• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FIFA: Destroying Football Since 1904

June would be better than midseason. If it was in off years, inbetween world cups and continental tournaments it could be quite an interesting event, rather than one few care about.

The expansion could allow all CL semi-finalists to qualify from each two year period to qualify, possibly quarterfinalists if it was a 32-club competition.

But I trust FIFA to make it even more uninteresting.

From the BBC.......deary me.....

Fifa has started disciplinary proceedings against the Football Association of Wales for incidents including "fans wearing poppies" during a recent World Cup qualifier.

It relates to commemorations at Wales' 1-1 draw with Serbia on 12 November.

The Irish Football Association is also under investigation for events prior to Northern Ireland's 4-0 victory over Azerbaijan on 11 November.

Fifa is looking in to several incidents "of the display of poppy symbols".

The FAW said the incidents included "fans in the stands wearing the poppy" and the presence of "a member of the armed forces holding a bunch of poppies at the exit of the tunnel".

Chief executive Jonathan Ford said the FAW is "disappointed and surprised" and will "strongly contest the charges".

"Our intention was to show respect on Armistice weekend which we feel we did in the right and proper way," he said.

"We also adhered to the rules and regulations of the competition and the communication from Fifa prohibiting the FAW request for the players to wear the poppy symbol on the armbands or the field of play.

"We are particularly disappointed that one of the charges relates to supporters in the stands wearing poppies."

The Irish FA said it "will robustly defend the disciplinary charges".

I can actually understand their stance towards Scotland / England. there is nothing against the poppy but it would mean making judgment on other nationalities symbols if they decide to honor their dead that may be controversial (Palestine vs Israel etc / Japan vs China), it is better to have a blanket ban than have a sports administrator have to make the judgment call. This however seems like that step too far, can't even think how they will justify it.

I can actually understand their stance towards Scotland / England. there is nothing against the poppy but it would mean making judgment on other nationalities symbols if they decide to honor their dead that may be controversial (Palestine vs Israel etc / Japan vs China), it is better to have a blanket ban than have a sports administrator have to make the judgment call. This however seems like that step too far, can't even think how they will justify it.

Obviously Remembrance Day came as a big shock to FIFA as it's only been happening since 1919. I can see some people would like to make an issue about teams acknowledging the event but to threaten to take action against an association because their fans wore poppies is insane. If they feel so incensed by such actions should they not ban national anthems at matches?

Obviously Remembrance Day came as a big shock to FIFA as it's only been happening since 1919. I can see some people would like to make an issue about teams acknowledging the event but to threaten to take action against an association because their fans wore poppies is insane. If they feel so incensed by such actions should they not ban national anthems at matches?
Perhaps ban national teams altogether because nationality is a political construct?

I am 100% of this view also, it has no real place in sport and I am comfortable with that because I will respect the fallen by going to a local service and not Wembley.

Its a flat rule to avoid any issues and it makes sense in its fullest

I am 100% of this view also, it has no real place in sport and I am comfortable with that because I will respect the fallen by going to a local service and not Wembley.

Its a flat rule to avoid any issues and it makes sense in its fullest
I understand that argument if it's countries with a history of opposition to each, but when it's two countries who fought as allies then it is stupid imo.

I know Wales and Iceland did well/were good news stories at the Euros, but the overall quality in the expanded format was dire.

Back