• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football and money

Mind-boggling isn't it?
Surely the Arse could have spent that money better elsewhere.
I'm loving it, but what a shambles, you have to show some restraint.
For instance, I saw a car on the M4 earlier with a cannon sticker in the back window, and after a few moments of consideration I chose not to ram into it and simply left it to wallow in the slow lane before breaking down.

KPMG have released a financial report on top football clubs: The European Elite 2018: Football Clubs' Valuation.

The ranking is similar to the Deloitte one (except for PSG), but they have some addition elements. The following image table includes squad valuation and has us ahead of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal and not so far off United.

IMG_2963.png

Thanks jts. Strange nobody has replied... guys n gals, it is well worth clicking the hyperlink in jts' post

For instance "The top 10 ranking order has not changed since last year, with Tottenham Hotspur FC taking the headlines again, displaying the highest EV increase (27%). Such increase is even more prominent if considered over the past two seasons (61% or + EUR 485 million)."

And this is rather nice to read from such a respected and independent source
"Since the first edition of our report in 2016, the only addition to the elite cluster has been Tottenham Hotspur FC, which leap-frogged Paris Saint-Germain FC in 2017 and demonstrated that the creation of a football powerhouse generally takes place over a period of time. Among the top 10, Spurs are also the club displaying the highest EV growth in the past two years (61%), thanks to constantly-increasing operating revenues, improved profitability (41% staff costs to revenues in 2016/2017, the best among the top 32) and a huge boost in squad market value (EUR 706 million). There is no denying that Tottenham Hotspur FC, who are challenging Juventus FC’s 9th place, have emerged as contenders, not only on the domestic, but also on the international stage. Furthermore, the club have been planning their move to the New White Hart Lane stadium, a modern, 62,000 all-seater arena that will be ready for the 2018/19 season and which will likely deliver multiple future benefits for the club."

Slightly strange methodology, a huge emphasis on "popularity" i.e. social media followers, and Spurs lag miles behind other top teams

Notable that Gareth Bale is #5 in the world somehow! Ronaldo first of course.

They also place an emphasis on owning your ground, so GHod knows how West Ham got onto the list, with their "popularity" and "stadium".

Slightly strange methodology, a huge emphasis on "popularity" i.e. social media followers, and Spurs lag miles behind other top teams

They also place an emphasis on owning your ground, so GHod knows how West Ham got onto the list, with their "popularity" and "stadium".
Bale's big in China. Monkey King.

At least 90% of West Ham related activity is people having a go at the owners or players. All PR is good PR I suppose.

They also get the squad value from an external source on the web. I thought a value from KPMG might have some merit, but now I'm less sure. The numbers for Spurs are not unreasonable, although I suspect the prices in the current market would be higher if we were to sell this summer.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tottenham-hotspur/startseite/verein/148

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-4...nkname=sport&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day

The big five European leagues generated a record €14.7bn (£12.6bn) in revenue in 2016-17, a 9% annual increase, according to new figures from Deloitte.

It says the European football market is now worth some €25.5bn (£21.9bn).
The English Premier League was the market leader, with record revenue of £4.5bn, as each of the 20 clubs set their own annual revenue record.
In revenue terms, the Premier League is 86% larger than its nearest competitor, Spain's La Liga.
Deloitte said the financial results of the 2016-17 football season reflected a new era of improved profitability and financial stability for European football clubs.

I'm surprised they voted for that. It means at least 8 clubs joined the six.

I some ways it restores the money sharing that has been around since the beginning of the PL, sharing some equally and some based on performance (plus some on perceived popularity on TV). The internet and foreign monies were put in the equal share pot and as they have grown the equally shared component has grown faster than the merit share. So this is less the big clubs grabbing a larger share than restoring the balance that used to exist.

That said, I think it is unnecessary and a step in the wrong direction. What would have been better is to take some of the extra foreign revenues and distribute that to the football league. The real disparity is between the PL and everyone else. It particular the difference between the top two tiers, together with the parachute payments, distorts the competition in the Championship.

Scudamore yesterday succeeded with a deal in which, from next year, any increase in the existing international rights package will be distributed according to league position. The package is forecast to rise from £3.5 billion to well over £4 billion over three years.

Scudamore, 58, achieved that by a concerted campaign to persuade the chairmen of the smaller clubs that the “big six” needed some financial recognition that, in international terms at least, they bring the most to the Premier League party.

In return he has capped the ratio for the distribution of overall revenues — as a maximum of 1.8 to 1, meaning the champions can earn up to 80 per cent more than the bottom team. Last season the ratio was 1.6 to 1 but in 1992 it was 2.1 to one. The ratio is by far the closest of any of the big leagues in Europe.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...rd-scudamores-decision-to-step-down-23wqs0r7d

The 1.8 ratio cap is reasonable and, as the article points out, significantly lower than when the PL started and completely different from the other big leagues. Although the difference for the richer clubs is rather insignificant in the greater scheme of things. So what if City and United get £20m more. The big clubs have won a petty battle while losing friends, which might not be their best long-term strategy.

thin end of the wedge for me - although its capped at the moment this will be chipped away. Once you win the principle it's easier to move

If I read their method correctly, the final would be France v Germany. England would have beaten Brazil in the QF and lost to France in the SF.

Back