• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grealish

I'm a big Levy fan however sounds like you can add the Villa owners to all the other Chairman/owners who say that he's difficult to deal with. There's obviously nothing wrong with being a tough negotiator but ultimately you need to get the deal done...better to get a deal which is slightly better than fair, rather than losing the deal just because you want an amazing deal
Can't you just apply the same logic to the Villa chairman?

I'm a big Levy fan however sounds like you can add the Villa owners to all the other Chairman/owners who say that he's difficult to deal with. There's obviously nothing wrong with being a tough negotiator but ultimately you need to get the deal done...better to get a deal which is slightly better than fair, rather than losing the deal just because you want an amazing deal

He wouldn't be a better chairman if he was a rollover.

He wouldn't be a better chairman if he was a rollover.

I didnt say that did I? As per my post, there's nothing wrong with being a tough negotiator at all. However if you imagine that '5' is a fair deal, equally balanced between buyer and seller, and 10 is massively in the favour of buyer and 0 in the seller favour to a similar amount, it feels like we always want to get something at 10, whereas in reality getting something around a '6' is a good deal and you should get it gone.

I didnt say that did I? As per my post, there's nothing wrong with being a tough negotiator at all. However if you imagine that '5' is a fair deal, equally balanced between buyer and seller, and 10 is massively in the favour of buyer and 0 in the seller favour to a similar amount, it feels like we always want to get something at 10, whereas in reality getting something around a '6' is a good deal and you should get it gone.
Why shouldn't the other negotiator get it done at 4?

Why shouldn't the other negotiator get it done at 4?

He might do, and at that point you need to consider whether there are reasons to do a deal which is worse than 'fair' - for example, few alternatives, lack of time to get alternatives etc etc

As I said above, this sounds like yet another club saying that Levy is extremely difficult to deal with, which is different to being a tough negotiator

I think that it is a little more complex than that.

I don't think Grealish is bad at all. I just think he's significantly less good than Eriksen, Alli, Dembele and Dier.

So anywhere he fits into the first team makes us worse. I don't want to pay £25m to make us worse.

We shouldnt be paying £25m to make us worse. We should be paying it to replace GKN or Sissok with a home-grown player with more potential and who fits our team better

At work, when we might talk about a ‘tough negotiator’ it’s always referring to someone who is a very good, strong negotiator. Tough negotiators don’t generally fail to get the deal done (to the extent they want to get it done). If that were the case, no one would be bothered about dealing with them. Any negotiator worth their salt - and especially ‘tough’ negotiators - know exactly what they want, know what their top/bottom line is, and have a number of strategies to attain that goal. Sure, it doesn’t always work out. But Levy is not stupid. If we lose out on a transfer it won’t be because Levy has been too tough. It will because we went as far as we were prepared to go. That limit will have been agreed internally in advance.

As an aside, for all the talk about Levy being the problem, I do believe he’s been given a challenging remit by Poch. We don’t want any player, not even any generally good player, we only want only players who can improve us in very specific areas.
Poch’s demands combined with Levy’s fiscal prudence are not a recipe for an abundant transfer window.

I think that it is a little more complex than that.

Obviously but your reply was very simply, hence a very simple reply. My point being that there is a point in negotiating deals (whether being for houses, companies, real estate or footballers) where you move from being a tough negotiator trying to get a good deal, to being downright difficult. And whilst I like Levy and what he's done for the club, there are repeated chairman/owners who say that he's a difficult person to deal with, in a non-complimentary way

We shouldnt be paying £25m to make us worse. We should be paying it to replace GKN or Sissok with a home-grown player with more potential and who fits our team better

Grealish was always just a Holtby. A bargain that fell in our laps that we could turn over and not lose on. He's stopped being that now, so there's no appeal.

Now he's become a Sissoko - an overpriced, high chance flop, who we're having to sign because there's so much pressure to sign anyone

At work, when we might talk about a ‘tough negotiator’ it’s always referring to someone who is a very good, strong negotiator. Tough negotiators don’t generally fail to get the deal done (to the extent they want to get it done). If that were the case, no one would be bothered about dealing with them. Any negotiator worth their salt - and especially ‘tough’ negotiators - know exactly what they want, know what their top/bottom line is, and have a number of strategies to attain that goal. Sure, it doesn’t always work out. But Levy is not stupid. If we lose out on a transfer it won’t be because Levy has been too tough. It will because we went as far as we were prepared to go. That limit will have been agreed internally in advance.

As an aside, for all the talk about Levy being the problem, I do believe he’s been given a challenging remit by Poch. We don’t want any player, not even any generally good player, we only want only players who can improve us in very specific areas.
Poch’s demands combined with Levy’s fiscal prudence are not a recipe for an abundant transfer window.

Lets see what we get done in the next 18 hours instead then!

Obviously but your reply was very simply, hence a very simple reply. My point being that there is a point in negotiating deals (whether being for houses, companies, real estate or footballers) where you move from being a tough negotiator trying to get a good deal, to being downright difficult. And whilst I like Levy and what he's done for the club, there are repeated chairman/owners who say that he's a difficult person to deal with, in a non-complimentary way

Of course they may say that because he will not bend over for them. It depends on what view you take i guess.

Of course they may say that because he will not bend over for them. It depends on what view you take i guess.

Right, and when the comment comes from 1 person, you shrug it off - could just be that person having a different view or, as you say, annoyed that he wouldnt bend over for them. However when it happens repeatedly, it starts to suggest there's some truth in it

Grealish was always just a Holtby. A bargain that fell in our laps that we could turn over and not lose on. He's stopped being that now, so there's no appeal.

Now he's become a Sissoko - an overpriced, high chance flop, who we're having to sign because there's so much pressure to sign anyone
Was he? Nice of Poch to tell you that.

Right, and when the comment comes from 1 person, you shrug it off - could just be that person having a different view or, as you say, annoyed that he wouldnt bend over for them. However when it happens repeatedly, it starts to suggest there's some truth in it

No it does not ( unless you are take that view as i said), if he deals with ( lets say a couple of chairman) then if he treats dealings the same way the chances are that they make all make the same type of comment when he will not bend over for anyone of them.

As i say it all depends on your point of view and which point you are trying to make.

In which case he's massively, massively overpriced.

Back