1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Kane MBE

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by thfcsteff, 29 Jan 2013.

1. parklane1

parklane1 Paul Stewart

I will never understand some fans in todays game who turn their noses up at actually going out and winning something. And before the usual suspects jump in and say its all about prioritising targets well we have done that in the last few years and what trophys do we have to show for doing just that.

2. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Paul Stalteri

So what happens when the team returns from the Arctic Circle or Outer Siberia? Players knackered, will to live sapped out of them and we drop three valuable points in a competition that actually does matter.

No thank you.

3. Spur of the moment

Note that both Chelsea and Leicester won the PL in Europe-free seasons

The Europa is the toughest of trophies to win because of the sheer number of games, the distances travelled, the drain on the squad and the predictable negative impact on PL results the following Sunday. True if you win it -a very very big IF - if you qualify for the CL the following season but I'd wager not being in the competition gives you a much better chance of achieving that.

If it's just tin-pot trophies your after then save your legs and put your effort into the domestic cup competitions, far far greater chance of winning one of them for much less effort but about the same financial reward I'd wager.

4. galeforce

galeforce Sonny Walters

As long as the europa league carries a CL place it’s a value competition, if you are not in the CL you might as well not exist.

5. Legohamster

Legohamster Steve Carr

Tin Pot trophies?

Take them out our history and we have won 2 leagues

We ain’t winning the league any time soon and we blew our chance at winning the CL - luck like that doesn’t come round that often.

parklane1, Robbo and glasgowspur like this.
  6. Spur of the moment

Not at all. All our FA Cups were won when it was regarded as either THE trophy to win or at least on a par with the League. Nowadays clubs don't bother fielding their strongest teams until the SF so that tells you how much they currently think its worth.

As for the The League Cup, it has always been regarded as something of a consolation prize. Aka as 'The Worthless Cup' it is nowadays the 'easiest' to win because it takes so few games to get to the final.

For me the only trophies that matter now are the PL title and the CL. Of course its good to win any sort of trophy and I appreciate how much others still value the domestic cups but for me the reality is they are relatively insignificant nowadays.

7. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Pat van den Hauwe

Regarding your last paragraph, I almost feel the same, F A cup and LC are only the gloss on a good season if you've already won the league.
    I also think in changing managers we've went from someone who focused on the big prizes, even when the odds were against us, to someone who will focus on whatever one they think they can win, and to hell with consequences.

Robspur12 and Spur of the moment like this.
  8. StephenH

StephenH Andy Thompson

The money from our champions league endeavours has massively contributed to Spurs owning one of the best grounds in the world.
    Our trophy is huge!

9. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Steve Carr

£637 million of debt says that that Banks own it! ;)

10. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Vedran Corluka

Isn’t it normal to be in debt after building a new stadium? Unless you go down the West Ham route of renting one of course, but I don’t think that’s a good business model, I’m no expert on this sort of thing though.

11. monkeybarry

monkeybarry Steve Carr

Winning managers understand that winning is a habit. It starts with games and then becomes trophies.

12. Spur of the moment

A vacuous statement when you think about it because only one club can win a cup competition, so the all the rest are by definition losers.

There will always be outriders but by and large it's big money that buys you the winning habit and big money that wins you trophies. So unless you throw lorry loads of dosh at it the odds are heavily stacked against you.

Robspur12 likes this.
  13. monkeybarry

monkeybarry Steve Carr

You can't do it without money for sure.
    But it's more than that - plenty of examples of club throwing money around but still winning jack all.
    We have money.
    Not oil money level or big history level, but still a good amount

14. Spur of the moment

We can win a cup, for sure, and hopefully we will, but for me it's not worth prioritising over qualifying for the CL.

15. monkeybarry

monkeybarry Steve Carr

This season CL is a big ask
    6th or 7th and FA Cup is better than 5th and fudge all.

It shows we can win. We have a reputation for being bottlers - and it's accurate. To change that you have to win things

16. indospurs

indospurs Tim Sherwood

we won the carling cup in 2008

did sweet FA before ramos got the heave ho and the messiah that was Arry came in when we was 2 points from 8 games...

17. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Paul Robinson

If Mourinho can break our FA Cup semi-final hoodoo then that’d prove beyond all doubt that he’s the special one!

18. Bullet

Bullet Les Ferdinand

Snide dig.
    We are all just passengers on the Good Ship Tottenham. It will sail on for centuries, long after we are all in the dirt and nobody remembers that time Leonhardsen flicked it on for Iversen to slot home.

19. Jordinho

Jordinho Tony Marchi Staff Member

“News on Harry we don’t have, and if you ask me every time we come here the answer will be the same. We expect him to be out until mid-April, end of April, May, next season, I don’t know.”

20. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Steve Carr

It tends to be wages that the key. There is pretty much a direct correlation in terms of the clubs spending the most on wages winning all the main trophies.