• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football and money

maybe they think its the start of a trend

Anyone with half a brain knows the current TV model will collapse very soon. I’m lucky in that I live on site at work and they pay my SKY and BT subscriptions, but if they didn’t I’d stream like all my mates. Anyone under 25 wouldn’t dream of paying for sports coverage, in the same way they wouldn’t dream of paying for music.

Anyone with half a brain knows the current TV model will collapse very soon. I’m lucky in that I live on site at work and they pay my SKY and BT subscriptions, but if they didn’t I’d stream like all my mates. Anyone under 25 wouldn’t dream of paying for sports coverage, in the same way they wouldn’t dream of paying for music.

Who dreams for paying for anything? Sorry I forgot Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project fans

I would agree with a winter break after Christmas if the players and teams had a break, but I imagine they would either travel to warm weather training abroad or be looking for lucrative friendlies in the far East. After Christmas we're all a bit short of cash and the weather can be rough so I would mined missing probably 1 home game then.

Not sure mate, lets put together what you are talking about

- UK TV rights might have a limit, but the rest of the world is certainly still growing
- Under 25 has the least disposable income, and least attention span (far more likely to watch highlights than games), so not target audience
- People pay for streaming, is it different from buying physical media = yes, but people "buy" music, up 48% in US in 2017, over 30M monthly subscribers

This belief that the tv football revenue is suddenly going to collapse and level the playing field is a dream.

Take a look at US sports, revenue and salaries to realize that football's ceiling is still a long way away.

Sky, for all the faults they have at least have tried to come up with ways to be able to cut costs on TV subscriptions.

BT just Keep increasing prices.

Not sure mate, lets put together what you are talking about

- UK TV rights might have a limit, but the rest of the world is certainly still growing
- Under 25 has the least disposable income, and least attention span (far more likely to watch highlights than games), so not target audience
- People pay for streaming, is it different from buying physical media = yes, but people "buy" music, up 48% in US in 2017, over 30M monthly subscribers

This belief that the tv football revenue is suddenly going to collapse and level the playing field is a dream.

Take a look at US sports, revenue and salaries to realize that football's ceiling is still a long way away.

Propped up by what China and the Middle East decide to continue to pay for the football though right? The Middle East are a fickle bunch and their spending won't last forever.

I would not be as confident that the money will always be there.

Propped up by what China and the Middle East decide to continue to pay for the football though right? The Middle East are a fickle bunch and their spending won't last forever.

I would not be as confident that the money will always be there.

Everything has an end .. I'm just not sure it's anytime soon, i.e. in the next 5 years

An interesting point on the importance of the lure of the Champions League for attracting players to a club.

... nobody should be blind to the reality of what governs the vast majority of career choices in football. Winning trophies? Playing in the Champions League? It is not easy to convince yourself of that when you consider how many of the Premier League’s biggest deals in recent years (Carlos Tévez, David Silva and Yaya Touré to Emirates Marketing Project, Ángel Di María, Paul Pogba and Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Manchester United, N’Golo Kanté to Chelsea, Luis Suárez to Liverpool, Henrikh Mkhitaryan to both United and Arsenal, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to Arsenal, and even Mesut Özil’s recent contract extension) have not involved the lure of Champions League football.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ot-hope-to-rely-on-loyalty-for-ever-r2cdq3vts

Back