• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gary Mabbutt Always my Captain

Spurmac1974

Reto Ziegler
My son age 9 was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in May this year, a big shock and a very steep learning curve.
I emailed the club a few weeks ago to ask if Gary could maybe send him a card to help show him how people can excel with this condition.

So anyway instead of a card Gary has just phoned him directly and spoke to him for over 20 minutes! Asked him all sorts of questions
and gave him loads of advice.

Made a little boys year and mine to be fair!!

That's bloody marvellous! What a gent.

Your son must have been pleased as punch! Thanks for sharing.

This is why, despite be a fairly average player naturally, he is a true Tottenham legend. His attitude and energy was fabulous, played with full heart. Top, top man Mabbsy.

Fantastic! What a man.

I remember about 30 years ago around 1984 I was 10 and Gary Mabbutt came to our school to talk about how diabetes had not restricted him and he was still able to play professional football despite his condition and he had to inject himself with insulin at half time... and I'll always remember him talking about "that battling cauldron of midfield".

Thirty years on and he's still doing it, what a gent.

This is why, despite be a fairly average player naturally, he is a true Tottenham legend. His attitude and energy was fabulous, played with full heart. Top, top man Mabbsy.

Not sure that I would agree that he was an average player. He was bloody good.

Not sure that I would agree that he was an average player. He was bloody good.

Yep remember him being anything but average, his display in 91 semi final being one example.

Its nice when your childhood heroes actually match up to what you hoped they would be, my son will remember that call forever.

My son age 9 was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in May this year, a big shock and a very steep learning curve.
I emailed the club a few weeks ago to ask if Gary could maybe send him a card to help show him how people can excel with this condition.

So anyway instead of a card Gary has just phoned him directly and spoke to him for over 20 minutes! Asked him all sorts of questions

Love this!

Typical of the man.

Met Garry a few times and he is a top man, if you have not read his book from 1989 (AGAINST ALL ODDS: THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF GARY MABBUTT) its well worth getting it ashe talks about his problems.

I see him every game he sits just to the right on me in an area he hosts, top top player and a proper gent too

True Tottenham legend

In fact I think that the Gough Mabbutt partnership might be the best Spurs central defence I have seen

How do you make your mark on the world?

Self promoting **** on youtube, with no concern of the consequences for anybody else?

or

Quietly go about your business in a way that gives inspiration to those that need it?

:-k

Back