• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General thoughts on the 2014 / 2015 Season (now includes player poll)

Player of the season 2014/15

• Hugo Lloris

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Danny Rose

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Jan Vertonghen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eric Dier

• Nacer Chadli

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Christian Eriksen

• Ryan Mason

• Nabil Bentaleb

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Harry Kane

Votes: 76 78.4%

• Total voters

DublinSpur

Scott Parker
5th place and a cup final? Not a bad first year for a manager who had to quell an early revolt by a cadre of senior players; a manager who was clearly overseeing a "transitional" season and didn't really have a settled side for most of the year. At the start of the season, this was right at the high end of my expectations. So in those terms, Pochettino has been an unambiguous success so far, and the fact that so many of our best players seem to be youngsters (a lot of whom are coming through the academy) can only bode well.

All the talk of the Europa League distracting from the premiership... certainly the stats (and Everton this year) seem to suggest that teams who play in the Europa League finish lower that season than the last. But we're one of the teams that bucks that trend. In what has been demonstrated to be an unusually lengthy European campaign for us this year (in terms of miles flown), we still qualified from the group, reached a domestic cup final and improved our position in the league. That's no small feat. I'm not saying this was a season without negatives... but when I hear people suggest we are not progressing; I just don't get it at all.

Also, it's seasons like this that prepare a side for the Champions League. It's proof we can handle a lengthy European campaign without it consigning us to mid-table. That's why we qualify consistently. And it's why - when we do make the step up - we get to a quarter-final against Real Madrid instead of getting knocked out at the qualifying or group stages (as with Everton). I'd also suggest it means we'll be in a position to qualify consistently for Champions League once we make the step up.

So nobody needs to jump in with the old chestnut about how we'd probably have qualified for the Champions League this year if we hadn't had the distraction of Europa League football. That might even be true (though it might not - it's purely hypothetical after all) but to me it's essentially meaningless. I don't see Champions League qualification as the be-all and end-all. I want to win things. I want us to finish as high as possible in the league. But right now in our history we are capable of winning the Europa League. With every respect to Pochettino... we're just not good enough to win the Champions League next year. Of course I'd preferred to have finished 4th than 5th but if I'm honest... the fact that we have a realistic chance of winning the EL means each game will probably be more exciting to me than if we'd qualified for the Champions League. There'll be something tangible at stake. So in my eyes, it's no tragedy that we are where we are right now - challenging for the best trophies we can.

That said, it goes without saying that I want to see that change. I'm just realistic enough to understand it won't happen overnight and we need to give an ambitious manager a few years to build the team to the point where we can step up a notch and start challenging for the premier and champions leagues. That's the next step; but we aren't there yet.

This season tells me we're heading in the right direction though. The manager seems to have gotten rid of some troublesome players (Kaboul, Capoue, etc.) and built a core of young, generally hard-working players (with a couple of exceptions). There's every reason to believe Pochettino will be given the opportunity (so long as we can offload a few) to bring in some additional players; ones that he himself decides on.

There have been downsides - the aforementioned player revolt (or whatever it was) ended up being a positive as it seems to have solidified Pochettino's authority; but at the time it was hardly a great thing for the club. The late season slump was extremely disappointing, and that's something I'd expect to see improved on next season. I don't fully understand why it happened, but I bloody well expect the coaching staff to get to the bottom of it. There were other negatives and I didn't always agree with team selections (few of us ever do - no matter who the manager) but overall it was a very positive season.

And so long as Levy supports what Pochettino's trying to build, I can only see us getting better next year. Not a title challenge. Not yet anyway. But within "a few" years? Very possibly. :)

High point of the season: Tottenham 5-3 Chelsea / Tottenham 2 - 1 Arsenal / The emergence of Harry Kane
Low point of the season: Tottenham 0-1 Aston Villa
Player of the season: Harry Kane
Special mention to: Danny Rose, Hugo Lloris
Summer priority: Hang on to Lloris

--------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I added a Player of the Season poll and included every player that I thought someone might want to vote for. If there's someone in the running that I've left out; just let me know and I'll fix it.

Last edited:
Very much on point Dublin ..

I would add Bentaleb to your special mentions, and a big nod to Eriksen & Chadli for carrying a lot of the goal scoring burden along with Kane in light of the poor season for Bobby/Ade

Other category out of this season is "the undecided" = Lamela, Dembele, Lennon. Be interesting to see what we do there.

To me, the focus is keeping the core, getting rid of the players that have been shown to not fit the system, and buying 2-3 players (wisely) to impact first team

But as has been said, think almost everyone would have bitten your arm off at the offer of 5th and a cup final this year, so lets celebrate, go to the summer with 2 wins, 2 clean sheets, 2 midfielders with 10+ goals and our main striker with 31 ...

I said I wouldn't judge Poch based on this season. That still stands, and I won't do so, even though he's performed better than I'd hoped he would when he first came in. Therefore, depending on how the summer goes (the extent glorious chairman's backing, for example), I'll only really look for him to start meeting expectations in terms of results and continual improvement in our play and our mentality next season. For now, however, I'd say there were more positives to 2014/2015 than there were negatives.

Positives -

Our surprising cup run: granted we didn't face any really tough sides until the final, but getting to Wembley was still an admirable achievement given the difficult start to the season that the team endured.

Our performances once we hit our stride, from late December to early February: some of these were just thrilling to watch, Chelsea and Arsenal being the obvious highlights but the clinical 3-0 win against West Brom and the 4-0 demolition of Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the LC quarter-final also equally scintillating. The rabid pressing, the quick transitions from defence to attack, the direct, relentless style of play...for a flash this season we saw the very best of both THFC's current crop of players and the brilliant potential of Poch's system. Shame it didn't last, but it was great while it was around.

Poch's use of the yoof: I have my reservations about this policy, but I can't deny that Poch has done a great job integrating Mason, Dier and Kane into the first-team so seamlessly, while also allowing for Bentaleb's continuing development to boot. It provided a great feel-good factor about the side at times, and allowed for a connection with the lads that probably hasn't been around too much in recent seasons.

5th place: unexpected, and a great achievement considering how unlikely the prospect looked at the start of the season, and even just a few weeks ago. To an extent, this allows us a bit more pulling potential in the coming market than we otherwise might have had, and the 'best of the rest' tag remains firmly in THFC's bag. Finishing above Brenda is also something to be celebrated.

Negatives -

Our tail-off towards the end of the season: we finished with five fewer points than in 2013/2014, and that is down in large part to our slump towards the end of the season: simply put, we didn't look very motivated after the CC final, and that is a concern given that we were still in a strong position when it came to qualifying for the CL heading into the final months of the campaign.

Leaky defence: we conceded, what, the 14th most goals in the PL this season? Hardly encouraging, especially given the nature of some of them: self-inflicted wounds, goof-ups, shots from outside the box/just inside it that no one closed down, and so on. Part of this is probably down to our lack of a good DM and our preference for two box-to-box midfielders ahead of the back four (or even one box-to-box midfielder and an AM, as I still don't think Mason's cut out for the deep-lying position), but it's still a worrying sign, and one I hope will be addressed this summer.

Transfers: Not Poch's fault, but Fazio, Stambouli, Davies..........I don't think I need to qualify this too much.

So, overall, again, there were more positives than there were negatives: certainly, 2014/2015 has in the e end been kinder to us than last season was, and overall, even though this can be classed as a 'transitional' campaign...it's still one I'm pretty happy with. :)

High point of the season: Kane's doubles against Chelsea and Arsenal. Wonderfully cathartic.
Low point of the season: Being BTFO 3-0 by Stoke, although looking at 'Pool, I think we got away somewhat lightly. :)
Player of the season: I'd go for Kane, but honestly, Danny Rose. And this is from someone who thought he wasn't good enough for a first-team spot last summer.
Special mention to: Harry Kane, Nabil Bentaleb, Ryan Mason
Summer priority: Getting Levy to hand Poch a bag of cash, and then getting him to f*ck off to the Bahamas while Poch spends it on players he actually wants. :p

I'm very happy, I was very down on this lot at the start of the season and thought we were heading for mid table, MP's managed to find a serviceable engine in there and a bit of poke up top when we need it, all with players that were already at the club.

Realistically this is as much as we could ask for.

For the POTY I very nearly clicked on Kane, just like everyone else probably will do, he's been magnificent, I didn't think he had it in him, he fully deserves all the plaudits he's received, i'm confident he will continue this form next season. I went for Danny Rose though, to come off a season on loan when the general thinking was that he wasn't good enough for us, then to find out we've signed one of last seasons promising youngsters in his position, for him to turn in the season he just has has been great to see, his attitude has been an embodiment of MP's Tottenham.

I'm sure Kane will win play off the season and I'm not going to say it's undeserved,goals wins games.

However for me lloris has been our player of the season, How many games sides win by the odd goal that was kept intact by a Lloris save?

I can think of two, maybe three games Lloris was poor in, whilst I can think of a lot more in which Harry was non existent (not a dig at him, it's a team game)

Harry got the headlines, Lloris just got on with his normal high standards without much fuss.

As for the season, we got 5th which is a good thing, but I do think Liverpool being hilariously poor had a major part of this, I haven't enjoyed this season, on the whole it's been very dull and in my opinion we have up the ghost on 4th to early, if we have beaten Burnley away and Villa at home we really would have put pressure on a shaky United

I'm happy with equalling our league position from last year and adding a cup final to it.

Highlight of the season is obviously the emergence of HK as a top quality striker and low point was losing the cup final (although losing to any team is a low point)
Player of the season is Harry, with special mentions to Ryan Mason and Danny Rose.
Summer priority, get someone in to play alongside harry and strengthen our defense and defensive midfield (although Wimmer is a good start)

Next season priority, don't spend 100m and do a Liverpool :D

I'm happy with equalling our league position from last year and adding a cup final to it.
Just a reminder... we actually improved. Everton finished 5th last year. And as I think we demonstrated, we're considerably better equipped to deal with European football than they are. Which can only be a good thing for when we do start qualifying for the Champions League on a regular basis.

Agree with most of what has been written by others, overall a good season, would like to see an improvement in our play, particularly in ball retention of forward players, too often they give the ball away and put us under pressure. I voted for Kane as goal scoring is the hardest job in the team and without his efforts it could have been a poor season. Rose and Lloris were the best of the rest.

Not a season that will be remembered for its performances, or even for very many enjoyable or entertaining games (you can talk about Chuffski and Arse at home, but those games are always too tense to qualify as enjoyable). However, at least Kane's tally of goals will forever eclipse the frankly embarrassing defensive stats, and 5th is one better than I expected. The beady eye will be fixed right on Pochettino next term, though.

High point of the season: Kane's late winner v the smelly Arse
Low point of the season: Tottenham 0-1 Aston Villa following miserably on the heels of Burnley 0-0 Tottenham
Player of the season: Harry Kane
Special mention to: Danny Rose, Hugo Lloris
Summer priority: Don't fuсk it up again

Very good overall. I think the fans feel more of a connection with the team again, and we have a very bright coach and incredibly young side. On top of which a 5th place finish and a cup final. That is an over achievement if we look at who we are competing against. We have performed above expectation and are punching above our weight.

As an aside, I think it's magnificent that despite the huge player and manager turnover in the last decade, we have managed top 5 finishes in 7 out of the last 10 years.

When you consider our are rivals, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool, all teams with bigger stadia, more revenue, bigger wage bills, we have outperformed expectation for us for the last decade contrary to the popular belief that Spurs will always let you down. If we ever finish above 6th in my mind we are punching above our weight.

I've loved this season. It feels like we're at the start of something big.

Moment of the season - Asteras Tripolis - the rabona, Kane's hattrick, Kane playing in net.

Player of the season - Danny Rose - I couldn't stand him 12 moments ago, but he's been outstanding.

Just how extremely young our starting 11 became as the season progressed continues to be the key thought for this season for me. I genuinely feel it gets overlooked way too often both by the press and by fans when being critical of what's happened this season. The development we've seen across the board from (primarily) our young players has been really something a bit special. At the same time Lloris has continued to be excellent, Vertonghen has re-established himself, Fazio has settled in well and Chadli has shown what he's capable of. But the progression from the youngsters has been the recurring story and has been great to behold.

Moment of the season - Chelsea win. Definitely. Huge result, huge performance, game had everything.

Player of the season - Harry Kane. No doubt.

Special mention to - Rose, Bentaleb, Lloris. But mentions to most of the current starting 11 are in order imo.

Just how extremely young our starting 11 became as the season progressed continues to be the key thought for this season for me. I genuinely feel it gets overlooked way too often both by the press and by fans when being critical of what's happened this season. The development we've seen across the board from (primarily) our young players has been really something a bit special. At the same time Lloris has continued to be excellent, Vertonghen has re-established himself, Fazio has settled in well and Chadli has shown what he's capable of. But the progression from the youngsters has been the recurring story and has been great to behold.

Moment of the season - Chelsea win. Definitely. Huge result, huge performance, game had everything.

Player of the season - Harry Kane. No doubt.

Special mention to - Rose, Bentaleb, Lloris. But mentions to most of the current starting 11 are in order imo.
Great post BE. This is why I hope Spurs fans are patient with Poch. I think he is the most "natural fit" manager since Jol. By that I mean he coaches the team with a long term plan rather than rely on short term expensive marquee signings. Although I hope he gets at least one of those type signings this summer.

A number of other things from this season. He has turned around our form against top 4 teams. He has shown no one is undroppable even the club captain. He has managed us to relative success in both the PL and the cups. Can anyone remember the last manager who combined a high position in the PL with a cup final in the same season. That said of course there is much room for us to improve. But a good start from MoPo.

Great post BE. This is why I hope Spurs fans are patient with Poch. I think he is the most "natural fit" manager since Jol. By that I mean he coaches the team with a long term plan rather than rely on short term expensive marquee signings. Although I hope he gets at least one of those type signings this summer.

A number of other things from this season. He has turned around our form against top 4 teams. He has shown no one is undroppable even the club captain. He has managed us to relative success in both the PL and the cups. Can anyone remember the last manager who combined a high position in the PL with a cup final in the same season. That said of course there is much room for us to improve. But a good start from MoPo.

And he's done all this whilst continuing to oversee one of the most rapid and wholesale changes to our squad I can remember, or that I can remember at any team actually. Not all credit for that goes to Pochettino of course, those changes started under AVB and Sherwood. But the fact remains that the first choice 11 we had half way through this season included only Lloris, Walker and Vertonghen that were seen as first choice 18 months earlier. And Walker has spent most of this season injured whereas a solid portion of Spurs fans wanted Vertonghen gone last summer.

greatest disappointment to me was eriksen despite his goals, and verts for his too cool demeanour...can't decide...

...but special mention to angry little man rose, who seems all grown up now and his temperament is just pure passion for spurs, like how mabbutt used to be for us.

Not bad at all, we finished 5th and a cup final as well. This season was always going to be a slog as Poch started to bring a new system and sort out the players he rates and those he does not. There have been good games and poor games but in the 50 odd years I have supported the team that is the norm in most seasons.

I do not agree with all team selections but most/all fans never do, glad to see the young players come in and perform well not all of them will make it here but again that is par for the course.

Happy to see youth coming through the ranks. It gives me way more pleasure to see players from our own system making it. I have high hope for Pritchard and Ali thought bought looks like the real deal. Its also nice to have a good core of English players. Im not against signing players from all over, but the right players. Watching the Championship and the lower leagues its nice to see teams all playing possesion football, not hoof it and percentage systems. It will be good for English football in the end.

I give myself a pat on the back for supporting Rose at the start of the season. A lot of people said he was not good enough, and I was trying to preach patience. He has proved himself I think.

I give myself a punch in the back for Kane. Last January I would have sold him for 500k. I could see he had technical ability but he was so so slow I thought he would never make it. He improved his fitness and his short distance pace and it has made all the difference. So glad. We have been trying to buy a striker and finally we make one of our own.

Poch has a system I like. But also he seems very stubborn to move out of it when needed. I worry about that. Like AVB sometimes you need to change it up. I was happy for him to have a season to assess everyone. Then make the changes he wants. 5th is better than I expected for the league. We could have won the league cup.

High: Beating the scum and Chelski. Not because they are our rivals but for how we played. We over run them both, did not scrape a win and deserved all we got from those games.

Low: Getting knocked out of the Europa. I feel we gave it up. Then we lost the final, then our league form dropped. A champions league place was on offer and a nice final. I would rather do well in that than the FA and the league cup.

It's amazing how the end to a season can define the way you reflect on it. Had the season ended after the Stoke game then we'd all be quite depressed; yet two wins and a 5th place finish produce an altogether merrier lingering thought over the Summer.

For me our season can be split into three; the first part was about Poch giving our established players a chance; Soldado, Kaboul, Ade, Capoue were all, for various reasons, synonimous with a rather drab opening to the season barring a credible draw at the Death Star. The second third saw the introduction of Kane and Mason as integral members of the first team; we displayed resolve to hang onto leads and perseverence to win games late on. The Chelsea and Arsenal games embodied everything that was good about us. The final period started after the Cup Final and it was a mixed bag; unfortunately the tame Man U defeat ended our chances of finishing top 4 and we suffered a hangover from this.

Overall, 5th represents a good season for us; 6th is par. The fact that we have started to invest in youth buys time for the new manager.

High point of the season:
Beating Woolwich at WHL - the late winner by one of our own, the way we bossed them for 90 minutes and the euphoric atmosphere that day
Low point of the season: Getting beaten by Leicester in the FA Cup. It was the same day that Chelsea and Man C were beaten; we could so easily have progressed to at least the semi-final.
Player of the season: Kane - first player to score 30+ goals in a season since Gary Lineker
Special mention to: Rose, Lloris, Bentaleb
Summer priority: Adding some Premier League experience to our promising young squad.

Back