• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Garry Hooper,

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to think..............we were linked with Falcao, Leandro, Negredo etc.......................and now it's Hooper.

WTF?

I don't think the manager makes much of a difference on who we're looking to buy.

Agreed.

I said a few months ago that if we had Laudrup in charge, we probably wouldn't have looked at Michu or de Guzman, despite them two being signed by him and would be good additions to our squad. I think Levy has an idea on who to sign.

But throughout history, there are examples of managers who have "walked" because of exactly this situation. i.e the board/chairman not supplying or releasing the funds.

Do you not think AVB would do the same, given that his (somewhat fragile) reputation was on the line?

Redknapp didn't fit the mould because he' simply not a 'yes' man imo. AVB imo is far more of a 'yes' man than Redknapp so there's obviously a much smaller chance that he'll show he's disgruntled (if indeed he is). I don't think AVB has a say in who we get, i don't think Redknapp did, i don't think Ramos did, i don't think Jol did....they say the positions that need covering and levy goes out there and sees what he can do (obviously there might sometimes be a compromise or there might be a player that the manager desperately wants that levy pushes).

The one time in our recent history where i definitely think the manager had at least 90%say in who we signed was the january 2009 transfer window....that window i'm pretty sure Levy let redknapp do what the fudge he wanted and that's only because he started panicing about the thought of relegation (and i very much doubt Arry did anything to ease his panicking).

Redknapp didn't fit the mould because he' simply not a 'yes' man imo. AVB imo is far more of a 'yes' man than Redknapp so there's obviously a much smaller chance that he'll show he's disgruntled (if indeed he is). I don't think AVB has a say in who we get, i don't think Redknapp did, i don't think Ramos did, i don't think Jol did....they say the positions that need covering and levy goes out there and sees what he can do (obviously there might sometimes be a compromise or there might be a player that the manager desperately wants that levy pushes).

Whilst i don't think the manager gets a deciding vote, i think he has a say. The message that has been pretty consistent amongst our ITK is that we do transfers via a committee, not just one single person.

Just the deciding vote in the end is Levy, as well and should be. He is the one with his hand on the money.

That's my point which is why i always found it funny that people continuously blamed Redknapp for the Saha/Nelsen signings. it was obvious that Arry desperately thought we needed reinforcements in January and when Levy said there's no money he settled for those two rather then buy nobody. Even now when players like Kenywne Jones is linked you see posts like "AVB wouldn't want that" "AVB isn't Arry" etc etc.....in reality he'll get what he's given and he'll nod his head and accept it.

Exactly KD. I don't know why people can't figure out that were clearly run on a budget instead of blaming past and present managers for the lack of true top class signings.

Must admit I've never heard of him.

The last forward we signed from non-league, Dave McEwan, didn't turn out that well

What? Are there like nurses whispering into sleeve microphones every time one of our players is examined?

I'm beginning to relish the privacy that surrounded my colonoscopy.

Just routine, no big whoop, before or after.

That's one way of putting it.

Another would be to say that Harry totally lacks discipline and discretion when talking to the media. He can't help himself. And, along with his earlier refusal to sign a contract extension, it's one of the main reasons why he is no longer at the club.

You don't have to be a yes man to be able to stonewall the media when discretion is required. You don't have to be a yes man to understand that it is generally far better to have everyone at the club singing from the same hymn sheet. You don't have to be a yes man to appreciate that clubs don't like their players being talked about as potential signings by managers of other clubs.

Harry was great in many ways but that aspect of his managerial MO is a negative - not a positive, as you claim.

Exactly KD. I don't know why people can't figure out that were clearly run on a budget instead of blaming past and present managers for the lack of true top class signings.

And since we're "clearly run on a budget", I don't know why people can't figure out why Levy can rarely deliver on potential, "true top class" signings that would cost £15 million + in transfer fees and £90K + per week in wages instead of blaming him for not supporting the manager.

Post not aimed at you, fella.

That's one way of putting it.

Another would be to say that Harry totally lacks discipline and discretion when talking to the media. He can't help himself. And, along with his earlier refusal to sign a contract extension, it's one of the main reasons why he is no longer at the club.

You don't have to be a yes man to be able to stonewall the media when discretion is required. You don't have to be a yes man to understand that it is generally far better to have everyone at the club singing from the same hymn sheet. You don't have to be a yes man to appreciate that clubs don't like their players being talked about as potential signings by managers of other clubs.

Harry was great in many ways but that aspect of his managerial MO is a negative - not a positive, as you claim.

Point me to where i claimed it was a positive?

That's my point which is why i always found it funny that people continuously blamed Redknapp for the Saha/Nelsen signings. it was obvious that Arry desperately thought we needed reinforcements in January and when Levy said there's no money he settled for those two rather then buy nobody. Even now when players like Kenywne Jones is linked you see posts like "AVB wouldn't want that" "AVB isn't Arry" etc etc.....in reality he'll get what he's given and he'll nod his head and accept it.

No. What people said was that because he would not commit to the club, because he was halfway out the door, an because his targets were players who an incoming manager might not want, Levy wouldn't give him the money! Indeed, AVB has not gone for Remy and we at being used by agents in the MVilla chatter. The interesting (but pointless) debate would be if Harry had stayed, what would he have done with the money we spent this summer? Bert's, Sigurdsson, Dempsey and Lloris money? No, in fairness mate, the ones he gets dinged by people for are passing onnCavani for 8 mill a few season back, and passing (with the rest of th coaching staff) on Suarez, a decision I always PERSONALLY agreed with. Problem was, he never went quietly through a transfer window, and as such, several deals were broken because o the loose lips aroun him. I will be interested to see if he gets MVilla in the end, remember, he mad it sound done a week ago.

I said in late Dec that this would be a very tight window indeed. We do not have the cash necessary IMO to but the desperate Jan legend . Prices are higher as people gauge the desperation. I think only catastrophe will push us into buyin slightly bigger.

As for supporting the manager, this summer is major. I was unhappy that Levy didn't give AVB the Moutinho he wanted, I've been impressed by how AVB has conducted himself, here's hoping summer is good to him ( though I fear much will be because of. Giant incoming fee)...

p.s. given his choices and circumstance, I was confident Saha would work out. He wasn't awful. The deal which he absolutely blew for me, was Pienaar. I still to this day belvedere we should've kept him until the summer at least. Would've been a great option, though I accept he was not a happy camper at the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back