• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Getting tired of work

Daisuk

Les Medley
I work with people with mental disabilities, and have done so for 6-7 years. It's never felt like my "calling" in life, so to speak (don't think I have one, to be honest), but I've been fairly happy doing the work, and have gotten a lot of praise for being good at it, and was offered to educate myself further in my field by my boss (so my education, a part-time one, over 4 years, is basically paid for - I get 60 days off work a year to go study - very priviledged situation to be in, in many ways).

Anyways, I'm 1 and a half year into my education, and over the past half a year, I've felt more a more tired of work. I'm not as engaged in it as I used to be, I find myself bored a lot at work, often day-dreaming and thinking about other things (like hobbies), which in turn sometimes makes me do a bad job (nothing crucial, but I'm more forgetful now than before). I transfered from one institution to another this fall, to get some variety, but I find the work to be pretty much the same.

Aaand of course, I've now started to doubt whether I should go through with the education, just quit and find something completely different (which of course is quite hard in this climate, where a lot of people are struggling to find work). It's not really an option though, as I have a 1 and a half year old kid, and a wife who's a freelance illustrator (so income varies a lot).

Anyways - who can relate, and what have you done about it? I got my dream job as a 22 year old, got to be a sports writer, and I basically watched and wrote about Tottenham and the Premier League for 2 years - yet I got bored of that too, and quit. It just felt kind of meaningless.

It should be said that I'm a bit of a neurotic person, I tend to get depressed quite a lot, and I'm sure this has got something to do with it, so will obviously seek out treatment to get it better, but in general, I must say, the prospect of working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 48 weeks a year, for the rest of my life, seems a bit of tough one presently, especially considering the work I'm currently in just isn't particularly engaging at the moment.

Excuse the rant. Maybe it doesn't belong here, but I just felt like venting. Maybe some of you can share some interesting perspectives. :)

I work in a job that I fell into 15 years ago and when I look back I can't believe I am where I am and that I am still in it. Funny how life works, I don't think I am in my calling

I work in a job that I fell into 15 years ago and when I look back I can't believe I am where I am and that I am still in it. Funny how life works, I don't think I am in my calling

But do you like it? Can I ask what you do? I should say that I don't necessarily believe in a "calling", but I quite often feel I would be better and more satisfied doing something else (grass being greener on the other side etc). But then again, every job I've ever had (it's been a few), I've gotten tired of. This one I have now is by far the one I've had for the longest, and I somehow thought that, since I consider it an "important" job (or you know, a service to soicety), it would contribute more to a general feeling of it being more meaningful - but now I'm not so sure.

I am the last person to give good advice to others about jobs as i have always got fed up with working. I made a decision in my early 20's that i was sick to death of working for someone else and decided to become self employed, since then i have done various activities and some were good some were less so. However i found working for myself was far better for me ( i have never been good at taking orders from some self importent arse hole) and things are a lot better.

During that time i have run a couple of businesses, i can honestly say that i find work boring ( like most people i guess) but i did find a lot of pleasure when i was coaching and enjoyed it. Its not for me to say but i noticed this sentence in you post

It should be said that I'm a bit of a neurotic person, I tend to get depressed quite a lot, .

Now as i said its not for me to say and its in a field i have no experiance in but if you do work with those that have mental problems are you sure that its helping you let alone those you try to help?.

Thanks for your reply, parklane! :) I've been considering going freelance myself (I am doing it part-time), but quite worried about nothing getting enough cash in, especially now when we have a kid as well. Food needs to be on the table, and we need a roof over our heads. I didn't necessarily need that back in the day, but a necessity now.

Regarding that last bit. My depression has been diagnosed as "dysthymia", a sort of long lived depression that's less severe than severe depression, and it very rarely debilitates sufferers from working. I'm quite good at hiding the symptoms, and pretty sure none of my co-workers know that I'm depressive. In other words - I get by, I smile and talk nicely with people, and I probably even seem happy to most people at work. Also, the people I work for are typically not suffering from depressions themselves, but rather mental disabilities, like autism and donw's syndrome, to name a couple. I have been working with a couple of depressed "patients" though, and have found that my experience with both the depression and how it is treated, has helped me in my work.

Of course, should the depression become any more severe, or should I become less able to do my job, I'd be inclined to agree that maybe I shouldn't be working in this environment. :)

Thanks for your reply, parklane! :) I've been considering going freelance myself (I am doing it part-time), but quite worried about nothing getting enough cash in, especially now when we have a kid as well. Food needs to be on the table, and we need a roof over our heads. I didn't necessarily need that back in the day, but a necessity now.

Regarding that last bit. My depression has been diagnosed as "dysthymia", a sort of long lived depression that's less severe than severe depression, and it very rarely debilitates sufferers from working. I'm quite good at hiding the symptoms, and pretty sure none of my co-workers know that I'm depressive. In other words - I get by, I smile and talk nicely with people, and I probably even seem happy to most people at work. Also, the people I work for are typically not suffering from depressions themselves, but rather mental disabilities, like autism and donw's syndrome, to name a couple. I have been working with a couple of depressed "patients" though, and have found that my experience with both the depression and how it is treated, has helped me in my work.

Of course, should the depression become any more severe, or should I become less able to do my job, I'd be inclined to agree that maybe I shouldn't be working in this environment. :)

Starting to work for yourself ( freelance) is not for everyone and there is no really good time to start, what i will say is that during my time as being self employed it always made me laugh that those who work for others seemed to think that being self employed is a doddle. They think its a easy way to work and the money pours in when in reality is anything but. The number of hours i worked ( did my own books etc, etc) took me into a lot more hours then i would have done if i had done the same work for a firm. But for me it meant more freedom from some arsehole watching what i was doing and moaning about everything.

I also had young kids when i first went self employed and it was hard at first ( this is when its importent to know that your partner is 1OO% behind your decision) but as i say the satisfaction of being my own boss was worth it. I also have suffered ( in the past) from depression and like you said this is the way i deal with it. Infact over the years i have had people say why are you singing and whistling all the time ( it used to drive others nuts).

I'm quite good at hiding the symptoms, and pretty sure none of my co-workers know that I'm depressive. In other words - I get by, I smile and talk nicely with people, and I probably even seem happy to most people at work.

Anyway mate do what you think is right for you and yours and i hope it works for you. As my old grand daddy used to say

"Do not kick it till you try it"

likewise

I don't really like what I do but i'm aware that I can almost certainly earn more doing this than anything else, now I have kids it would be irresponsible to walk away from it

Starting to work for yourself ( freelance) is not for everyone and there is no really good time to start, what i will say is that during my time as being self employed it always made me laugh that those who work for others seemed to think that being self employed is a doddle. They think its a easy way to work and the money pours in when in reality is anything but. The number of hours i worked ( did my own books etc, etc) took me into a lot more hours then i would have done if i had done the same work for a firm. But for me it meant more freedom from some ******** watching what i was doing and moaning about everything.

I also had young kids when i first went self employed and it was hard at first ( this is when its importent to know that your partner is 1OO% behind your decision) but as i say the satisfaction of being my own boss was worth it. I also have suffered ( in the past) from depression and like you said this is the way i deal with it. Infact over the years i have had people say why are you singing and whistling all the time ( it used to drive others nuts).

I'm quite good at hiding the symptoms, and pretty sure none of my co-workers know that I'm depressive. In other words - I get by, I smile and talk nicely with people, and I probably even seem happy to most people at work.

Anyway mate do what you think is right for you and yours and i hope it works for you. As my old grand daddy used to say

"Do not kick it till you try it"

Oh, I hear you! The wife is freelancing, and it's a ridiculous ratio at this point with the amount of works she's putting in vs the amount of money she's getting. I envy the balls needed to do something like that! :)

I'll probably stick with it, get the education done, and try to find a different kind of job (which is sort of the perk of this education). Hopefully I'll find something I like for a while. If not, I guess there's always other opportunities out there one way or the other. Thanks for the input! :)

likewise

I don't really like what I do but i'm aware that I can almost certainly earn more doing this than anything else, now I have kids it would be irresponsible to walk away from it

That's what I feel as well. It gets food on the table, and I earn more now than I would if I'd just jump one something completely different/new.

That's what I feel as well. It gets food on the table, and I earn more now than I would if I'd just jump one something completely different/new.

I don't think i'd continue to enjoy anything that carried the stress of also being my wage

I don't think i'd continue to enjoy anything that carried the stress of also being my wage

That's the thing! I feel the same way. I like writing, drawing and making music in my spare time, and have considered pursuing careers with all of them, but I'm afraid I'd stop enjoying them if I had to do them in order to get money.

That's the thing! I feel the same way. I like writing, drawing and making music in my spare time, and have considered pursuing careers with all of them, but I'm afraid I'd stop enjoying them if I had to do them in order to get money.

I think that is probably a very common feeling

I know very few people who have a dream job(calling). The majority work simply to have a better life insofar as salary etc are concerned.
The one person I know who is in his preferred career is struggling and constantly on about the cost of things, lack of disposable income etc.

Another friend wanted to leave an investment bank years ago to become a teacher was always on about it. He couldn't leave as the gulf in salary benefits is to big and would miss the lifestyle(not extravagant) he is accustomed to.

Money is always the main consideration to be taken into account when weighing these things up

likewise

I know exactly how you feel.

My wife recently tried to convince me that the stress of being responsible for so many people is more hard work than it's worth. Problem is that we've got used to a lifestyle that I'm fairly sure I couldn't support in another job - certainly not one that didn't come with this level of responsibility.

My wife recently tried to convince me that the stress of being responsible for so many people is more hard work than it's worth. Problem is that we've got used to a lifestyle that I'm fairly sure I couldn't support in another job - certainly not one that didn't come with this level of responsibility.

We're not that much hard work are we?

I work with people with mental disabilities, and have done so for 6-7 years. It's never felt like my "calling" in life, so to speak (don't think I have one, to be honest), but I've been fairly happy doing the work, and have gotten a lot of praise for being good at it, and was offered to educate myself further in my field by my boss (so my education, a part-time one, over 4 years, is basically paid for - I get 60 days off work a year to go study - very priviledged situation to be in, in many ways).

Anyways, I'm 1 and a half year into my education, and over the past half a year, I've felt more a more tired of work. I'm not as engaged in it as I used to be, I find myself bored a lot at work, often day-dreaming and thinking about other things (like hobbies), which in turn sometimes makes me do a bad job (nothing crucial, but I'm more forgetful now than before). I transfered from one institution to another this fall, to get some variety, but I find the work to be pretty much the same.

Aaand of course, I've now started to doubt whether I should go through with the education, just quit and find something completely different (which of course is quite hard in this climate, where a lot of people are struggling to find work). It's not really an option though, as I have a 1 and a half year old kid, and a wife who's a freelance illustrator (so income varies a lot).

Anyways - who can relate, and what have you done about it? I got my dream job as a 22 year old, got to be a sports writer, and I basically watched and wrote about Tottenham and the Premier League for 2 years - yet I got bored of that too, and quit. It just felt kind of meaningless.

It should be said that I'm a bit of a neurotic person, I tend to get depressed quite a lot, and I'm sure this has got something to do with it, so will obviously seek out treatment to get it better, but in general, I must say, the prospect of working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 48 weeks a year, for the rest of my life, seems a bit of tough one presently, especially considering the work I'm currently in just isn't particularly engaging at the moment.

Excuse the rant. Maybe it doesn't belong here, but I just felt like venting. Maybe some of you can share some interesting perspectives. :)

If you have no wife or dependents then I would suggest go travelling, as cliche as it sounds, but it will help you find yourself. Time away with yourself and your own thoughts will do you wonders, maybe some volunteering in different parts of the world.

What I did was work to live rather then live to work. Work for me was to earn as much money so I could do the things I wanted in my spare time, like others have said working for yourself is great and I was happiest when I was running my own locksmith franchise for 9 years, was also when I earned the most money in my life so maybe the two are linked.

does that not mean that it is not more hard work then it is worth? I mean it is worth it if other jobs are not worth it

Work to live not the other way round.

Always have things to look forward to, like holidays or experiences(music concerts etc)

almost exactly the same but i'm beholden to machines rather than people

Ive been in my job for 20 years come this June and I can honestly say for 90% of that time I have loved it

Things have changed this year since my large company got taken over by a massive company and it feels like we're no more than just a number now also we used to get given free shares and also the chance to invest in a save as you earn scheme

The two benefits we had are gone now so for the first time in a good while Ive started to think is it time to move on, not sure yet though

almost exactly the same but i'm beholden to machines rather than people
I'm a little jealous.

I used to work in IT and whilst machines are often unpredictable, they're always rational. They never expect you to give a fudge about their snotty kids and you never have to listen to them whine.

Back