and they won't know who you are talking about. At very best he is OK for games against sides such as Millwall, and he would slot into a side like Swansea or Palace beautifully, but as far as a top 4 side is concerned, not in a million years

Last edited:

Let me put it a different way. If you want to know how a good a player is, don't listen to your own supporters, listen to others. Five minutes on to the scene every football supporter knew Alli was the business, the same could be said for players such as Modric, and Ledley King. Ask another supporter about Winks, and they won't know who you are talking about. At very best he is OK for games against sides such as Millwall, and he would slot into a side like Swansea or Palace beautifully, but as far as a top 4 side is concerned, not in a million years

I actually agree with your logic here but actually the fans I know of other teams have now started to take notice

You can't ask other fans about Spurs players as 85% of people hate Tottenham and will not give credit where it is due.

I think that there were plenty of fans of other clubs that were unconvinced about Modric after a similar number of starts as Winks. I think that the problem with your argument is that ball players tend to look less impressive on highlights than a more direct/dynamic player. If the only Spurs games you see are when we are playing your team or on MOTD, you will not have seen much of Winks.

Winks is in his first full season in the first team and has only had a handful of starts. It is hardly surprising that he hasn't made much of an impact on fans of other clubs yet but he has obviously been good enough that trolls think he is worth picking out for criticism to try and get a rise out of Spurs fans.

I think that there were plenty of fans of other clubs that were unconvinced about Modric after a similar number of starts as Winks. I think that the problem with your argument is that ball players tend to look less impressive on highlights than a more direct/dynamic player. If the only Spurs games you see are when we are playing your team or on MOTD, you will not have seen much of Winks.

Winks is in his first full season in the first team and has only had a handful of starts. It is hardly surprising that he hasn't made much of an impact on fans of other clubs yet but he has obviously been good enough that trolls think he is worth picking out for criticism to try and get a rise out of Spurs fans.

Exactly. Modric took a while to settle as did Bale.

Also, fans of other teams weren't too fond of Kane (nor were many Spurs fans including me). Ditto Danny Rose. Simon is talking more sh1t.

Winks is an excellent player. Can see him being a long term replacement for Dembele over the next 2-3 years.

At very best he is OK for games against sides such as Millwall, and he would slot into a side like Swansea or Palace beautifully, but as far as a top 4 side is concerned, not in a million years
Think you are in a minority here...if Winks continues to improve we have a first class midfielder for the next decade...

At very best he is OK for games against sides such as Millwall, and he would slot into a side like Swansea or Palace beautifully, but as far as a top 4 side is concerned, not in a million years
Think you are in a minority here...if Winks continues to improve we have a first class midfielder for the next decade...
I think he's the only "fan" that thinks this dude. Everyone on here likes Winks. I'm still undecided on who he actually supports though. I reckon it's West Ham and they've sent him over here from KUMB. Then again it could be one of the bells from arsenal fan tv.

I think he's the only "fan" that thinks this dude. Everyone on here likes Winks. I'm still undecided on who he actually supports though. I reckon it's West Ham and they've sent him over here from KUMB. Then again it could be one of the bells from arsenal fan tv.

Interestingly whoever it is this troll supports a quality academy central midfielder like Winks breaking into the first team is something they could really use.

As for other fans... The people I know that actually know a bit about football and watch a lot of football do rate Winks as a very good talent.

Back