• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football and money

I think it would stifle the game. Teams can shut up shop when they go down to ten men. The damage of a sending off usually occurs late in the game when the toll of playing with ten men for a long time takes effect. For ten minutes a team can afford to be totally negative in play, knowing the player will be back.

I think yellow cards should be replaced with a points system, with progressively longer match bans as points accumulate. Allow the referee to give penalty points, several per games if needed, and then apply post match bans. Players who push the envelope, just enough to avoid yellows (e.g. Huth), would then get points and bans. Points could be given for dissent and holding far more readily. The referee wouldn't need to be concerned with how many penalty points were given during a game and being accused of ruining a game because of two soft yellows leading to a sending off. Serial offenders would end up with long bans.

A sending off should be solely for violent and dangerous play.

I have been vocal about Arsenal and I have taken days to reflect on the game, I looked at Clattenburg, Arsenal, I look at Pogba, I look at Payet, Costa saga and Rooneys Wages....I have come up with the following, football has become a platform for people to act like utter Cun7s

I have been vocal about Arsenal and I have taken days to reflect on the game, I looked at Clattenburg, Arsenal, I look at Pogba, I look at Payet, Costa saga and Rooneys Wages....I have come up with the following, football has become a platform for people to act like utter Cun7s
Although I think the standard of refereeing is abysmal it's difficult to blame clattenburg for this move.
The abuse and total lack of respect for refs from players and managers who are earning more in a week they earn in a year is disgusting. It doesn't matter if the ref is a total calm, his position at least deserves respect.
What would if they chucked it in, how are the players going to earn their £100k a week.

I think that happened with professionalism, if not even earlier

Although I think the standard of refereeing is abysmal it's difficult to blame clattenburg for this move.
The abuse and total lack of respect for refs from players and managers who are earning more in a week they earn in a year is disgusting. It doesn't matter if the ref is a total calm, his position at least deserves respect.
What would if they chucked it in, how are the players going to earn their £100k a week.
It seems like that but it is probably is no worse or better than it ever was if truth be told. They are under more scrutiny now and it just seems like they are getting worse when it is probably much the same. Certainly viewer doubt has been removed when you have 10 different super slow-mo angles. I've reffed a few matches (when the ref never showed up) and it is hard, trust me. And even when you are trying to judge it impartially there is one side who thinks you have it wrong no matter what.

Things can be done to help them if the will was there but I just don't think it is. I believe the powers that be see interfering too much would compromise the integrity of the game, whatever the fudge that means, but they certainly could do a number of things to help refs, They choose not to. Mostly they are left to fend for themselves.

The real question for football is whether they want to assist refs get it right, or accept their mistakes and foibles are part of the game. It seems to me the later.

So like every one else I will give out about the wrong decisions when it affects my team and when I see the 3rd slowmo replay I'll feel justified I was right or not, but irrespective I will have some sympathy for them*. They are on a hiding to nothing.

(*except Foy the clam)

Edit: oh yeah. Fairs fudges to Clattenburg.

Something needs to be done about the ownership of football clubs. They should belong to their fans, not crazy individuals who may or may not be wealthy after all.

In England, such a thing is presently impossible - the concept of fans owning their clubs died a lonely, cold death in England a long, long time ago. Germany got it right, because their fans were (and still are) passionate about it. England didn't, because English fans couldn't give a damn, more or less. And even German fans now appear to be locked in a losing battle with the chairmen of their own clubs, who are all pushing more and more for the relaxation of the 50+1 rule and the entry of more RB Leipzigs and Chinese-owned rich men/women's playthings into the game that was once owned by the simple man and woman on the terraces - not some billionaire thousands of miles away.

Maybe one day you'll see enough clubs in England mismanaged, run into the ground or just forcibly disassociated from the fans who sustain them for a return of calls for fan ownership across the game here. But I wouldn't bet on it happening any time soon.

Refs have always been the man in the spotlight and abuse from fans ( most of who have probably never had to ref a game), its never been any different, if our team wins the ref is ok but if we lose the ref is brick.

It seems like that but it is probably is no worse or better than it ever was if truth be told. They are under more scrutiny now and it just seems like they are getting worse when it is probably much the same. Certainly viewer doubt has been removed when you have 10 different super slow-mo angles. I've reffed a few matches (when the ref never showed up) and it is hard, trust me. And even when you are trying to judge it impartially there is one side who thinks you have it wrong no matter what.

Things can be done to help them if the will was there but I just don't think it is. I believe the powers that be see interfering too much would compromise the integrity of the game, whatever the fudge that means, but they certainly could do a number of things to help refs, They choose not to. Mostly they are left to fend for themselves.

The real question for football is whether they want to assist refs get it right, or accept their mistakes and foibles are part of the game. It seems to me the later.

So like every one else I will give out about the wrong decisions when it affects my team and when I see the 3rd slowmo replay I'll feel justified I was right or not, but irrespective I will have some sympathy for them*. They are on a hiding to nothing.

(*except Foy the clam)

Edit: oh yeah. Fairs fudges to Clattenburg.

It's a difficult job and one I would never even attempt.
They are in a no win position and a lot of the abuse directed at them is totally unwarranted.
It's not the incidents of a bad tackle that they miss, or hand ball given when it's accidental. These are so quick that mistakes will happen.
It's the really stupid ones that they constantly get wrong, three against one and the attacker is fouled, play advantage, where the fudge is the advantage.
A throw in where they gain 20 yards, even after a warning.
Time wasting.
They have my sympathy, but they don't do themselves any favours.

In England, such a thing is presently impossible - the concept of fans owning their clubs died a lonely, cold death in England a long, long time ago. Germany got it right, because their fans were (and still are) passionate about it. England didn't, because English fans couldn't give a damn, more or less. And even German fans now appear to be locked in a losing battle with the chairmen of their own clubs, who are all pushing more and more for the relaxation of the 50+1 rule and the entry of more RB Leipzigs and Chinese-owned rich men/women's playthings into the game that was once owned by the simple man and woman on the terraces - not some billionaire thousands of miles away.

Maybe one day you'll see enough clubs in England mismanaged, run into the ground or just forcibly disassociated from the fans who sustain them for a return of calls for fan ownership across the game here. But I wouldn't bet on it happening any time soon.
What? I could have sworn Portsmouth was fan-owned so I looked it up and sure enough it is. But then I found that several other Football League clubs are also fan-owned nowadays.

And though Newport County are currently struggling at the foot of League 2 the rest are all going along quite nicely. AFC Wimbledon are sitting comfortably mid-table in League 1 whilst Portsmouth, Carlisle and Exeter are all challenging for promotion from League 2. And you'll no doubt recall the remaining fan-owned League club Wycombe, currently mid-table in League 2, came within a whisker of knocking us out of the FA Cup just a few weeks back.

What? I could have sworn Portsmouth was fan-owned so I looked it up and sure enough it is. But then I found that several other Football League clubs are also fan-owned nowadays.

And though Newport County are currently struggling at the foot of League 2 the rest are all going along quite nicely. AFC Wimbledon are sitting comfortably mid-table in League 1 whilst Portsmouth, Carlisle and Exeter are all challenging for promotion from League 2. And you'll no doubt recall the remaining fan-owned League club Wycombe, currently mid-table in League 2, came within a whisker of knocking us out of the FA Cup just a few weeks back.
Portsmouth is fan owned but suffers from an inability to invest, despite getting attendances of more than three times the league average.

I think the point is that it is impossible for a top club to become fan owned unless it gets in trouble like Portsmouth.

Something needs to be done about the ownership of football clubs. They should belong to their fans, not crazy individuals who may or may not be wealthy after all.

I'm not sure about clubs belonging to fans, but I would like to see a more widespread process for the freehold of stadium sites to being classed as community assets and controlled by fans trusts. Something like a hybrid between the Chelsea Pitch Owners and the Wycombe Wanderers Trust.

Local or foreign investors/dreamers would be free to play their real life fantasy football game, but without compromising the long term existence of the club.

Money brings out the worse in some people, the behaviour of most "sportsmen" has declined with the increase of money in their sport, that fueled with the over exposure the media give it have gradually changed sport from "the business" they would wish to be considered into an other branch of entertainment along with reality tv and "talent" shows where image is more important than substance. The incident of the gullible goalie is the prime example.

Portsmouth, AFC Wimbledon, Wycombe....these are the ones I knew of earlier. I've just discovered that Exeter are also fan-owned. But Carlisle aren't - they're majority owned by a consortium of local businessmen. The fans have a minority stake in the club and a seat on the board, but then, that isn't really ownership, and can be diluted at any time - look at what happened to Swansea, also previously set up in a similar fashion.

That's five clubs out of 92 in the top four divisions. And for every recent story of fans taking over the clubs they love or founding a new one (like Portsmouth or FC United), there are stories of fans losing control over their clubs (see Brentford and Chesterfield, off the top of my head) or having what minority stakes they did own in their clubs diluted (Swansea).

There's a difference between that and the thriving, cross-league fan culture in Germany, where almost *every* club is majority owned by its fans, as is required by the DFL. The idea of fans owning their clubs is still viewed with disbelief and distrust in England - hell, the idea of fans questioning *anything* that their club does is apparently viewed with disdain in some quarters, if the reactions to our own Supporters' Trust asking questions about the new stadium is to be taken at face value. More fans seemingly want a Sheikh to come in and use their club as a marketing vehicle than want to have a stake in it themselves.

It wasn't always like this - but that's how it is now. It will take mass mismanagement of the biggest clubs in the land before serious reforms are possible, I feel. On the plus side, Brexit will make *mandated* fan ownership of clubs legally possible again - as I understand it, the 50+1 rule in Germany's always tottered exceedingly close to the line in terms of actually being illegal, because it contravenes EU competition law.

Football is now a tourism industry, all about the fact that regardless if you a third generational supporter born in the shadow of your local club there is always a foreign fan willing to pay 3 times what you have paid because they are suckers that believe Pogba is worth 90m

Back