• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gedson Fernandes

I remember playing in a tournament in Holland in the 60's and all the Dutch boys looked comfortable on the ball and half of our team couldn't trap a box of kippers, most europeans seem to learn to love the ball rather than kick it as hard and far as you can, unfortunately I still see kids being encouraged to do it now.

Things have changed quite a bit now as far as proper coaching is concerned but as you say it was not always that way. I will never forget how blown away i was when i first spent time at the Ajax academy in the early 80's, they were miles ahead of the way things were done here ( Charles Hughes has a lot to answer for).

Things have changed quite a bit now as far as proper coaching is concerned but as you say it was not always that way. I will never forget how blown away i was when i first spent time at the Ajax academy in the early 80's, they were miles ahead of the way things were done here ( Charles Hughes has a lot to answer for).

I was obsessed with the winning formula when I was a kid.

So were a lot of kids sadly and held us back for ages, thankfully the FA moved on from that eventually.
But they have still done nowhere near enough to ensure that we actually have an adequate number of coaches in England. A few less blazers being royally entertained all over the World on full expenses and that money instead allocated to training a few thousand coaches would make an immediate difference.

Most of the problems aren't the coaches it's the parents, they all want to win at all cost. I've no problem with people encouraging their kids but when I hear them shouting "bring him down", "don't pass to him" and my favourite "let's have some game management" I despair. These are young kids who should be enjoying a game with their mates and hopefully playing at what every level for an other 20 odd years not trying to win for their parents ego. I was lucky back in the 50's kids games were watched by a man and his dog.

But they have still done nowhere near enough to ensure that we actually have an adequate number of coaches in England. A few less blazers being royally entertained all over the World on full expenses and that money instead allocated to training a few thousand coaches would make an immediate difference.

I can't dance with that at all. Not sure what the pass rate is now but when i did all mine it was 1 in every four applicants that passed.

Most of the problems aren't the coaches it's the parents, they all want to win at all cost. I've no problem with people encouraging their kids but when I hear them shouting "bring him down", "don't pass to him" and my favourite "let's have some game management" I despair. These are young kids who should be enjoying a game with their mates and hopefully playing at what every level for an other 20 odd years not trying to win for their parents ego. I was lucky back in the 50's kids games were watched by a man and his dog.

Lot of truth in that, many years back Norwich stopped parents from attending the coaching sessions (at the academys) because of all the shouting and bawling parents are inclined to do. They made any who wanted to watch their kids stand a pitch away from the sessions.

That's really good. Hopefully they don't actually let the Dad's loose on coaching the kids until after they are qualified?
No, crash course for initial badge I think(?) when they start, with support to do further badges if they wish. If dads are going to manage, they start when their child is 5 or 6, so they'll be qualified by the time the kids are 6 or 7.

Things have certainly changed at the pro clubs now as well as at any teams that have proper coaches.

The problem in this country is that you don't need any formal coaching qualifications to be able to coach kids at school or saturday/sunday league. That means a lot of kids get bad coaching early on in their development.

I remember when I was a kid, the difference it made to me when I played first district and then county football, both of which had a proper qualified coach. Whereas for years at school and with sunday league football our 'coaches' were absolute wallies.

The reason I went and did my UEFA badge was because I thought I might want to get involved in helping with the coaching of my own sons as they started to play sunday league football and I didn't want to be one of those absolute wallies.

The problem with football is that so many people love it and so many people want to get involved with it, but most of those people actually haven't really got a clue about the game. So many of our kids get taught bad habits and aren't given the right chance to improve by people who actually mean well.

I think Iceland have a policy where anyone coaching kids (from age 4 up) to play football have to have a coaching qualification. So all PE teachers and all kids saturday/sunday football team coaches there have a UEFA badge. Iceland's FA subsidised these coaching qualifications (no doubt using their income to do this instead of using that money to pay for their 'executives' to fly first class, stay in grand hotels and have long boozy lunches in Michelin starred restaurants as is the priority of 'other' FA's) Iceland (population 340 odd thousand) now have more qualified coaches than England. It is no coincidence that they became the smallest country by population to qualify for a World Cup.

Parents are a massive issue. I have always has a meeting with all parents before each season to explain why the only things they should express are encouragement, and equally, I tell the boys that they have my permission to ignore their parents and that actually, I need them to during practices and match-days.

One of the biggest things I think u-10-u/14 coaching can do is help develop them into two-footed players and teach them to see and read a game in real-time. That and have them absolutely Hohn the fundamentals; you cannot play well if you cannot control the ball. As we saw last night...:-(

So were a lot of kids sadly and held us back for ages, thankfully the FA moved on from that eventually.

We speak about loving that ball so much that your job is to keep and protect it. I am pleased to see “giant punts” rarely happen, and if they do we go over why. So much of youth coaching (aside from having some basic knowledge and certs) is confidence. Teach them to play both without fear and to trust their teammate.

For those who saw today’s game, what did he play like? What sort of traits, and what role was he playing?

Edit: his stats looked pretty underwhelming, for whatever that’s worth!

he didnt really stand out for me, nothing bad nothing that great. Seemed to tick during the one touch stuff we did towards the end of the 1st half and beginning of the 2nd, but its early days for the lad and with settling in etc. Verdict still out for me, especially while the whole team is playing crap

I thought he looked disciplined but seemed to tire late in the second half. IIRC he's not played a lot of football for Benfica so he'll probably take some time to get up to speed.

He looks a fine player and Mourinho is introducing him into the team and very confidently. So happy to see a transfer put to work so quickly. Used to take us half a year or more for new recruits to get decent game time.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

He takes up good positions both defensively and in attack. Not afraid to get stuck in either. Looks quick and fairly strong. I really likes how he often makes runs into the box. We don't have many players that do that. Think he'll do well for us with more game time to get properly fit. I like him!

Back