• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fernando Llorente

Don't you see the correlation to what the issue could be? He hasnt played as a lone striker in a pressing team, and his style doesnt look like he will ever be suited to such. At the same time our style means we arent a team that particularly goes ariel - Dele scored a few from his head ghosting in from midfield, but Im not convinced we will ever go the direct route even as a plan B. Not criticising Llorente, just dont think he is that suited to our team and would have preferred Janssen. But for sure, still early days but maybe now people can appreciate how difficult it can be as an understudy to Kane. No matter how established a striker you are, only getting minutes here and there and expecting to get goals/impact the game to anywhere near Kanes level is extremely tough.....
Didn't he play as a lone striker for Bilbao under Bielsa?

Didn't he play as a lone striker for Bilbao under Bielsa?
You're asking the question so you must know, Ive no idea if he played as lone striker there but if he did he was at an age where he was in his prime at around 26, he's 32 now and like all strikers have to amend their game accordingly.....

I don't see this idea that Llorente isn't capable of pressing anymore. He seems to do fine to me. Although someone did mention he didn't close down De Gea for the Old Trafford goal - was this the case? I've tried to find a highlight of the goal including DDG's kick, and I can't.

Sort of like the dark side of the moon, you mean? Aka the dark side of football? You want Fernando to be a naughty boy?

All of our players should be death eaters.

Offensive changes should still be harassing cb's and running the channels, if we are winning they should be doing the right things, get it in the corner, earn free kicks, disrupt and time waste.

Imagine the stick Sissoko would have got if he’d done that through on goal and he’s not even a striker....

Indeed, or Vincent Janssen last season. Madrid away apart he has looked poor, and in particular a completely non existent goal threat

Last edited:
He’s following in the great tradition of recent Spurs substitute strikers.

Last edited:
Remember when we had Bebatov,Keane and Defoe, was Bent there too at same time? Goals, goals, goals....

Yet, kane probably score more than all of them combined, and then there's alli, Son and Eriksen. :D

I'm not worried about llorente. Poor miss yesterday, but if he'll get a run of matches he'll come good. We haven't exactly played to his strengths yet either. Let tripper smack crosses at him over a couple of games, and we'll score and create chances. :)

Yet, kane probably score more than all of them combined, and then there's alli, Son and Eriksen. :D

I'm not worried about llorente. Poor miss yesterday, but if he'll get a run of matches he'll come good. We haven't exactly played to his strengths yet either. Let tripper smack crosses at him over a couple of games, and we'll score and create chances. :)
How many Kane has scored is irrelative, fact was all four of them were proven goalscorers so if one or two forwards weren't fit we still had some firepower.

As for not playing to Llorente's strengths, Im not sure we ever will go anymore ariel than we already do. We get crosses in when Kane etc is on the pitch, you telling me you think that all of a sudden stops when Llorente comes on? Its more his movement that is the issue, and what really bugs me is he looks weak on the ball whenever it goes up to him - Jansen was ten times better at bringing others into play, which if youre not going to be scoring at least bring others into the game who will....

How many Kane has scored is irrelative, fact was all four of them were proven goalscorers so if one or two forwards weren't fit we still had some firepower.

As for not playing to Llorente's strengths, Im not sure we ever will go anymore ariel than we already do. We get crosses in when Kane etc is on the pitch, you telling me you think that all of a sudden stops when Llorente comes on? Its more his movement that is the issue, and what really bugs me is he looks weak on the ball whenever it goes up to him - Jansen was ten times better at bringing others into play, which if youre not going to be scoring at least bring others into the game who will....
We had four strikers for two positions. Kane is better than all of them, even Berba. And in Son and Llorente we have at least decent cover.

I do wonder a bit about the Llorente signing. To me it signals that we rate a young striker highly, if not I think we would have gone for someone younger. Could be that we think Janssen will come back and be a player for us, or it could be Sterling.

should have course just be that we couldn't find or sign anyone we wanted so we just went for cover in Llorente. I'm putting my money on Sterling though.

We had four strikers for two positions. Kane is better than all of them, even Berba. And in Son and Llorente we have at least decent cover.

I do wonder a bit about the Llorente signing. To me it signals that we rate a young striker highly, if not I think we would have gone for someone younger. Could be that we think Janssen will come back and be a player for us, or it could be Sterling.

should have course just be that we couldn't find or sign anyone we wanted so we just went for cover in Llorente. I'm putting my money on Sterling though.
Could be the problem is having someone on the bench who is not match fit? Whoever plays understudy won't get many minutes. Perhaps it should be a youngster playing regularly for the Development Squad?
As it stands, we don't look any better off than with Janssen.

Back