• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Garry Hooper,

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like he'll be going for over 7m, at least. To me that's not small change at all, when you consider that that's the asking price for Heung-min Son and Wilfried Bony - the former whom I acknowledge isn't 'prolific' so far, but at 20 yo displays a high degree of technical quality with a strong workrate from a wide position (imo the unquantifiable qualities are a better predictor of success than scoring in a league where a well-past-it Keane had a better scoring ratio), and the latter whose goalscoring prowess in a league admittedly nearly as bad as defending as the SPL at least combines with pace, technique, and no little amount of flair.

I'm not asking for Leandro or even Soldado or some other 20m+ striker, it's just that I think there are plenty of second-tier or young prospects out there with a substantially higher ceiling than Hooper, at an equal or lesser price. My worry lies in how uncreative our scouting/transfer committee is - it seems to rest on the Venn intersection of 'scores a lot' and 'favorable contractual situation'. In fact, it seems we draw up a list of "whose contract is running down?" *before* creating a list of players based on the qualities the team actually needs. Hence, our interest in Diame, yet another physical DM (average 25 passes per game...just shocking), rather than a deeplying playmaker with rapid ball circulation and vision on the break.

The more optimistic explanation is that agents whose players are negotiating contracts are naturally much more aggressive in the media with linking them to all and sundry. I still think we could do with a DOF and better scouts though.

Jelavic came from Scotland last Jaunary and contributed massively to Everton's subsequent surge up the table. He hasn't looked out of his depth in the Premier League either. And this, he has achieved without playing more than a handful of minutes in the Champions League qualifying rounds for a Rangers side used to getting knocked out of it.

Hooper's scoring record is impressive, he looks quick and technically adept, and he has looked comfortable in the recently concluded group stages of this year's CL, scoring against Spartak Moscow along the way. Plus, he's English, which would automatically add a couple million quid to his price tag, regardless of the form he happens to be in when (and if) we choose to sell him on.

Wilfried Bony and Son Heung-Min are both reasonable buys to make, but Hooper's by no means a bad buy because of the similar prices of those two. For anything under 10 million quid, he seems quite a reasonable buy to make, even if he isn't the type of player I would like to see brought in (a Damiao type quick-and-powerful front runner should be our priority, imo).

You only have to look as far as Danny Graham to see how much interest you can garner when you have an English striker to put back on the market.

Celtic have turned down £5 million from Norwich, while Hooper has turned down their latest offer for a contract extension. With 18 months left his price won't start to come down before the summer and other clubs being interested will only add to it. Probably why Lennon is so eager to let us all know about his situation.

It sounds like he'll be going for over 7m, at least. To me that's not small change at all, when you consider that that's the asking price for Heung-min Son and Wilfried Bony - the former whom I acknowledge isn't 'prolific' so far, but at 20 yo displays a high degree of technical quality with a strong workrate from a wide position (imo the unquantifiable qualities are a better predictor of success than scoring in a league where a well-past-it Keane had a better scoring ratio), and the latter whose goalscoring prowess in a league admittedly nearly as bad as defending as the SPL at least combines with pace, technique, and no little amount of flair.

I'm not asking for Leandro or even Soldado or some other 20m+ striker, it's just that I think there are plenty of second-tier or young prospects out there with a substantially higher ceiling than Hooper, at an equal or lesser price. My worry lies in how uncreative our scouting/transfer committee is - it seems to rest on the Venn intersection of 'scores a lot' and 'favorable contractual situation'. In fact, it seems we draw up a list of "whose contract is running down?" *before* creating a list of players based on the qualities the team actually needs. Hence, our interest in Diame, yet another physical DM (average 25 passes per game...just shocking), rather than a deeplying playmaker with rapid ball circulation and vision on the break.

The more optimistic explanation is that agents whose players are negotiating contracts are naturally much more aggressive in the media with linking them to all and sundry. I still think we could do with a DOF and better scouts though.
are you talking about just this window or in general?

You only have to look as far as Danny Graham to see how much interest you can garner when you have an English striker to put back on the market.

Celtic have turned down £5 million from Norwich, while Hooper has turned down their latest offer for a contract extension. With 18 months left his price won't start to come down before the summer and other clubs being interested will only add to it. Probably why Lennon is so eager to let us all know about his situation.

Is there any source to this?

In fact, it seems we draw up a list of "whose contract is running down?" *before* creating a list of players based on the qualities the team actually needs. Hence, our interest in Diame, yet another physical DM (average 25 passes per game...just shocking), rather than a deeplying playmaker with rapid ball circulation and vision on the break.

What interest in Diame?

This...................

IS WRONG ;)

honestly though how can people justify spending close to £10m on this guy? you mean to tell me there's no one out there in world football that is better? or suits our criteria more?

What are our criteria though?

Hooper is within our price range, would not expect to be a regular starter (if he comes to us, if he went to Norwich he probably would), represents a good alternative to our current strikers and would settle in faster than someone coming from continental Europe. Con: He's not foreign.

If this was the summer window I would advocate a younger, less known striker that we can develop, but this window is all about immediate impact and I don't think there are many better options available at that price.

This...................

IS WRONG ;)

honestly though how can people justify spending close to £10m on this guy? you mean to tell me there's no one out there in world football that is better? or suits our criteria more?

We won't spend close to 10 mill on him. ;)

I should have been more specific in my initial agreement. I think if the situation was right, that it would be a good deal and we could re-sell him pretty quickly if need be. Lower wages than many I suspect too.

I think 'if' we were to do a rush-deal for him, it would only be if we could snap him up for 5-7. Again, I don't think we will see anything THIS window unless AVB decides that he doesn't want to ride out the wait for Ade (although I doubt it will be too long a wait?!!!)...

I'm very very intrigued to see if Levy pulls a left-field rabbit from his hat before the 1st Feb.

EDIT ADDITION: We might have some players that Lennon would be happy to take in return for a cash-player deal, you never know.
I will say it is really, really great to see the club's business be kept so relatively quiet. There seems to be an 'omerta' of sorts to try and protect too much sensitive info from getting out.

What are our criteria though?

Hooper is within our price range, would not expect to be a regular starter (if he comes to us, if he went to Norwich he probably would), represents a good alternative to our current strikers and would settle in faster than someone coming from continental Europe. Con: He's not foreign.

If this was the summer window I would advocate a younger, less known striker that we can develop, but this window is all about immediate impact and I don't think there are many better options available at that price.

How do you know Hooper would settle in faster? he's never played in this league before and lets be honest..the Scottish league is utter turd water mixed with donkey urine.

Hooper is about the same height as Defoe. We need a taller alternative that can play up top by himself as well as partner Defoe if needed. Jones makes more sense than Hooper imo and everyone bar a few was against Jones (i'm talking about the type of player we need...not age).

Steff - Lennon said yesterday that Norwich's second offer was not 6m but even if it was it would be rejected because it isn't near what they value him. It's gonna cost at the very least 7m imo...but probably 8m plus.

Not saying there are any guarantees, but I'd be far more confident about Hooper than Bony or Son.

How do you know Hooper would settle in faster? he's never played in this league before and lets be honest..the Scottish league is utter turd water mixed with donkey urine.

Hooper is about the same height as Defoe. We need a taller alternative that can play up top by himself as well as partner Defoe if needed. Jones makes more sense than Hooper imo and everyone bar a few was against Jones (i'm talking about the type of player we need...not age).

Steff - Lennon said yesterday that Norwich's second offer was not 6m but even if it was it would be rejected because it isn't near what they value him. It's gonna cost at the very least 7m imo...but probably 8m plus.

I assume he means in England. And he would be because he's English.

Why does his height matter? Surely what you want to know is how good he is in the air, which he can be without being tall. Have you watched him enough to know he's not good in the air?

In fact i assume you watch the Scottish league a lot to be writing all players from it off.

Bottom line? If AVB saw him and liked him than i'll take his word over yours.

Last edited:

Indeed mate, but that right there is why we would not see him in the next 2 weeks/few months would be my guess...

Well a £6m bid has already been rejected from Norwich so probably going to need somewhere around £8m and possibly as high as £10m.

Well a £6m bid has already been rejected from Norwich so probably going to need somewhere around £8m and possibly as high as £10m.

Of the Norwich bid, Lennon said: "It wasn't much more than the original offer. It was nowhere near £6m.

"It was completely rejected and even if it was £6m it would be completely rejected."

If he's still there in the summer they'll have the contract issue to contend with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back