• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grass roots and the future

monkeybarry

Ian Walker
Article from the beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26065945

Council-run football pitches used by thousands of amateur teams each week are in an "abhorrent state", the Football Association has told the BBC.

The future of the game is under threat unless there is a move from grass to artificial pitches, the FA told Radio 5 live's Victoria Derbyshire programme.

Pitches are not only waterlogged after heavy rain but are also suffering from overuse in many cases, the FA says.

About 80% of amateur football is played on council-run grass pitches.

Sport England says about 1.8 million people play football each week.

Many pitches were once heavily subsidised, but a squeeze on local government budgets has meant the cost of hiring them has often gone up - in some cases by as much as 300%.

But the increased fees have not always led to improved facilities, with some pitches poorly maintained and suffering from use for multiple games.

"The state of local authority pitches is abhorrent," said Pete Ackerley, the FA's senior national game development manager.

"There has to be a move to sustainable artificial pitches. The average grass pitch can hold two to three games a week - artificial pitches can host up to 60 teams training and matches.

"Football has had a huge subsidy for so long - now local authorities have tough decisions to make."

Synthetic pitches are also much more likely to be floodlit, for play on winter nights, said Mr Ackerley.

'Falling behind'
In January, campaign group Save Grassroots Football urged clubs across the country to refuse to play their matches in protest about the rising costs of hiring poor-quality pitches.

Many games were abandoned anyway because of rain.

Campaign organiser Kenny Saunders, who runs Woolton FC in Merseyside, told the Victoria Derbyshire programme: "We've had nine games called off in a row on pitches that are overpriced and not suitable for football anyway.

"If a child missed nine weeks of school, they'd fall behind. It's no wonder we're falling behind in football."

One club that says it has been affected by poor facilities is Rockleaze Rangers FC in Bristol, which claims a lack of good-quality facilities means local youngsters are being turned away.

An under-14 at the club said he was jealous of Spanish youngsters, who rarely play on grass, enabling them to "learn from a young age to play well".

The club said it had regularly had funding applications for an all-weather surface rejected, and was currently playing on pitches with an uncertain future.

What are your thoughts?

The muddy, crappy pitches are part of the "charm" of sunday lge - but after a while they can get a bit tiresome, and often dangerous.
I remember many of the St Albans pitches being on quite a slope, creating unnatural movements etc which can cause injuries.

But moving to artifical pitches would cost a huge amount - St Albans has something like 60 sunday lge teams, which is a lot of pitch space to find.

Would you be happy to pay double the current subs you pay at the moment to play on more reliable pitches?

Is grass and mud the lifeblood of "grass roots" for you?

the only way the national team will ever be more than the way they are is to establish a technical plan with the current set ups across the country...

every country across the world does this, even the "smaller" nations such as Poland and Ukraine are a match for England these days!

They should determine a style, it's easy enough, pick a successful model like City's or Byerns style... and work on implementing those coaching styles to all ages... forget about the results, set up loads of 3v3, 5v5 7v7 and then building up to 11v11 tournements by the age of 18 for these youth players and stick with it...

what makes England so great that they just hoof to the big man?? England will never be more than the stoke of national football without actually doing it instead of a few good sound bites

They are actually making changes into how kids play. Where my team play they've done away with competitive leagues for U9s and below so it focuses mainly on kids having fun and wanting to stick with the sport than feel under pressure from parents to win every match. Results aren't recorded and there's no real league format. The introduction of respect barriers have been a big help too.

My team are U10s and play 6 a side. One rule the league have introduced is that the opposite team have to retreat back to the half way line when there is a goal kick to encourage the kids to play the ball out from the defence rather than just hoofing it up the pitch. Also, playing at 6 a side gives them all a lot more touches of the ball and gives them more confidence. I don't think anyone plays 11 a side until they get to about U14s.

Last edited:
Turned up a few years back at a ground and as the teams were lining up a few bits of flint came to the surface. The referee inspected the entire pitch and both teams then spent 20 minutes picking out flint from every inch of it. By the end we had a massive pile of the stuff, if the game had been played i'm certain a few of us would've ended up with bits embedded in our legs. Apparently the pitch was meant to have been taken care of weeks before.

Some of the article is correct and some tosh.
I play regular Saturday league football and yes some of the pitches can be bad at certain times if year. The councils are alit more cautious with there pitches now than five years ago. We used to play on some swamps but now they call it off as to keep the grounds tidy as possible.

As to overuse I can not see that especially in London a lot of clubs have there own grounds and when I play on council grounds like Firs farm or Donkey lane Enfield only a handful of pitches are used these days plenty sit empty on Saturdays. Five to ten years ago all would have been booked.

The club I play for has 2 pitches and club house and would never lay artificial as they also have two cricket square and the football pitches are on the outfields so it's no good to have artificial. A lot of clubs also have cricket clubs that share grounds.

And to add I would not want to play on it every week much prefer real grass pitches even if they can cut up.

I think the Fa are a bit out of touch if they are going to throw money about forget the artificial pitches most grounds suffer from lack of good drainage as small clubs don't have the money and councils don't want to spend budgets on football pitches.

They want to help start with drainage on council run and small clubs pitches would go along way to keeping better grass pitches.

The above applies to kids football also as a lot of clubs I play against and the one I play for have youth football at the same grounds

The only way they are going to save grass roots football is by not charging teams the earth to use the facilities. I run a youth team in kent and we get charged a ridiculous amount a year on pitch fee's for a **** poor standard 3g pitch. Clubs have to charge kids training subs to subsidise the pitch fee's and i have seen outstanding kids not playing football due to there parents not having that kind of money (our club is based on the outskirts of a deprived council estate). This is where we are going wrong.

The only way they are going to save grass roots football is by not charging teams the earth to use the facilities. I run a youth team in kent and we get charged a ridiculous amount a year on pitch fee's for a **** poor standard 3g pitch. Clubs have to charge kids training subs to subsidise the pitch fee's and i have seen outstanding kids not playing football due to there parents not having that kind of money (our club is based on the outskirts of a deprived council estate). This is where we are going wrong.

I think that this money should be coming from the Premier League. They have just signed a massive new TV deal, I would much rather see some of this money filter down to the grass roots, and aiding the development of the next generation of players, than further lining the pockets of players.

Totally agree. The pro clubs (all 92) should pay a proportionate amount to fund grass roots footy nationwide.

I think that this money should be coming from the Premier League. They have just signed a massive new TV deal, I would much rather see some of this money filter down to the grass roots, and aiding the development of the next generation of players, than further lining the pockets of players.

Come on, you and me both know the Premier League don't give a toss about grassroots or the development of footballers in this country when they can have some big name foreign stars come in which makes their product more marketable world wide whilst letting them retain the extra profit.

Come on, you and me both know the Premier League don't give a toss about grassroots or the development of footballers in this country when they can have some big name foreign stars come in which makes their product more marketable world wide whilst letting them retain the extra profit.

of course I know that and I am not expecting anything to change. I just think that the Premier League will waste the extra income and it could be put to better use elsewhere.

is asking the PL to pay for grass roots football the same as asking Google to fund computing lessons in schools?

is asking the PL to pay for grass roots football the same as asking Google to fund computing lessons in schools?

No.

I don't think that the average football fan is very well served by the Premier League. It takes lots and gives very little back. But, considering that it was set up so that the top clubs could keep more of the money, I don't see it ever changing anything of it's own accord.

yet the average fan (the customer) are queuing up to buy the product like never before

which other businesses in this country do "give back"?

yh i agree with gf. i dont see why pl clubs should "have" to pay for anything like this.
the only connection between pl clubs and grass-roots is that they both play football.
pl clubs do not owe grass-roots anything. and on the same token, grass-roots do not owe pl clubs anything.

yh i agree with gf. i dont see why pl clubs should "have" to pay for anything like this.
the only connection between pl clubs and grass-roots is that they both play football.
pl clubs do not owe grass-roots anything. and on the same token, grass-roots do not owe pl clubs anything.

Where do you think all the youth players at premiership football clubs come from? Every single footballer starts at grass roots level - the more money pumped in to that level the higher the number of players produced and more than likely the overall quality of players produced. It's an investment in the future of the sport.

Where do you think all the youth players at premiership football clubs come from? Every single footballer starts at grass roots level - the more money pumped in to that level the higher the number of players produced and more than likely the overall quality of players produced. It's an investment in the future of the sport.

it is, but surely we can say the same for any industry?

Back