1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Winks

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by elltrev, 27 Jul 2016.

1. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Vedran Corluka

I think Winks played reasonably well against Arsenal, poorly against Villa and poorly against Newcastle. He is in the bottom third of our performers this season IMO along with Sanchez and Sissoko

2. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Dimitar Berbatov

And you are entitled to that opinion. I dont share it. Such is life.

3. FatBloke

FatBloke Richard Gough

Fair point. Thinking it through a bit, that's more what I meant, except that I got caught up in the 90s and started wittering on about crosses. Force of habit.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Ryan Nelsen

Liverpool's fullbacks are also excellent crossers of the ball. As much as we get the ball wide with Rose, his delivery is very poor. KWP seems ok but we haven't really gotten him wide in space as yet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

5. FatBloke

FatBloke Richard Gough

I've always found this strange, given that he's left footed and started as a winger. Davies has a better cross on him, as has Verts. On the right, Walker was alright but Trippier was a definite upgrade as far as crossing was concerned.

6. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Colin Calderwood

If only Liverpool had a striker who was good in the air

I know their FBs got a huge Number of assists but it’s not from traditional crosses. It’s clever passing and movement more than anything

StephenH likes this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Ryan Nelsen

Yeah, I'm rather jealous of their FBs decent enough defensively, but excellent in attacks. Great movement and understanding of patterns and the aforementioned good technique for crosses or passes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

8. parklane1

parklane1 Chris Jones

I know its all about opinions but i really do not get the slagging of Winks for me he is the least of our worrys.

FatBloke, mjc23, Gazza Dazzla and 2 others like this.
  9. Bedfordspurs

400%
    Our issue is we have a reliance on a player who is a workhorse but technically limited ...
    Can’t say his name for fear of death threats and abuse
    Football so simple if you get your best players playing in their best positions

10. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Pedro Mendes

Choose your spacegoat wisely.

11. Bedfordspurs

Yes Obi Wan

metalgear likes this.
  12. Bedfordspurs

Does winks get a credit for a failed pass for the goal on Saturday?

What about the shot at the beginning of the second half?

13. NaijaSpurs

NaijaSpurs Jimmy Neighbour

Yesterday's performance was reminiscent of that against Madrid, I want to see more of that. When he plays like that no matter who we sign he will always have a place in our midfield

14. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Frederic Kanoute

Yup, much more like it...

BAEAA002-369C-42EA-9163-54240ACC1F79.png

15. braineclipse

braineclipse Colin Calderwood

Hopefully him starting this game signals that he's ready to play twice a week quite frequently.

If he can stay away from injuries I think he will regain his best form fairly quickly and hopefully push on from there.

16. Raziel

Raziel Pat van den Hauwe

Actually disagree, he will be a big part of our worries because he is part of a crucial part of the team that has/is not working

The two issues the team has is RB and the CM pair in front of back line.

Unfortunately a bad day for Winks has a disproportional impact on team performance vs. Son, Lucas, Lamela, Kane

I thought he had a decent game yesterday, not amazing as some people seem to think .. for me he was better Saturday.

17. parklane1

parklane1 Chris Jones

I do get the point you are making about the crucial parts of the team and mistakes being more important, however i have to disagree that Winks is a weak spot. I think he is playing with various players alongside him ( and that does not help any player to settle into a rhythm). Winks is also/has been playing deeper then he usually would and imo that is not where he is at his best.

If Dier can come back from his problems ( injury/health) i believe that Winks will push further forward ( we saw a lot of that from him last night) and become a better player.

18. FatBloke

FatBloke Richard Gough

CM is so often about solid partnerships. Like Keane and Scholes, Vieira and Petit, Dembele and Sandro (briefly).

Winks and Sissoko is never going to be a top class partnership, and that's without considering the revolving door that is our midfield.

I've got high hopes for Winks plus either N'Dombele or Lo Celso though. Winksbele or Lo Winkso perhaps.

19. P.D.

P.D. Mauricio Taricco

But if he played so well yesterday then how come we were rarely in control of the game? It can't always be other players fault. He's there to control the tempo, slow it down or speed it up depending what's required and we got overwhelmed and couldn't maintain possession and suffocate the game

20. StephenH

StephenH Steffen Freund

Winksy catches my eye because of busy workmanlike hustle bustle style!
    I am though now starting to question his end product.
    All the ’one of our own’ noise that surrounds him does tend to mask his true contribution.

galeforce and metalgear like this.