• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Garry Hooper,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the Norwich bid, Lennon said: "It wasn't much more than the original offer.It was nowhere near £6m.

"It was completely rejected and even if it was £6m it would be completely rejected."

This can only mean Levy's potential offer would be around £5.5m

Won't cost a fortune and easily resellable. We're not going to sign a top striker in £20+ million bracket. Levy is a disgrace for not signing a striker, then he's a disgrace for going after players that we can afford and would do a job for us. The man just can't win.

How about instead of more wasting money and wages on mediocre players we don't need (We'll be fine with Dempsey again Leeds and Norwich).
We save the money for a proper striker in the summer.

I'd rather see us recall Kane or promote Obika if we are this stuck.

As far as concerned we've wasted 16m (wages and fee) on Adebayor and now we wanna throw another 7m on a short arse with real no pedigree.
That money would have been better used to get Leandro.

Last edited:
How about instead of wasting money and wages on mediocre players we don't need (We'll be fine with Dempsey again Leeds and Norwich).
We save the money for a proper striker in the summer.

I'd rather see us recall Kane or promote Obika if we are this stuck.

in your opinion he is mediocre, but AVB obviously thinks enough of him to go and personally check him out. Im sure a dvd freak, stats nut like AVB could easily compile enough info on Hooper without having to travel up to Glasgow in the middle of a bleak winter to watch him live.

Hooper plays well in that Celtic team. It's exactly the same as Scott Mcdonald. He scored a lot for them and didnt make the jump and neither did Kris Boyd who scored a bucket load for Rangers.

These type of strikers are way too much of a risk, I'm not saying they all wont make it, but more often than not they dont and I'd hate for the club to waste a lot of money on a risk that most likely wont work out.

Hooper plays well in that Celtic team. It's exactly the same as Scott Mcdonald. He scored a lot for them and didnt make the jump and neither did Kris Boyd who scored a bucket load for Rangers.

These type of strikers are way too much of a risk, I'm not saying they all wont make it, but more often than not they dont and I'd hate for the club to waste a lot of money on a risk that most likely wont work out.

you are right, but what if money really is tight at Spurs and AVB is working within severe budget restraints. The likes of Hooper might be the only options affordable. AVB will have to assess individual player strengths and weakness, potential for improvement, and ignore what league or competition they are playing in

after all, someone like Vertonghen was a monster defender in a rubbish league like the Eredivise, but he has come to the Premier League and fitted in very nicely. He definitely is no Winston Bogarde

Last edited by a moderator:
you are right, but what if money really is tight at Spurs and AVB is working within severe budget restraints. The likes of Hooper might be the only options affordable. AVB will have to assess individual player strengths and weakness, potential for improvement, and ignore what league or competition they are playing in

after all, someone like Vertonghen was a monster defender in a rubbish league like the Eredivise, but he has come to the Premier League and fitted in very nicely. He definitely is no Winston Bogarde

re: Vertongen, I did say some players will make it. If AVB does havea budget, then go for Danny Graham. I think even Odemweinge (bad spelling I know) would be worth it if budget is in place.

re: Vertongen, I did say some players will make it. If AVB does havea budget, then go for Danny Graham. I think even Odemweinge (bad spelling I know) would be worth it if budget is in place.

It all depends on what qualities AVB is looking for. I like Graham but does AVB see what we see?

Odemwingie will be 32 this summer and is being tempted by QPR because they are probably offering him 70k a week. Cant see Levy wanting to go down that road

If we had a choice of three average players for £6m and £40kpw or one premium striker for £18m and £120kpw I would go for the latter.

We have plenty of squad players, plenty that can do a job, now we need to get that jewel. There is no point pushing Dempsey to the bench by signing another Dempsey-level-player. We need *the one*

in your opinion he is mediocre, but AVB obviously thinks enough of him to go and personally check him out. Im sure a dvd freak, stats nut like AVB could easily compile enough info on Hooper without having to travel up to Glasgow in the middle of a bleak winter to watch him live.

Face it the only reason we're looking at him is because he's cheap, available now and Defoe is injured.

As for AVB he has no record of signing good players.
He signed no one in his season at Porto, had no input into Chelsea's signings.
Who's knows what input he has here - Moutinho and Willian haven't materialised.

This has all to do with Levy refusing to spend big on one player and ending up with a stupidly big squad full of average players we can never get rid of.

Face it the only reason we're looking at him is because he's cheap, available now and Defoe is injured.

This has all to do with Levy refusing to spend big on one player and ending up with a stupidly big squad full of average players we can never get rid of.

Well if you believe the ITK that we're looking at him, you should note the ITK say we're not looking at him for this window.

If we had a choice of three average players for £6m and £40kpw or one premium striker for £18m and £120kpw I would go for the latter.

We have plenty of squad players, plenty that can do a job, now we need to get that jewel. There is no point pushing Dempsey to the bench by signing another Dempsey-level-player. We need *the one*

I don't think we have the choice of either so I wouldn't worry about it.

Why would we sign three average players?

Such a straw man argument.

Dempsey is a top four standard player, so if you don't want to sign top four standard players that's fine by me.

Edit: Plus i'd like you to find a premium striker for 18m. If we could, we'd likely have signed them.

Last edited:

i agree that Levy is reluctant to spend big, but i dont see that we have a squad full of average players we can never get rid of. If so, then blimey they must be doing something right because we are challenging for 3rd despite losing VDV, Modric and King and being without Kaboul, Ekotto and Parker for most of the season

if you are talking about the likes of Bentley, Jenas, Gomes etc, well remember that Bentley cost 15 mill, Gomes cost 8 mill, thats a lot of money, Levy spending big......so actually spending big on one or 2 players can actually lead to the squad being loaded with average players as you said

i agree that Levy is reluctant to spend big, but i dont see that we have a squad full of average players we can never get rid of. If so, then blimey they must be doing something right because we are challenging for 3rd despite losing VDV, Modric and King and being without Kaboul, Ekotto and Parker for most of the season

if you are talking about the likes of Bentley, Jenas, Gomes etc, well remember that Bentley cost 15 mill, Gomes cost 8 mill, thats a lot of money, Levy spending big......so actually spending big on one or 2 players can actually lead to the squad being loaded with average players as you said

15m is not 'spending big' if we're talking about a striker.
We need to cough up 25m at least to get a top striker.
I'm sick of it. Strikers cost a lot more money than any other position. Stop trying to get bargains and get the striker we've needed since Berbatov left.

15m is not 'spending big' if we're talking about a striker.
We need to cough up 25m at least to get a top striker.
I'm sick of it. Strikers cost a lot more money than any other position. Stop trying to get bargains and get the striker we've needed since Berbatov left.

Didn't we pay £10.9 million for him??!?

And one might argue the market has inflated two fold since. How much is Lewandowski?

Hardly the same.

Lewandowski is scoring goals in CL level, winning leagues with Dortmund. Berbatov was playing for Leverkusen and scoring. It would literally be the same as if we signed Kiessling and I imagine he'd cost us about £10-£12m too.

And one might argue the market has inflated two fold since. How much is Lewandowski?

Didn't Chelsea pay £30m for schevchenko in 2006?, Anderson to Man utd £20m, we brought Bentley for £15 in 2008... apart from the odd Carroll, Torres outrageous fees (although there is Ronaldhino 30m in early naughties and Kaka from Milan (08 was it?) to match these oddities from past.

I think it's stayed pretty flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back