• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

I do think Son will prove to be better than a lot of people expect. When I've seen him in the past always though he was v powerful (despite his size) and Bale-esque in his ability to go past people and shoot from range.

However, I've never seen him play up top, always seemed to be wide in a 4-3-3

I'm still shocked we didn't go for Austin if Berahino was not happening... Son must be one hell of a player for us to think he can step up to the required level. Without Kane we'll be pretty toothless IMO.
We've been pretty toothless WITH Kane! In fact I think he's been one of the worst performing players this far. And that's not because he hasn't scored yet, but because he hasn't been a team player, but rather tried to do everything by himself instead of passing to a better placed player and get in a new position.

I'm still shocked we didn't go for Austin if Berahino was not happening... Son must be one hell of a player for us to think he can step up to the required level. Without Kane we'll be pretty toothless IMO.

Nobody has gone for Austin. Can't be without reason (and it's not necessarily injuries).

We've been pretty toothless WITH Kane! In fact I think he's been one of the worst performing players this far. And that's not because he hasn't scored yet, but because he hasn't been a team player, but rather tried to do everything by himself instead of passing to a better placed player and get in a new position.

You are not alone in this thought. I think we have placed too much on Kane's shoulders.

I don't like our squad. We are a fair way away from what we could have been had a more astute chairman (transfer-wise) been at the helm.

5/10. Mediocre. I'm not as outraged as I was last season because at least we haven't bought garbage bargain-bins like Stambo and Fazio in a panic, and at least we've signed some genuine quality (CL quality) in Son and Alderweireld, if nothing else.

But it could have been so, so much better had we had...well, you know, someone more daring than Dan up top.

Shock horror, but I am not a million miles away from my assessment of the transfer window. I would give it a 6 out of 10. We've got rid of all but one of our deadwood, have signed some quality in Trippier, Alderweireld, Son and N'Jie, have bought potential in Wimmer, kept Lloris, Eriksen and Bentaleb, secured a number of our youngsters on longer term contracts and pretty much broke even. Our squad is basically last years plus some young potential that have played 4-2-3-1 to good effect and without the noise of unhappy players (ade aside). The signing of a striker like Berahino would have made me give it a 7.

The reasons for us missing out on that higher rating I will disagree with you though on! But you knew that anyway ;)

Shock horror, but I am not a million miles away from my assessment of the transfer window. I would give it a 6 out of 10. We've got rid of all but one of our deadwood, have signed some quality in Trippier, Alderweireld, Son and N'Jie, have bought potential in Wimmer, kept Lloris, Eriksen and Bentaleb, secured a number of our youngsters on longer term contracts and pretty much broke even. Our squad is basically last years plus some young potential that have played 4-2-3-1 to good effect and without the noise of unhappy players (ade aside). The signing of a striker like Berahino would have made me give it a 7.

The reasons for us missing out on that higher rating I will disagree with you though on! But you knew that anyway ;)

Now that's interesting. You've quite reasonably given the window 6/10, and listed the reasons for the six. You haven't, however, listed the reasons why you've taken away the remaining four points. So what are they?

S'all good, homie. :)

He have to wait untill january now, even if we release him.

Why? Surely if we release him then he's on a free transfer and could be registered at a later date. Isn't there a later cut off or maybe not one at all for registering free agents. I'm sure I've seen other clubs do this.

Now that's interesting. You've quite reasonably given the window 6/10, and listed the reasons for the six. You haven't, however, listed the reasons why you've taken away the remaining four points. So what are they?

S'all good, homie. :)

It's not a 7 because we didn't sign a striker like Berahino. It would have been an 8 if we signed Berahino plus an experienced DM such as an Edgar Davids. Someone that can inspire our youngsters and instil and reinforce a winning mentality. It would have been a 9 if we did all the aforementioned plus got a VdV type signing who would have scored goals for fun. It would have been a 10 if we did all the aforementioned and tied down Lloris to a new contract with no exit clause, and we got rid of Ade.

I think where I differ from a number of people is that I can completely understand why none of those things happened. It's life, we played our hand and it was not good enough to get what we wanted. There are plenty more hands to play and I have the utmost faith that we will improve. What it needs is a little faith and actually what this needs is for WHL to be a fortress which needs us as fans to get behind the team. Were it not for financial doping, we would be right up there. It's not a level playing field at all, and I'm not going to be annoyed at the club for that. If other clubs are doped and unpunished, our choices are improve anyway knowing that it will take time or dope ourselves.

It's not a 7 because we didn't sign a striker like Berahino. It would have been an 8 if we signed Berahino plus an experienced DM such as an Edgar Davids. Someone that can inspire our youngsters and instil and reinforce a winning mentality. It would have been a 9 if we did all the aforementioned plus got a VdV type signing who would have scored goals for fun. It would have been a 10 if we did all the aforementioned and tied down Lloris to a new contract with no exit clause, and we got rid of Ade.

I think where I differ from a number of people is that I can completely understand why none of those things happened. It's life, we played our hand and it was not good enough to get what we wanted. There are plenty more hands to play and I have the utmost faith that we will improve. What it needs is a little faith and actually what this needs is for WHL to be a fortress which needs us as fans to get behind the team. Were it not for financial doping, we would be right up there. It's not a level playing field at all, and I'm not going to be annoyed at the club for that. If other clubs are doped and unpunished, our choices are improve anyway knowing that it will take time or dope ourselves.

Reasonable. For what it's worth, I agree with the reasoning behind you witholding those points.

And as for the second bit, yes, we probably would have floated up a couple of spots higher than we are had Mansour and Abramovich. However, that's all settled now. What matters is, as you said, improving anyway despite knowing it will take time.

And here, we've thrown away many opportunities to do so, imo. We're still trying to play the (exceedingly) long game with the stadium, and that's noteworthy - however, we could have been ahead of where we are now despite the doping of Chelsea and City, and we aren't because we've mucked up quite a few times over the past five or six years. I know you'll disagree with this bit, but it does bear repeating.

When it comes to this transfer window, it's a 5/10 because we've improved in some areas, stagnated in others, and gone backwards in still others. It's an improvement over the last horror show of a window, definitely. But there's still a whiff of missed opportunities around this one, and understanding why something happened isn't a substitute for acknowledging that mistakes and retrograde actions were made, imo.

I pretty shocked we didn't have any backup striker in the pipeline in case the Berahino deal didn't happen.

Reasonable. For what it's worth, I agree with the reasoning behind you witholding those points.

And as for the second bit, yes, we probably would have floated up a couple of spots higher than we are had Mansour and Abramovich. However, that's all settled now. What matters is, as you said, improving anyway despite knowing it will take time.

And here, we've thrown away many opportunities to do so, imo. We're still trying to play the (exceedingly) long game with the stadium, and that's noteworthy - however, we could have been ahead of where we are now despite the doping of Chel53a and City, and we aren't because we've mucked up quite a few times over the past five or six years. I know you'll disagree with this bit, but it does bear repeating.

When it comes to this transfer window, it's a 5/10 because we've improved in some areas, stagnated in others, and gone backwards in still others. It's an improvement over the last horror show of a window, definitely. But there's still a whiff of missed opportunities around this one, and understanding why something happened isn't a substitute for acknowledging that mistakes and retrograde actions were made, imo.

You're right, I disagree :D. You can compete with doping in the short term taking that extra risk but not in the long term. When we pipped Emirates Marketing Project to 4th, they just spent more. If we had pipped Chelsea, they would have spent more. When Man United missed out they came back and spent more. You just cannot compete with that. As we proved, one season in the CL did not mean lots of extra signings as the wages just cannot be supported.

The long term way is only to build financial muscle as big as the doped. Each year strengthen without paying the odds and making your pounds go further. Very unglamorous, requires a stubbornness and is actually the least risky way.

You're right, I disagree :D. You can compete with doping in the short term taking that extra risk but not in the long term. When we pipped Emirates Marketing Project to 4th, they just spent more. If we had pipped Chel53a, they would have spent more. When Man United missed out they came back and spent more. You just cannot compete with that. As we proved, one season in the CL did not mean lots of extra signings as the wages just cannot be supported.

The long term way is only to build financial muscle as big as the doped. Each year strengthen without paying the odds and making your pounds go further. Very unglamorous, requires a stubbornness and is actually the least risky way.

Yes, one season in the CL did not necessarily improve us that much. However, how about two seasons? Three? In the past six years, we have qualified for the CL once and have been within three points of doing so twice. While one run in the CL isn't a game-changer...the knock-on effects of a fairly consistent run in the CL cannot be underestimated, and might well have easily repaid the investment that would have been required to secure that run, with us being no worse off for it than we are now.

Yes, when it comes to progress we have adopted the most risk-free, cautious, hesitant way of pursuing it. That's essentially my problem with it, Gazz. :D

Back