• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Getting tired of work

I know exactly how you feel.

My wife recently tried to convince me that the stress of being responsible for so many people is more hard work than it's worth. Problem is that we've got used to a lifestyle that I'm fairly sure I couldn't support in another job - certainly not one that didn't come with this level of responsibility.
Seems like an easy job to me. You're on here all the time. ;)

I worked for a big software company for about 15 years. My first job out of college actually. Money was great and I was good at it. Over my time there I climbed the corporate ladder and with each step it became less enjoyable, and further away from what I liked doing. One Monday I looked down at my schedule and I saw 40 meetings scheduled for that week. 8 x 1-hour meetings a day for 5 days in a row, and it was at that moment I decided to walk away from it all.

So I packed it all in and went into business for myself doing something entirely different. I was making half the money but I got way more satisfaction out of the work. That first business led me to set up another business and then another. None of them made me rich but it kept a roof over our heads and each one taught me something new.

I did like working for myself but it is not for everyone.

4 hours? That is not much. I can function on 6 but 7hours is about my optimum. Anything more is waste of life.
It's very doable - another handy skill is to be able to bank sleep. If I have to pull an all-nighter on something I can be alright for a couple of days and catch up later when its more convenient.

I can get by on 5 hours sleep for days but then like to have an 8 or 9 hour once a week, I do love a cat nap of about 20 minutes a day in the afternoon, sets me up for the evening feeling more sharp.

Since I got ill I feel myself being a little more sluggish, on the days I do not do any exercise or go to the gym I have trouble getting to sleep, I have to be physically tired to sleep.

It's very doable - another handy skill is to be able to bank sleep. If I have to pull an all-nighter on something I can be alright for a couple of days and catch up later when its more convenient.

Bank sleep? I haven't heard that before. Are you the Duracell bunny?

3 years is probably the optimum time to do a job in early and mid career. Maybe 5-10 in leadership roles. Otherwise things start looping and get boring.

The Charles Handy theory of sigmoid curves is a good insight: https://www.dlsweb.rmit.edu.au/bus/public/ADG_showcase/manage_change/content/sigmoid_curve.htm. It basically says move to your next thing when the going is good and you have the energy, because otherwise you will plateau, stagnate, get resentful and maybe never get out the dip.

Bank sleep? I haven't heard that before. Are you the Duracell bunny?
It's easy with a bit of practice. You just need to get used to focusing when you're exhausted!

So I can pull an all-nighter on a Monday, go to work on Tues/Weds with a normal 4hrs in between and then get double sleep on Weds night and be fine.

3 years is probably the optimum time to do a job in early and mid career. Maybe 5-10 in leadership roles. Otherwise things start looping and get boring.

The Charles Handy theory of sigmoid curves is a good insight: https://www.dlsweb.rmit.edu.au/bus/public/ADG_showcase/manage_change/content/sigmoid_curve.htm. It basically says move to your next thing when the going is good and you have the energy, because otherwise you will plateau, stagnate, get resentful and maybe never get out the dip.
Been in my job for 28 years and still love it, must be doing something wrong.

I know very few people who have a dream job(calling). The majority work simply to have a better life insofar as salary etc are concerned.
The one person I know who is in his preferred career is struggling and constantly on about the cost of things, lack of disposable income etc.

Another friend wanted to leave an investment bank years ago to become a teacher was always on about it. He couldn't leave as the gulf in salary benefits is to big and would miss the lifestyle(not extravagant) he is accustomed to.

Money is always the main consideration to be taken into account when weighing these things up

True that! I also have friends who have started their "dream careers", but are also struggling, both with money issues, and also enjoying the actual work. I guess when push comes to shove, work is work at the end of the day, and once you get deadlines and pressure and other people's directions, doing what you like might not be so awesome afterall. Thanks for the reply. :)

If you have no wife or dependents then I would suggest go travelling, as cliche as it sounds, but it will help you find yourself. Time away with yourself and your own thoughts will do you wonders, maybe some volunteering in different parts of the world.

What I did was work to live rather then live to work. Work for me was to earn as much money so I could do the things I wanted in my spare time, like others have said working for yourself is great and I was happiest when I was running my own locksmith franchise for 9 years, was also when I earned the most money in my life so maybe the two are linked.

I have a wife and a little kid, so travelling isn't really an option at the moment - otherwise, I'd love to. :) Thanks for the tip!

Ive been in my job for 20 years come this June and I can honestly say for 90% of that time I have loved it

Things have changed this year since my large company got taken over by a massive company and it feels like we're no more than just a number now also we used to get given free shares and also the chance to invest in a save as you earn scheme

The two benefits we had are gone now so for the first time in a good while Ive started to think is it time to move on, not sure yet though

Ah, that sounds great! What do you do at the company? Glad to hear that someone's enjoying working life. :) Hopefully you'll find something good if you decide to quit - good luck anyway. :)

Thanks for this! I've been suspecting as much. I've changed jobs usually after a maximum of three years before, and haven't felt a fatigue like this earlier, as starting a new job has pretty much always worked out quite well.

I think it's a mix of a few things for me. I should probably just find a new job ASAP (but need to finish the education), get back into therapy, and somehow, not sure how, try to get back a solid sleeping pattern (very hard with a kid that wakes up several times over the night). I need at least 6 hours of good sleep myself, but I can't remember the last time I got that. Definitely plays into the whole situation, I reckon.

Thanks for this! I've been suspecting as much. I've changed jobs usually after a maximum of three years before, and haven't felt a fatigue like this earlier, as starting a new job has pretty much always worked out quite well.

I think it's a mix of a few things for me. I should probably just find a new job ASAP (but need to finish the education), get back into therapy, and somehow, not sure how, try to get back a solid sleeping pattern (very hard with a kid that wakes up several times over the night). I need at least 6 hours of good sleep myself, but I can't remember the last time I got that. Definitely plays into the whole situation, I reckon.

This time of year is also a bit of a bricker too. Things always look rosier by March when you can start smelling the early blossom.

I hate my company that I work for, but kind of like my job and have been in the same industry for 16 years now but wanted a change recently. I should be on much more money than I'm currently on (shouldn't we all) but my company pay badly so am looking for another job but the industry causes a lot of stress (as does my company) so have been looking for alternatives for a while now.

This week I was about to apply for the Mets but half way through the application read that you have to have lived in London for 3 years so that ruled that one out.

Thought about the football coaching which I would bloody love, even applied to Tottenham as I have a level 2 coaching badge but they never got back to me - however even at a club like spurs I reckon the money would be pretty low for a start out so GHod knows what it would be at a smaller club or a kids football coaching company.

Me and the Mrs are trying to start a family too so money will be essential so I'm kind of stuck in my industry unfortunately.

January is a difficult time of the year in he UK so maybe get over the hump, go through the motions til spring and then see where you are.

Back