• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Jesus Christ. How about a bit of context Steve?

Against the Czech high press our midfield were pushed backwards. Against a terribly weak Bulgaria team our midfield were allowed all the time in the world.

You can't compare the 2 situations. What a wet idiot.

Don’t forget winks was playing in his own in midfield most of the game

At one point he was playing CB when Mings went on a run

People see what they want to see
People see what they want to see
@gazzadazzla said much the same thing.
And I'm happy to be wrong.
I would love for Winks to become the player it looked like he was on the path to become.
But over the past 1.5 seasons I don't see any progression and really struggle to see what he brings to the team or shape or tactics.
It's not like Modric where he dominated that area around the centre circle and pulled teams around, or Dembele where he drives the ball forward or Carrick where he sits and dictates tempo.
It's more like a slight better Joe Allen.

Happy for someone's to describe what I am supposes missing. But from what I can tell he offers very little under any kind of press or against anyone half organised.

@gazzadazzla said much the same thing.
And I'm happy to be wrong.
I would love for Winks to become the player it looked like he was on the path to become.
But over the past 1.5 seasons I don't see any progression and really struggle to see what he brings to the team or shape or tactics.
It's not like Modric where he dominated that area around the centre circle and pulled teams around, or Dembele where he drives the ball forward or Carrick where he sits and dictates tempo.
It's more like a slight better Joe Allen.

Happy for someone's to describe what I am supposes missing. But from what I can tell he offers very little under any kind of press or against anyone half organised.
For me he dictates the tempo

It’s why he is so important currently

The issue for me is the system we pay doesn’t work currently with players over committed in the wrong place and also not defending as team

we’re suffering defensively from players like Toby having the speed of a sloth... yet the blame strangely gets passed to midfield

but I will say winks had a mare vs Bayern

For me he dictates the tempo

It’s why he is so important currently

The issue for me is the system we pay doesn’t work currently with players over committed in the wrong place and also not defending as team

we’re suffering defensively from players like Toby having the speed of a sloth... yet the blame strangely gets passed to midfield

but I will say winks had a mare vs Bayern
Interesting. That's how I felt about a yearish ago.
Maybe it's the lack on controlling a game I feel is missing from his game. The three players I mentioned earlier had an ability to still make a mark on the game. even when everyone around them was turd, they shone and made things happens.
Although, upon reflection, they may have only started doing that around the age Winks is now. So maybe it's to come.

Interesting. That's how I felt about a yearish ago.
Maybe it's the lack on controlling a game I feel is missing from his game. The three players I mentioned earlier had an ability to still make a mark on the game. even when everyone around them was turd, they shone and made things happens.
Although, upon reflection, they may have only started doing that around the age Winks is now. So maybe it's to come.

i just think look at how those around him are performing

he is passing to a lazy arsed eriksen for example who should really be operating at a WC level

Its worth remembering just how young he is. Carrick and Modric and the like werent doing what he is doing now at 23 IMO.

And he is working under far less than favourable circumstances. To be quite honest I think the last year or so he has been hung out to dry.

And even then, he does himself credit.
Yup, Modric was only a few months shy of 23 whilst Carrick had just turned 23 when they signed for us. Can but hope that Winks will push on to become as great as either of them over the next decade.

Its worth remembering just how young he is. Carrick and Modric and the like werent doing what he is doing now at 23 IMO.

And he is working under far less than favourable circumstances. To be quite honest I think the last year or so he has been hung out to dry.

Winks is 24 in Feb.

People keep on mentioning the likes of Modric when talking about him.
Others listening get expectations that he is anything like Luka and get disappointed and angry when he plays like a young Scott Parker.

People keep on mentioning the likes of Modric when talking about him.
Others listening get expectations that he is anything like Luka and get disappointed and angry when he plays like a young Scott Parker.
Sheesh, Roy Keane was already bossing central midfield and picking up his first Premier League winners medal at the age of 23.

Yup, Modric was only a few months shy of 23 whilst Carrick had just turned 23 when they signed for us. Can but hope that Winks will push on to become as great as either of them over the next decade.

Both players were better at 23 than Winks currently is - im not sure how that's up for discussion tbqh. And im not knocking Winks with that comment

Back