• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Classy player, alway positive. Modric in the making.

Eh. I'll concur when I see him regularly make 60-70 yard pinpoint passes like Modric does. Until then, he's more like a more well-rounded Mason, imo. Mason did much of what Winks is doing now - moving it forward with relative accuracy and purpose, always offering himself as a passing option, driving forward, tackling with intensity. Of course, Mason was 22-23 when he burst into our side - Winks is still only 20 (due to turn 21 next month), so he's got a couple of years on Mason, and will, I think, develop into a better player than Ryan.

Eh. I'll concur when I see him regularly make 60-70 yard pinpoint passes like Modric does. Until then, he's more like a more well-rounded Mason, imo. Mason did much of what Winks is doing now - moving it forward with relative accuracy and purpose, always offering himself as a passing option, driving forward, tackling with intensity. Of course, Mason was 22-23 when he burst into our side - Winks is still only 20 (due to turn 21 next month), so he's got a couple of years on Mason, and will, I think, develop into a better player than Ryan.

I think we would agree that Luka's major contribution to any side he plays is his dynamism, ability to read the play/get the ball and use it well, either by carrying or passing quickly. Yes, some long passes, but really 'regularly' 60-70 YARD passes? Toby plays twice as many of those...

I think we would agree that Luka's major contribution to any side he plays is his dynamism, ability to read the play/get the ball and use it well, either by carrying or passing quickly. Yes, some long passes, but really 'regularly' 60-70 YARD passes? Toby plays twice as many of those...

Well, perhaps I didn't phrase it well - Luka had the unerring ability to send the ball across long distances with pinpoint precision, usually via the aerial route. He'd get the ball in our half with his back to the opposition, turn, jink past one, two and three challenges and then play a lovely cross-field ball to one of the wingers that took two or three players out of the game and opened up acres of tactical space. And he'd do it two or three times a game, bless him, while still finding time to tackle, track back, dribble, get forward and conduct play via shorter passes both in our half and on the edge of the oppo's area.

It's not underrating Winks that I'm going for - I agree that he had a really good game against Villa, and even if I *still* can't figure out what type of player he is (Carrick-style distributor, Dembele-type dribbler, Mason-type forward runner, bit of all three?) I can agree that he distributes it well, is brave in the tackle and always looks for passing options, which bodes well for his future.

It's more just unrequited, day-dreaming nostalgia for Modders, if I'm being honest - and a bit of a refusal to allow his time here to be underrated. :p The man was fantastically good, and he's still proving it now by dint of how immeasurably vital he's made himself in that Real Madrid side. To say that any player is a 'Modric in the making' is asking an awful lot of that player, which might not be fair to the player himself in many cases - especially in the case of a youngster like Winks.

Man, what I'd give to have Modders playing those passes out to the flanks today - they'd be *so* much deadlier now given that we actually have players attacking those spaces and anticipating vertical passes like that, which often wasn't the case in the 'Arry teams (where the wingers would often go up and bring the ball down to feet instead of looking to move into spaces, which in hindsight really slowed down the attacking impetus at times).

Last edited:
It's not underrating Winks that I'm going for - I agree that he had a really good game against Villa, and even if I *still* can't figure out what type of player he is (Carrick-style distributor, Dembele-type dribbler, Mason-type forward runner, bit of all three?) I can agree that he distributes it well, is brave in the tackle and always looks for passing options, which bodes well for his future.

Precisely, that's Modric. That's Harry in the making.

Well, perhaps I didn't phrase it well - Luka had the unerring ability to send the ball across long distances with pinpoint precision, usually via the aerial route. He'd get the ball in our half with his back to the opposition, turn, jink past one, two and three challenges and then play a lovely cross-field ball to one of the wingers that took two or three players out of the game and opened up acres of tactical space. And he'd do it two or three times a game, bless him, while still finding time to tackle, track back, dribble, get forward and conduct play via shorter passes both in our half and on the edge of the oppo's area.

It's more just unrequited, day-dreaming nostalgia for Modders, if I'm being honest - and a bit of a refusal to allow his time here to be underrated. :p The man was fantastically good, and he's still proving it now by dint of how immeasurably vital he's made himself in that Real Madrid side. To say that any player is a 'Modric in the making' is asking an awful lot of that player, which might not be fair to the player himself in many cases - especially in the case of a youngster like Winks.

Man, what I'd give to have Modders playing those passes out to the flanks today - they'd be *so* much deadlier now given that we actually have players attacking those spaces and anticipating vertical passes like that, which often wasn't the case in the 'Arry teams (where the wingers would often go up and bring the ball down to feet instead of looking to move into spaces, which in hindsight really slowed down the attacking impetus at times).

How many of those 60-70 yard passes does Modric make a game? How many did he make a game when playing for us? How about when first settling in for us? How about as a 20 year old?

Winks seems to do a lot of the other stuff Modric does well. He also seems to have a good long pass in him. But I wouldn't expect him to play 60-70 yard balls with any consistency at this point. What he has done well so far deserves celebrating though because he's been very good.

How many of those 60-70 yard passes does Modric make a game? How many did he make a game when playing for us? How about when first settling in for us? How about as a 20 year old?

Winks seems to do a lot of the other stuff Modric does well. He also seems to have a good long pass in him. But I wouldn't expect him to play 60-70 yard balls with any consistency at this point. What he has done well so far deserves celebrating though because he's been very good.

Modric switched play quickly but I don't remember any 60/70 yard passes

I hear what you are saying, it's a long road to get from potential to the finished article. The fact that we can even entertain the possibility is encouraging though.

Do not get me wrong there are parts of Winks game which reminds me of Modric, however when Carroll first broke into our team i saw the same parts in his game as well. Now for whatever reason Carroll has not pushed on lets hope that Winks does, i just think that fans can put too much pressure on young kids and its not always for the best.

Do not get me wrong there are parts of Winks game which reminds me of Modric, however when Carroll first broke into our team i saw the same parts in his game as well. Now for whatever reason Carroll has not pushed on lets hope that Winks does, i just think that fans can put too much pressure on young kids and its not always for the best.

Carroll always looked tidy. But Winks has already shown he has ability in the areas Carroll was always flawed in. He's much more physical and aggressive, but most importantly he's assertive and pro-active in his play. He's young Modric to Caroll's young Samways.

Carroll always looked tidy. But Winks has already shown he has ability in the areas Carroll was always flawed in. He's much more physical and aggressive, but most importantly he's assertive and pro-active in his play. He's young Modric to Caroll's young Samways.

I hear what you saying but i rate/rated Carroll more then you do/did. We shall see what happens but Carroll had the talent but for whatever reason he never pushed it on.

Back