• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grealish

Levy, rightly or wrongly has tied us to that strategy not the stadium. We could afford a 70m player and the wages but Levy obviously doesn’t think it’s a risk worth taking.

Time has proven his strategy and vision right for the last 17 years so, despite my grave misgivings this time, he’s more than earned the right to make the call if he thinks it’s the right thing to do.

That’s my thinking also.
But there a fair few who expected some heavy spending this window with the “stadium won’t impact on transfers”.
I personally thought that wishful thinking.
Levy is da man as far as I’m concerned as you say!

Those players were young and ahead of the curve.

If Grealish had been at this point in his development at 20 we'd have good reason to believe he'd scale the heights they have. He's older than Alli and is way behind him in his development. Dier and Alli cost £5m each, Davies £10m and Kane nothing. £25m+ is a massive punt.

I think he will be great under Poch’s tutelage as long as there is a willingness to learn under that barnet. I believe there is. It is a good point re:Alli, but fair is fair, we’re talking about a once in a generation genius that even our own supporters sometimes have trouble recognising.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Everything, actually... starting from Levy's past history to Bruce's press conference briefings to consistent media reporting that we only submitted a firm bid this week!
Ignore the media - their job is to generate clicks/sales, not publish facts.

As for Bruce's comments, even if we take them at face value (and he clearly has an agenda to sell) what's to say we hadn't spent the summer chasing a good midfielder and Grealish wasn't our last resort backup?

His brother has been on Twitter rubbishing an article written that he wants to run down his contract and is unhappy.

So what's @AVB 's new avatar going to be should Grealish not sign?

:p

CBqCKhxUgAEJ6nw.jpg

Everything, actually... starting from Levy's past history to Bruce's press conference briefings to consistent media reporting that we only submitted a firm bid this week!

I am not defending Levy per se, but I believe we were looking at other targets as well. I believe we would've signed him earlier but could not shift out the players we wanted to shift/thought we would get out. Also not necessarily his fault in so much as he cannot give them away and most are either semi-crocks or not good enough. I include Toby in that mix somewhere. Even if we'd got one or two out earlier, I'd say we'd have done this by now and still tried for our others. Got to say, I believe we will still end up with Grealish. But again, not sure we can blame it all on Levy this time, albeit the temptation is enormous!

Those players were young and ahead of the curve.

If Grealish had been at this point in his development at 20 we'd have good reason to believe he'd scale the heights they have. He's older than Alli and is way behind him in his development. Dier and Alli cost £5m each, Davies £10m and Kane nothing. £25m+ is a massive punt.

You’re quoting sums from a pre Neymar, Mbappe, Coutinho, Pogba world first of all.

Secondly, I don’t think Grealish is anyway near as bad as you’re saying. I don’t think if he played with our good players, after a few weeks of training he would look ‘way behind’ at all.

I don’t think we’re desperate for him, but I do think he’s the precise type of signing that would fit in with our style of play, our culture and way of doing things.

There’s probably a broader point here around players ‘breaking through’ slightly later too because of the importance of systems in modern football. There’s a lot less ‘put them out there and see how they do’ and certainly young players that are well drilled can and do make it through. But slightly older players that demonstrate a high degree of tactical awareness to match their talent can also do it. Or, as I suspect in the case of Grealish, big clubs wouldn’t have touched him because of his past party boy lifestyle and lack of focus. But since his epiphany as a result of a life threatening injury, I’m sure the word has got around the game that he has grown up. Not having that he’s 22, therefore any potential he had must be realised before now.

I'm a big Levy fan however sounds like you can add the Villa owners to all the other Chairman/owners who say that he's difficult to deal with. There's obviously nothing wrong with being a tough negotiator but ultimately you need to get the deal done...better to get a deal which is slightly better than fair, rather than losing the deal just because you want an amazing deal

You’re quoting sums from a pre Neymar, Mbappe, Coutinho, Pogba world first of all.

Secondly, I don’t think Grealish is anyway near as bad as you’re saying. I don’t think if he played with our good players, after a few weeks of training he would look ‘way behind’ at all.

I don’t think we’re desperate for him, but I do think he’s the precise type of signing that would fit in with our style of play, our culture and way of doing things.

There’s probably a broader point here around players ‘breaking through’ slightly later too because of the importance of systems in modern football. There’s a lot less ‘put them out there and see how they do’ and certainly young players that are well drilled can and do make it through. But slightly older players that demonstrate a high degree of tactical awareness to match their talent can also do it. Or, as I suspect in the case of Grealish, big clubs wouldn’t have touched him because of his past party boy lifestyle and lack of focus. But since his epiphany as a result of a life threatening injury, I’m sure the word has got around the game that he has grown up. Not having that he’s 22, therefore any potential he had must be realised before now.
I don't think Grealish is bad at all. I just think he's significantly less good than Eriksen, Alli, Dembele and Dier.

So anywhere he fits into the first team makes us worse. I don't want to pay £25m to make us worse.

Back