• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Former Player Appreciation Thread

@SpursOfficial: Club legend Dave Mackay celebrated his 80th Birthday yesterday. Dave on winning the double - http://spurs.to/MackDub
B2etYYnCYAEAsVq.png:large

@AntiqueFootball: Spur's Frank Saul and Dave Mackay pour milk into the FA Cup in the dressing room after the win in the 1967 final
Bb9T-xzIYAAC3Xn.jpg:large

@SpursOfficial: Mackay at 80: "Going into a tackle with Dave was like running, full-on, into a brick wall." - Sir Alex Ferguson
B2a0ljmCIAAzgX9.png:large

Dave Mackay: One-on-One | FourFourTwo
He helped Tottenham to the Double in 1961, infamously got a fistful of Billy Bremner's shirt, then managed Derby to the 1975 top-flight title. And here, he answers your questions...
Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/dave-mackay-one-one#G8wJdjhRYxLzOXfd.99

Last edited:
Sorry if the wrong thread to post this in, but was most appropriate I could find .

Although he wasn't with us for that long, I loved Scotty P, especially in his first season with us.
It was also great to hear the reception he got from the away Spurs fans at Fulham last season.
Another of those players that can be described as the consummate professional, one that everyone seems to speak very highly of. (Isn't he also a bit of mentor to Harry Winks?).
Not sure how much there is in the coaching at Spurs thing. He's also talking about staying on at Fulham in a coaching capacity.

Not the best/greatest player to have worn our shirt and not one who was a big fans favourite. But he came into our side and always did and gave his best. I actually was lucky enough to have been on a course with him during his Charlton days and he was a very good guy with no " look at me hang ups" like some players have.

Not the best/greatest player to have worn our shirt and not one who was a big fans favourite. But he came into our side and always did and gave his best. I actually was lucky enough to have been on a course with him during his Charlton days and he was a very good guy with no " look at me hang ups" like some players have.
Thought he was popular in his first year. Went on to be voted Player of the Season.

Problem was he then suffered a long lay off after getting injured on international duty and thereafter never managed to get back to his previous level. His popularity steadily receded in tandem with his increasing tendency to slow down play through passing sideways or backwards having pirouetted away from his opponent.

But I reckon overall he will be fondly remembered for his first season with us when he provided some much-needed steel in midfield, captaining one of our most entertaining footballing sides in decades to fourth place and qualification for the CL.

Steven Caulker: ‘I’ve sat here for years hating myself … This year was almost the end’

The QPR defender talks powerfully about his struggles with mental illness, his addictions to gambling and drinking and why he is thankful still to be alive

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ntal-illness-addictions-gambling-drinking-qpr

I was just reading that.
Very open about his problems, addictions, behaviour and suicidal thoughts.

Another example that just because a player is gifted enough to play at a high level, it doesn't mean it's an easy life.
I hope for the younger generation of players coming through these days that there is now more awareness of the pressures and pitfalls, accompanied by even more support and practical guidance from clubs.
And that fans have a better understanding of the effect that the constant berating of a player might be having in their head or when they leave the field.

I wish him strength and success with his recovery.

Ah, i meant the one we won 2-1, Sparta Prague possibly, back in 2008 I think. Keano and berbatov early goals for us, cerny with a howler at the end to make it 2-1. Freezing cold. Everyone sung that at a woman going back and forth in front of the crowd, she didn't show any tits, but eventually slipped on her ass in some ketchup and got a loud roar from the spurs section. :D

Back