• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

How many of those 60-70 yard passes does Modric make a game? How many did he make a game when playing for us? How about when first settling in for us? How about as a 20 year old?

Winks seems to do a lot of the other stuff Modric does well. He also seems to have a good long pass in him. But I wouldn't expect him to play 60-70 yard balls with any consistency at this point. What he has done well so far deserves celebrating though because he's been very good.

At least once a game, iirc. At least, during the 09/10, 10/11 and 11/12 seasons - he started out as a winger when Redknapp first took over, and I didn't catch him when he was at Dinamo prior to us acquiring him.

Video from his earlier days at Madrid - also possibly stolen from another user called rom7ooo, but I can't find the original. Anyway, he used to do that a lot with us too. It looked different when he was with us, because we played against deeper defenses and our players didn't run into space much, preferring to receive the ball to feet, but if there's one thing that stands out about Luka in my mind, it's how often he spread it with pinpoint accuracy like that.

Winks doesn't yet do that much, if at all. He seems a bit more conservative with his passing. Until I see that sort of thing (of course, paired with the dribbling and tackling that made Modders such a complete package), I don't think it's fair on either Winks or Modric to make that comparison, is all.

He's done very well so far, no one's disputing that. But unrealistic expectations beget disappointment down the line. Winks is a good ,tidy, aggressive and encouragingly brave player with a relatively high ceiling and the potential to become a first-choice midfielder for us if he progresses over the next few seasons. But he isn't the next Modric. Not yet, at least.

i don't really follow transfer news stories unless they get a lot of traction on here so im unaware of any links to central midfielders tbh mate - anything that stands out?

i don't see the need for an extra body in midfield with Dier/Wanyama and Dembele/Winks - we have Carroll atm as 5th choice and Poch has used him in the past fairly regular but he isnt getting a look in at all atm and that's even with one of our four standing in as a CB for quite a while - i just don't see the need really, not when Winks is looking very comfortable with the game time that is coming his way

I don't buy into any specific rumours (as the club seems to have done a decent job over the last couple of years of killing legitimate leaks), the ones I see seem to be the profile of wide/AM type roles, perhaps a game winner type. As I said it just makes the number of bodies fitting in quite a trick. Winks is a good option for us to have, question is will we continue to look at him as option, or will we say, he has a higher potential ceiling and just needs game time (loan)

Said it in one of the other threads, younger players are going to find it harder to get into this team, no major gaps/flaws in first 11.

I don't doubt Poch rates him, but if you look at next season, you would expect we will pick up another midfielder & striker in summer. How does Winks get regular starts? If we could find the right loan where he could start most/all matches, might be best thing for him.

That makes sense. However I'm thinking along the lines that Poch doesn't trust other managers/coaches with development on loan for younger players, because he's such a fudging Don at developing them on his own ;)

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

That makes sense. However I'm thinking along the lines that Poch doesn't trust other managers/coaches with development on loan for younger players, because he's such a fudging Don at developing them on his own ;)

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk
Agreed.
And Winks is firmly putting himself as a solid option of our 4 CMs now. He has shown himself trust worthy and talented, he'll play enough to develop but not too much to burn him out.
Looking like a solid PL player so far

Sorry if i've asked before @Yoof but could you see Winks playing next to Onomah as our 2 in front of the back four in future?
Plus, when Onomah came on vs Villa on Sunday in his very short cameo, did you think he was more 'bullish' rather than coasting in term of how he played in that short time?

Sorry if i've asked before @Yoof but could you see Winks playing next to Onomah as our 2 in front of the back four in future?
Plus, when Onomah came on vs Villa on Sunday in his very short cameo, did you think he was more 'bullish' rather than coasting in term of how he played in that short time?

Difficult to say. I think most managers will always want a more dedicated holding midfielder in there next to one of them, they've played alongside each other at CM for the youth sides but it's generally been as part of a three man midfield. Josh I actually think there's more chance of him becoming a DM than an AM but ultimately I still expect him to settle into a role between the two(hopefully with us) and I'd probably say the same for Winks. As for Sunday I didn't really notice him playing any differently, it's difficult for him coming on at the end of games as he no doubt wants to do something to impress but it's usually at a point where it's two sides going through the motions.

Difficult to say. I think most managers will always want a more dedicated holding midfielder in there next to one of them, they've played alongside each other at CM for the youth sides but it's generally been as part of a three man midfield. Josh I actually think there's more chance of him becoming a DM than an AM but ultimately I still expect him to settle into a role between the two(hopefully with us) and I'd probably say the same for Winks. As for Sunday I didn't really notice him playing any differently, it's difficult for him coming on at the end of games as he no doubt wants to do something to impress but it's usually at a point where it's two sides going through the motions.
Personally I felt very encouraged by Onomah's performance when he came on against Villa. I made a point of watching him closely because of all the criticism he's been getting on here, about him generally seeming lethargic and seldom doing anything to catch the eye.

There was certainly nothing wrong with his pressing game, he was noticeably energetic from the off, chasing down opponents, winning back possession on occasion and distributing the ball intelligently. He also came close to scoring right at the end with a shot that went wide.

I suppose he still didn't quite do enough to make us all sit up and take notice but neither did he look at all out of place. I still have hopes for him long-term because he loks skillful and has a certain stylishness about him.

Personally I felt very encouraged by Onomah's performance when he came on against Villa. I made a point of watching him closely because of all the criticism he's been getting on here, about him generally seeming lethargic and seldom doing anything to catch the eye.

There was certainly nothing wrong with his pressing game, he was noticeably energetic from the off, chasing down opponents, winning back possession on occasion and distributing the ball intelligently. He also came close to scoring right at the end with a shot that went wide.

I suppose he still didn't quite do enough to make us all sit up and take notice but neither did he look at all out of place. I still have hopes for him long-term because he loks skillful and has a certain stylishness about him.

That one going in would have done wonders for young Josh. Ah, well. There will be more chances.

Thanks.

Out of interest do you think Winks and Onomah would do well as part of the middle 3 in a 4-3-3 alongside a true DCM like Wanyama?
In fact do you think the likes of Mason, Carroll and Bentaleb would have also excelled in such a formation?

I reckon that Winks will get (another) new contract prior to the start of next season. He has moved from being a pure squad player when he signed his last deal to becoming a first choice replacement.

Winks has enabled us to experience no adverse effect to selling Mason in the summer. He will also allow us to sell Carroll this month so indirectly will have earned Spurs around 20 million.

Wenger watched this from the dugout and reckoned Luka was too lightweight for the Premier League.
He bought Denilson a week later.

Denilson is playing in the middle east at the age of 28. Modric won the Champion's League last season.

Very interesting video as well. I hadnt watched it. Young Winks has a way to go eh.

Very interesting video as well. I hadnt watched it. Young Winks has a way to go eh.
As did Modric at 20.

Winks has very little actual first team experience, but is already making an impact. After a season's worth of game time might be a better time to take stock of his actual ability. The talent is there for sure. If he'll ever get to the level of Modric, arguably the best player in his role in the world at the moment... well obviously that's unlikely. But for now I'm very happy with the talent and potential Winks is showing.

As did Modric at 20.

Winks has very little actual first team experience, but is already making an impact. After a season's worth of game time might be a better time to take stock of his actual ability. The talent is there for sure. If he'll ever get to the level of Modric, arguably the best player in his role in the world at the moment... well obviously that's unlikely. But for now I'm very happy with the talent and potential Winks is showing.

Wasn't Luka on loan at 19/20 at Inter Zapresik and the game vs Arsenal he was 21 and had been playing first team for 4 years?

Im not saying Winks is as good as Luka but Luka wasn't playing at premier league level at the same stage in career that Winks is

Luka improve this game whilst with us from playing in a progressive side and I would expect Winks to do the same too

Last edited:
Wasn't Luka on loan at 19/20 at Inter Zapresik and the game vs Arsenal he was 21 and had been playing first team for 4 years?

Im not saying Winks is as good as Luka but Luka wasn't playing at premier league level at the same stage in career that Winks is

Luka improve this game whilst with us from playing in a progressive side and I would expect Winks to do the same too

It was a month before his 21st birthday. Winks will be 21 in just under 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Deserves a mention for the positive impact he had on our midfield when replacing Dembele after 65 minutes at the Etihad on Saturday. Not that he did anything to catch the eye particularly but what he did bring along with some timely tackles was a little extra pep, neatness and order in the middle of the park, courtesy of his crisp, positive passing.

Considering the level and intensity both teams played at it's reassuring to know that should Wanyama be needed at CB in the absence of both TB and JV he will provide more than adequate cover.

Back