• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fg vs Hg boots

monkeybarry

Ian Walker
Anyone wear FG boots on astro turf?
I'm trying to work out what the real difference is between the boots and why you couldn't use FG boots on astro

Do you mean carpet old style astro turf or 3G-5G pitches like the fake grass ?

If it's the 3G 5G style pitches I wear FG boots Adidas copa mundial and they are fine good grip but not too much like I found with Fg blade style boots. Round studs is what's best IMO but equally never had a problem with astro trainers with just small rubber grips.

Reason I wear that style is because I have two pairs of boots FG -SG as play Saturday football aswell as 5 a side but if I strictly played 5s would just buy astro trainers.

Some places with new 5G pitches insist on a moulded stud as the astro style trainers have been found to flatten the fake grass so it packs down and the moulds don't do it.

Do you mean carpet old style astro turf or 3G-5G pitches like the fake grass ?

If it's the 3G 5G style pitches I wear FG boots Adidas copa mundial and they are fine good grip but not too much like I found with Fg blade style boots. Round studs is what's best IMO but equally never had a problem with astro trainers with just small rubber grips.

Reason I wear that style is because I have two pairs of boots FG -SG as play Saturday football aswell as 5 a side but if I strictly played 5s would just buy astro trainers.

Some places with new 5G pitches insist on a moulded stud as the astro style trainers have been found to flatten the fake grass so it packs down and the moulds don't do it.

But if it's the old carpet stuff flat soles is what's needed as FG would just stay on top Bambi on ice and broken ankles spring too mind ..

Carpet would deff need Astros, or even those rubber soled trainers.

I'm talking 3G.

I wear umbro speciali hg at the mo with round studs at the front

http://www.footlocker.eu/eu/en/Shoes/Umbro-Speciali-4-Liga-Hg-47.aspx/4730635704

But can only find FG umbros to replace them

http://www.kitbag.com/stores/kitbag/products/product_details.aspx?pid=98239

More like mini blades at the front.

Seems like more of a marketing gimmick to me. I can't why see why the latter wouldn't be ok on 3G.
Was just wondering if there was something I was missing that others had experienced

They say the blade type in second link tear the pitches. I have worn blades like that on a 3G pitch and did not like them way to much grip.

Umbro make a few fg type boots with round studs I would recommend Adidas copa mundial or kaiser 5 boots both very comfortable or try the nike AG boots.

Try a site called pro direct soccer got loads of boots.

But again with these blade types I have seen people not allowed on pitches because of them and they are ment to cause damage to knees and ankles.
At the fives centres I have seen the appointed refs check foot ware and recently played a side on a Saturday on a 5g pitch and they did not allow Fg blades on the pitch .

djp82 is right.

boot manufacturers are now heavily marketing 3g boots and advise people not to use fg/hg boots on 3g turf pitches.

however, my advise would be wear whatever you like most. the reality is that the extra grip provided by fg/hg boots on 3g turf is most likely beneficial for your performance as a player (hence why 100% of pro players wear fg/hg boots when playing in 3g pitches such as the one in moscow). this is because the extra grip makes you faster. however, there is a slightly higher chance of rolling your ankle etc due to the extra grip.

my opinion on these 3g specific boots is that the boot manufacturers are using the growth of participation of football being played on 3g pitches to further increase profits. imo, there is no real need for them. my advise would be either use fg/hg boots or the more trainer like boots.

Seems like more of a marketing gimmick to me. I can't why see why the latter wouldn't be ok on 3G.
Was just wondering if there was something I was missing that others had experienced

The difference between FG and HG is that theyre designed for different hardness of natural grass surfaces.
FG boots are for when the grass is a bit softer than what HG boots are designed for. But as you have noticed, the difference is minimal.

if anything, you would probably want to use the HG boots on 3g tho (the studs on those are a bit less intrusive). also afaik, umbro do not yet make 3g specific boots, hence why they might be recommending those boots for 3g pitches.

and yes, imo both are fine for 3g if you want to use these over astro trainers.

Back