• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grealish

Met the valuation from the start of the summer 24 hours before the window closed. Fair play to Villa for not putting up with it.

By all accounts it could have been a much lower price before they were negotiating the new money coming in, but they didn't want to negotiate with us while that was going on. Since their new money was announced, it's always looked like a more difficult deal to complete.

But maybe the equation in Levy's head is - better to see if we can get some money off later on, and if we have to pay a bit extra at the end, when you work the probabilities, you can see why he made the moves he did. Because he doesn't do this with everyone. He didn't do it with Sanchez. He didn't do it with Wanyama. He didn't do it with Janssen either (there was some negotiation but not right to the wire). I can think of many players we wrapped up early - Jan, Aurier seemed pretty cut and dry. I know PSG were keen to sell but we didn't feel the need to take them right to the wire on it. Davies / Siggy was a deal that got done pretty easily. Dier got in early. Son came in relatively early.

I really think he's waited it out because we aren't that desperate for Grealish. I think we really wanted Wanyama, so we didn't muck about. We really wanted Son, so we got him. We really wanted Sanchez, so we got him (maybe a little back-and-forth there but we didn't take them to the wire). I don't think we were desperate for Berahino, and it looks like Grealish's price is getting to a point where I can see Poch just going 'he isn't worth it'.

I think he actually backs his managers quite well. He'll typically move hard if it's a first 11 player, if there's a really obvious spot for that player, and we know they are probably the best option. When there's so many other moving parts, I think he tries to get the best deal he can. I seem to remember Lloris being a tough deal to complete, but lo and behold AVB didn't play him for 3 months, so maybe he wasn't pushing Levy to get it done urgently.

No it does not ( unless you are take that view as i said), if he deals with ( lets say a couple of chairman) then if he treats dealings the same way the chances are that they make all make the same type of comment when he will not bend over for anyone of them.

As i say it all depends on your point of view and which point you are trying to make.

Not really sure what you're saying...we do seem to have a lot of deals which get strung out and where the chairman on the other side says we were painful to deal with...

I don’t understand how we can only decide we actually want a player 24 hours before the transfer window closes. Why does it take us this long to decide to make a bid despite talking to the player’s representatives all summer?

Not really sure what you're saying...we do seem to have a lot of deals which get strung out and where the chairman on the other side says we were painful to deal with...

Simple, other chairman think he is difficult to deal with, that is probably because he will not bend over and accept their biased views. Would you rather they say he is a pussycat and will bow to their demands?

Anyone who deals at the big table has to be difficult ( in any trade) otherwise they will not progress very far. As i say i think it depends on what angle you are coming from, personally i want my chairman to get as good a deal as possible and if that leads to him being called difficult then so be it.

There are others who ' (for whatever reason) seem to want our chairman to be " less difficult" and that is strange if it comes from Spurs fans.

Id say the valuation of the player that was put on him by the people we are currently negotiating with is the important figure personally
The previous owner was desperately trying to maintain sole ownership of the club. Villa had a number of payments to make and a terrible cash flow problem. Early in the summer we could’ve secured the player for a reasonable fee to enable Villa to meet their outgoings. Ignore FFP, it was staying afloat that was their primary concern only 6 weeks or so ago. The takeover happened quickly after their owner panicked. The takeover alleviated their cash flow issues, FFP is still a major problem, but not one that will be solved by selling Grealish so Villa might as well hold on to him, take the fine and push for promotion.

Simple, other chairman think he is difficult to deal with, that is probably because he will not bend over and accept their biased views. Would you rather they say he is a pussycat and will bow to their demands?

Anyone who deals at the big table has to be difficult ( in any trade) otherwise they will not progress very far. As i say i think it depends on what angle you are coming from, personally i want my chairman to get as good a deal as possible and if that leads to him being called difficult then so be it.

There are others who ' (for whatever reason) seem to want our chairman to be " less difficult" and that is strange if it comes from Spurs fans.

Obviously don't want him to be a pussycat, however I dont believe its in the best interests of the club, both as a business and a football club, to string negotiations out as much as we do. If the goal of the club was to maximise the profit from player trading then ok, its the right thing to do. But I don't believe that's the goal of the club (business or football club).

My daytime job is buying and selling businesses. If I held out for deals which we're weighted to the extreme in our favour as Levy appears to do with buying players for Spurs, then I'd quickly be out of work! I look for deals which are a 'good' deal, and weighted in our favour in terms of risk/reward, but unless there's some reason why you have extreme bargaining power vs there others, then you won't get an extreme deal given the other side is a rationale, educated investor

Obviously don't want him to be a pussycat, however I dont believe its in the best interests of the club, both as a business and a football club, to string negotiations out as much as we do. If the goal of the club was to maximise the profit from player trading then ok, its the right thing to do. But I don't believe that's the goal of the club (business or football club).

My daytime job is buying and selling businesses. If I held out for deals which we're weighted to the extreme in our favour as Levy appears to do with buying players for Spurs, then I'd quickly be out of work! I look for deals which are a 'good' deal, and weighted in our favour in terms of risk/reward, but unless there's some reason why you have extreme bargaining power vs there others, then you won't get an extreme deal given the other side is a rationale, educated investor

And you know Levy is pushing for a extreme view and weighted to the extreme in our favour?, how do you know that is what is happening? by listening to the moans of rival chairman who are probably trying to get a extreme deal in their favour?

In all honesty you do not know that ( and neither do i) so like i said in my earlier post it depends on what view you want too push out there.

And you know Levy is pushing for a extreme view and weighted to the extreme in our favour?, how do you know that is what is happening? by listening to the moans of rival chairman who are probably trying to get a extreme deal in their favour?

In all honesty you do not know that ( and neither do i) so like i said in my earlier post it depends on what view you want too push out there.

Nope, of course I dont have conclusive proof. However if you combine the number of chairman at other clubs which you hear making similar comments with the number of our deals which take an age to get done (both completed and which fall-over, like potentially Grealish) then its suggests that its true, or if not a very low probability conincidence

You’re right on this. Levy is a very tough negotiator and his reputation isn’t what it is for no reason. He’s got silly money for deadwood and you have multiple people saying he’s tough to deal with. Fergie said it and Levy fudged them hard twice for Berbatov and Carrick (massive fees at the time). Harry said Levy was always doing last minute deals and loved it. I have a journo contact who says Levy was bounced out of the Bernabeau about 12 years ago for the amount of clauses he tried to put in a deal.

But as someone said above, the test of how successful he is is if he gets the deal done. With 18 hours to go, he’s gotten nothing done. Maybe he’ll pull off something, I was convinced all week he would but I’m less confident right now.

You’re right on this. Levy is a very tough negotiator and his reputation isn’t what it is for no reason. He’s got silly money for deadwood and you have multiple people saying he’s tough to deal with. Fergie said it and Levy fudged them hard twice for Berbatov and Carrick (massive fees at the time). Harry said Levy was always doing last minute deals and loved it. I have a journo contact who says Levy was bounced out of the Bernabeau about 12 years ago for the amount of clauses he tried to put in a deal.

But as someone said above, the test of how successful he is is if he gets the deal done. With 18 hours to go, he’s gotten nothing done. Maybe he’ll pull off something, I was convinced all week he would but I’m less confident right now.

Lets speak in 17 hours then!

Lets speak in 17 hours then!

Regardless of what happens, I think your point is correct. If you’re a chairman of another club, the last person you want ringing you or you want to be ringing is Daniel Levy because he’s a prick to deal with and he’ll try to squeeze every penny out of the deal.

Nope, of course I dont have conclusive proof. However if you combine the number of chairman at other clubs which you hear making similar comments with the number of our deals which take an age to get done (both completed and which fall-over, like potentially Grealish) then its suggests that its true, or if not a very low probability conincidence

He is a hard trader we have already concluded that and the best chairman in any trade usually are, you keep saying the "number of chairman" well it stands to reason ( seeing as he deals with a few of them) that he works for our benefit not theirs, so if they do not get the deal loaded in their favour they are bound to say that about him.

All that suggests to me is that he wants what is best for Spurs and i find it funny that any Spurs fan should/would have a problem with that. As i say its all done to what view you want to push, you think he is difficult because other chairman say he is ( the same chairman that do not get the deal THEY want).

He is a hard trader we have already concluded that and the best chairman in any trade usually are

There comes a point though when trying to get the best deal possible isn't good if it stops the deal happening. Being a touch negotiator is good, but when that gets to an extreme and someone wants something approaching the perfect deal, then its not good

All that suggests to me is that he wants what is best for Spurs

Yep, clearly he wants the best for Spurs, but that doesnt mean he's perfect or not open to criticism. Just like POch with his substitutions, or any weaknesses which players have, there's no reason why we cant criticise him

£25 million before the take over.

The thing that makes me laugh is you are presenting this as though it is black and white. It isn’t. It never was. In fact, if there is any “blame” it lies with NKoudou, Janssen, Dembele, Sissoko and Llorente among others that we would’ve been quite happy to ship versus potential incomings which have proven chaotic. You appear to have some inside knowledge if I remember correctly, so you will know that this window has seen more “pseudo agents” popping up to muddy the waters than in any other window. Let us see where we are tomorrow evening.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

But again, SAF (a man I greatly respect BTW) would complain! Levy was right in both those cases as the players were each tapped up and unsettled to the point of being useless to us! Levy produced miracles with Berba IMO. Carrick had his head turned so far he looked like Linda Blair.

Far from Levy being “a bastard to deal with” he has established ground whereby we stand our ground as firmly as Liverpool, City, United, etc and are no longer a club which can be royally rogered simply via tapping up our best talent!

Sorry - I just find the “bastard Levy negotiator” boring. FWIW I am sure he is hard to deal with. Good!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back