• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

its exactly that...dodgy shoulder and knee

But he plays games - According to Wikipedia, Austin has played 355 games in nine years, albeit mostly at a lower level but that's still nearly 40 games per season . His fitness is not the issue and Sullivan is a clam

I read that Harry and QPR (basket case combo), put him on a weekly wage just behind Adebayor's on £85k per week and it is for this reason he's not moved on.

what about all the players we signed before the last day of the transfer window, do they not count?

Ofcourse they do but they won't mean nowt if kane gets injured.

If you are going for players and leaving it to the last minute and to meet their terms. You can't defend it, if it constantly means that you can't close the deal that will ultimately mean that we suffer on the pitch.

our current model means that we take a gamble on the opening three games of the season, then take time for new players to bed in ... by the time they do the season is well and truely underway.

If you cannot see how detrimental it is then don't worry about it.

For those that say levy is a genius, i dont diagree but he really tries to be too cute at times.

Apparently we went in with the full 25mil upfront so the money has always been there, so why leave it on the last minute?

With our current team we will struggle to be a top 8 team. This does not matter to Levy as all it means is that poch will get sacked, Levy will be forced to sell players wanting away like lloris eriksen etc ....

These funds generated will be pumped back into the transfer kitty while any new profits are kept away, giving an inflated spend total to appease fans.

New manager, new players and reset.

Ofcourse they do but they won't mean nowt if kane gets injured.

If you are going for players and leaving it to the last minute and to meet their terms. You can't defend it, if it constantly means that you can't close the deal that will ultimately mean that we suffer on the pitch.

our current model means that we take a gamble on the opening three games of the season, then take time for new players to bed in ... by the time they do the season is well and truely underway.

If you cannot see how detrimental it is then don't worry about it.

For those that say levy is a genius, i dont diagree but he really tries to be too cute at times.

Apparently we went in with the full 25mil upfront so the money has always been there, so why leave it on the last minute?

With our current team we will struggle to be a top 8 team. This does not matter to Levy as all it means is that poch will get sacked, Levy will be forced to sell players wanting away like lloris eriksen etc ....

These funds generated will be pumped back into the transfer kitty while any new profits are kept away, giving an inflated spend total to appease fans.

New manager, new players and reset.

i'm hoping the thinking is more long term than that, its not about this season, its about the future and year on year strengthening

i'm hoping the thinking is more long term than that, its not about this season, its about the future and year on year strengthening

Do you really think our current crop of better players are going to be around next year?

Building year on year would imply that we get a more balanced squad that is competitive .. i think we have gone backwards in this respect.

How long does a coach stay at spurs under levys tenure?

Do you really think our current crop of better players are going to be around next year?

Building year on year would imply that we get a more balanced squad that is competitive .. i think we have gone backwards in this respect.

some will go, others will arrive, if the structure is correct they can slot straight in, look at what Wenger has done at arsenal, he has replaced that entire side twice now with no noticeable change in style and very few issues with bedding players in, thats what we need

we've been pretty competitive in our 4 games so far, looking around the PL at this stage and only City are looking like a settled unit (shout out to Swansea as well)

yep, coaches haven't stayed for long, maybe we have the right one this time who may stay longer, similarly to the squad though we need to make this a position when we can just plug a guy in, yes it's been a process reset and we really do need to stick to one, but this time, with the stadium build in progress I think Levy will be smart enough to give it a real go and not blink at the first sign of trouble

the fans can play our part, by not bitching about unrealistic expectations or whining about games where we are less effective than we can be, its a young unit, let them make their mistakes in peace

some will go, others will arrive, if the structure is correct they can slot straight in, look at what Wenger has done at Ar5ena1, he has replaced that entire side twice now with no noticeable change in style and very few issues with bedding players in, thats what we need

we've been pretty competitive in our 4 games so far, looking around the PL at this stage and only City are looking like a settled unit (shout out to Swansea as well)

yep, coaches haven't stayed for long, maybe we have the right one this time who may stay longer, similarly to the squad though we need to make this a position when we can just plug a guy in, yes it's been a process reset and we really do need to stick to one, but this time, with the stadium build in progress I think Levy will be smart enough to give it a real go and not blink at the first sign of trouble

the fans can play our part, by not bitching about unrealistic expectations or whining about games where we are less effective than we can be, its a young unit, let them make their mistakes in peace

I agree about fans to a certain degree but it's it realistic to think poch will have a good chance at staying? i dont not going with history.

Arsenal have been successful to a certain degree but you nailed it by saying arsene is the root of it. He wouldn't stand a chance under levy.

Is it realistic to actually challenge under this model? I think its good but has limitations, why not tweak it slightly and analyse where we could improve. Is it unrealistic to want a striker that we have identified and have the money and not go for him in a respectable way rather than lowballing until the last minute?

i'm sure the analysis conducted on Berahino meant we didn't consider it lowballing, by all accounts we've been pretty respectful to WBA compared to your average transfer these days

I agree about fans to a certain degree but it's it realistic to think poch will have a good chance at staying? i dont not going with history.

Ar5ena1 have been successful to a certain degree but you nailed it by saying arsene is the root of it. He wouldn't stand a chance under levy.

Is it realistic to actually challenge under this model? I think its good but has limitations, why not tweak it slightly and analyse where we could improve. Is it unrealistic to want a striker that we have identified and have the money and not go for him in a respectable way rather than lowballing until the last minute?
As I mentioned in another thread, it isn't that we didn't go for him in a respectable way. It's about going at it in a realistic way. Even if we had started the process in early July, Brom knew £20-25m was our max. And if they're holding out for more, then even if we had offered that amount earlier, we would still not have gotten him and would have ended up waiting until no one else showed interest, which is exactly what happened. The problem here is that Peace did something that any club president with an iota of common sense would have never done. You can't predict that or blame Levy for it! Blame him for other things, but not the Berahino saga.

As for the manager revolving door policy, I do firmly believe it's in the past. Poch may still be a bit raw as a manager, but it looks like Levy may have found his man. Sometimes you have to go through a few of them before you settle on the right one. It's a perfectly normal process.

A coach stays under Levy's tenure, on the whole, for as long as they keep on performing.

All I would say with regards to the possibility of Poch to stay is that I think he has a good chance. The only way I can see him leaving is if the fans get on his back after some poor performances. I don't think Levy is expecting top 4. I think he is expecting progression in the way that we play and that a team is being built. However, if the fans turn on the team and Poch, then he will react as WHL is poisonous in that sort of environment.

I respect your opinion that we have gone backwards in terms of balance of squad, but I disagree. I disagree on the basis that our other striking options last year were Soldado and Ade who between them scored 3 goals and 2 assists in the EPL. My recent gambling history has not been great (I lost £50 on Berahino - you were right @NaijaSpurs) but I would wager that N'Jie and Son would contribute more than Soldado and Ade did last year. So imho, an upgrade.

In terms of DM, well Stambouli was an option used last year. He played 18 games in total for a sum total of 964 minutes or an average of 54 minutes a game. We're obviously playing Dier in there at the moment and it is looking likely that that will be a better option in any case. Again an upgrade imho.

In defence, we have "replaced" Dier with Alderweireld (as Dier is playing in midfield). We have Wimmer instead of Kaboul. I would argue that, at worst, that is a staying the same type position.

Keepers are the same.

So that's why I think we are in a better position. We've lost the deadwood that were contributing very little. That deadwood was at best squad filler material.

I also think that in your analysis you are effectively saying that the youngsters that were part of the team will not have improved from a year's worth of EPL experience. I would argue that they have.

There is an argument that I think @DubaiSpur mentioned which was that those around us have strengthened more. I can see why you would think that, but I don't think it is absolute fact.

I'm disappointed that we did not get a striker, but I don't think it is the end of the world that people are making out. I sitll think top 6 is a realistic possibility and I truly think to have expected any higher with a backup striker and DM is unfair. Someone has yet to prove to me why it is better to have Soldado as a backup than N'Jie or Son. Someone is also yet to prove to me why Dier is not a better option at DM than one of Bentaleb, Mason and Stambouli.

A coach stays under Levy's tenure, on the whole, for as long as they keep on performing.

All I would say with regards to the possibility of Poch to stay is that I think he has a good chance. The only way I can see him leaving is if the fans get on his back after some poor performances. I don't think Levy is expecting top 4. I think he is expecting progression in the way that we play and that a team is being built. However, if the fans turn on the team and Poch, then he will react as WHL is poisonous in that sort of environment.

I respect your opinion that we have gone backwards in terms of balance of squad, but I disagree. I disagree on the basis that our other striking options last year were Soldado and Ade who between them scored 3 goals and 2 assists in the EPL. My recent gambling history has not been great (I lost £50 on Berahino - you were right @NaijaSpurs) but I would wager that N'Jie and Son would contribute more than Soldado and Ade did last year. So imho, an upgrade.

In terms of DM, well Stambouli was an option used last year. He played 18 games in total for a sum total of 964 minutes or an average of 54 minutes a game. We're obviously playing Dier in there at the moment and it is looking likely that that will be a better option in any case. Again an upgrade imho.

In defence, we have "replaced" Dier with Alderweireld (as Dier is playing in midfield). We have Wimmer instead of Kaboul. I would argue that, at worst, that is a staying the same type position.

Keepers are the same.

So that's why I think we are in a better position. We've lost the deadwood that were contributing very little. That deadwood was at best squad filler material.

I also think that in your analysis you are effectively saying that the youngsters that were part of the team will not have improved from a year's worth of EPL experience. I would argue that they have.

There is an argument that I think @DubaiSpur mentioned which was that those around us have strengthened more. I can see why you would think that, but I don't think it is absolute fact.

I'm disappointed that we did not get a striker, but I don't think it is the end of the world that people are making out. I sitll think top 6 is a realistic possibility and I truly think to have expected any higher with a backup striker and DM is unfair. Someone has yet to prove to me why it is better to have Soldado as a backup than N'Jie or Son. Someone is also yet to prove to me why Dier is not a better option at DM than one of Bentaleb, Mason and Stambouli.
And you didn't even mention Alli and Pritchard, who may turn out to be this year's Harry Kanes. Heck, even if they're half a Harry Kane each, that would be massive.

And you didn't even mention Alli and Pritchard, who may turn out to be this year's Harry Kanes. Heck, even if they're half a Harry Kane each, that would be massive.

Precisely. It is impossible to say if it is going to work out (like with any transfer). But on paper, I think we do have a better squad than last year. It would have been even better if we had an extra striker and experienced DM. But we're not lottery winners. Even the lottery winners found it hard to fill their squad, so I'm not feeling too bad about the forthcoming season.

I concur that the squad is better than the one we had last season but to me that is not the issue, but rather our squad vis-à-vis other teams in the league

I never ever saw Stambouli anything more than a "warm body" and I think Dier is a better option but I would rather we had spent the last 6 months scouting suitable proven replacements rather than a young kid new to the role n this league. Fortunately he has shown potential and I could see him becoming a staple in our midfield. I really hope Bentaleb gets his mojo back because together they could become a formidable partnership.

My concern is our cutting edge up front and how we manage when Kane is substituted or injured or until he gets his mojo back. People seem to assume that because one plays as a wing forward that they can automatically play as a central striker, now that might work in the Europa Cup but I will not take that for granted in this league. Ho hum, this is it now until January so we have to make it work one way or another.

Interestingly, although lot of us are disappointed because we did not get Berahino or another striker yesterday, I honestly think there would have been less negativity towards Daniel Levy if we had signed Son for £18m yesterday and not last week. We would have been in the exact same position but the perception of the strength squad would have been different, is that fickle or what?

i'm sure the analysis conducted on Berahino meant we didn't consider it lowballing, by all accounts we've been pretty respectful to WBA compared to your average transfer these days

I do not have a problem with Levy re the amounts we offered I just wish we had got to that figure earlier in the window

I do not have a problem with Levy re the amounts we offered I just wish we had got to that figure earlier in the window

i guess if we went in with 25 two weeks ago they would have said they want 35, they'd have dragged this out until yesterday even if we had 40m on the table, his game plan was always to get united or someone else involved, WBA wouldn't have concluded this a fortnight ago

1346.jpg

I concur that the squad is better than the one we had last season but to me that is not the issue, but rather our squad vis-à-vis other teams in the league

I never ever saw Stambouli anything more than a "warm body" and I think Dier is a better option but I would rather we had spent the last 6 months scouting suitable proven replacements rather than a young kid new to the role n this league. Fortunately he has shown potential and I could see him becoming a staple in our midfield. I really hope Bentaleb gets his mojo back because together they could become a formidable partnership.

My concern is our cutting edge up front and how we manage when Kane is substituted or injured or until he gets his mojo back. People seem to assume that because one plays as a wing forward that they can automatically play as a central striker, now that might work in the Europa Cup but I will not take that for granted in this league. Ho hum, this is it now until January so we have to make it work one way or another.

Yup. This season will show whether or not the transfer window was a success. I'm just glad that they're all hard workers and are young enough to actually listen to Poch. Once they get their understanding, with Eriksen (and Lamela ;)) providing the assists, we'll look back and laugh.

Interestingly, although lot of us are disappointed because we did not get Berahino or another striker yesterday, I honestly think there would have been less negativity towards Daniel Levy if we had signed Son for £18m yesterday and not last week. We would have been in the exact same position but the perception of the strength squad would have been different, is that fickle or what?

Massively right IMO

It's the way the Bakst day has been made theatrical and gee rally now the bigger clubs are a let down for the drama as the business is done a bit before

And regards the come standout other squads being better... I see other teams having better first 11s but generally few have invested in the squad. Dont get me wrong that makes them better sides but not neccesarily more comfortable over a season

For example palace have added Cabaye and Sakho to their first 11 and Sako is by no means a guaranteed starter so that's a positive

However their centre forward options now are Wickham who hasn't really scored much at all, Gayle who they would happily sell, Bamford who has no track record at this level and they may still have Chamack who sis typically out scored by defenders... They sold Murray who for me was far and away their best striker last season and they sold him for £5M!!!! They do play some great counter attacking football and he may not have suited that but he out scored almost everyone there last sedans and he only players half of it

There have been plenty of other sides in similar positions and when you scratch be stay the surface there isn't really a not there IMO

We can name two first 11s of full internationals (excluding Rose and Trippier but we could have yedlin ) yet were deemed by some to be weakened and non competitive... Maybe Im Missing something

But he plays games - According to Wikipedia, Austin has played 355 games in nine years, albeit mostly at a lower level but that's still nearly 40 games per season . His fitness is not the issue and Sullivan is a clam

I read that Harry and QPR (basket case combo), put him on a weekly wage just behind Adebayor's on £85k per week and it is for this reason he's not moved on.

Absolute garbage. Can tell you that for a fact.

Back