1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Fernando Llorente

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Aug 2017.

1. Surfless

Surfless Gilberto

I'd like to think that when Kane is fit Llorente will be used as a plan B, and C - B being "get a big man up top and start pinging him for knock downs" and C as "give Kane a rest once a game is put to bed". Kane's also shown he's bright enough to play something of an Eriksen role, which would mean he's able to sit deeper and feed off a big striker - that was originally what was touted as being the way that Janssen would fit into the first 11 when we were excited and thought he might be a player - as its turned out its rarely happened.

Kane getting knock downs would be deadly - he's already great at scrappy goal grabbery!

2. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Les Ferdinand

Id be surprised if he got a new deal, his is up this summer isnt it?

I still think Son has proven to be Kanes most able replacement, and that we are more likely to buy another AM to cover for Son should he play up front than we are to buy another striker.

That being said, Llorente still has a potentially big part to play this season

AdamB likes this.
  3. AdamB

AdamB Paul Walsh

Agree with all that. We need another Son-like player in the summer

4. Surfless

Surfless Gilberto

Son is technically interchangeable with Dele, Eriksen, Lamela, and Moura. If we need anything this summer its a second No9 so that Son can be played in his best position.

5. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Les Ferdinand

I disagree, in that Son is very interchangeable with Kane (proven now over 2 extended spells) but neither Dele/Eriksen/Lamela or Moura are.

Although Poch has tried with Moura up front so maybe in time?

With Llorente and Janssen on the books Son is still preferred if ever Kane is out.

Suggesting another No.9 just isnt likely or necessary.

I think we will lose both Llorente and Jansen, keep Son as first reserve and maybe bring Sterling into the squad as young up and comer if he does well at Sunderland.

Allowing us another AM, which gives more options for rotation and substitution over matches.

6. GinolaGinolaGinola

GinolaGinolaGinola Terry Venables

How many of those has he been given more than 3 or 4 minutes though? I cant recall many when he had a good half hour or so to get into the game so the stats are a bit harsh on him.

Im glad we have him as when we are struggling with our normal high tempo passing game, we can change to him and go long. Every team needs that and I think he will prove useful against Liverpool, City, Arsenal and even West Ham.

parklane1 likes this.
  7. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Edgar Davids

One goal every 99* minutes (all comps) for Fernando this season compared with one every 128 for Harry and one every 136 for Heung Min. Ironic, especially as 4 of Harry's were from the penalty spot.

*excluding og's of course :cool:

8. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Robinson

[​IMG]

:p:p

Tbh you win with the operative word "against"...:D

monkeybarry likes this.
  9. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Justin Edinburgh

The odd goal and assist cannot cover up that he doesn't suit our style of play, he always does his best but at his age and not playing regularly its always going to be difficult for him. I always saw his heading ability to be the area where he would add something to our play but that has been poor this reason and I've rarely seen him attack a cross or move towards a ball in the box, he's too static and that effects our fluid style.

10. glorygloryeze

On the whole and long-term i agree. However, when he has played it's often when Trippier has gone into his take 3/4 touches before crossing phase...the number of times we have delayed a cross (or crossed woefully) when he's been in the perfect position hasn't helped him.

It would be good to get in a more mobile version of a striker like Llorente who could also give us that aerial threat though. Someone like Dzeko (not necessarily Dzeko himself) would be great imo

11. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Les Medley

The guy is static and is a lamppost

But he has done a job and been effective as seen by our results

12. alekaras

alekaras Young-Pyo Lee

Touché.

13. alekaras

alekaras Young-Pyo Lee

Odd goal and assist? He has 7 goals/assists in his last 7. 7 in his last 6 if you allow him the first game to find his feet. I wouldn't call that odd.

Kandi1977 likes this.
  14. Raziel

Raziel Paul Stalteri

Combination of generally brick crosses (or late) and him not being match fit has made the problem seem far worse than it is.

I actually think Poch needs to build (adapt) more around him (this is a failing of Poch, the side is built for Kane, we don't adapt for our 2nd striker and they fail miserably). Tweak the players/rotation to support Llorente, e.g. maybe Jan at LWB, he holds up, need a runner beyond him, leverage Llorente more in closing games (his Arial ability is helpful defensively a well).

Fact is, he's far more productive than his predecessors and given enough game time, could see him getting double figure in a season.

The long term question is, do we want another "striker" or are we going to look for another Son/Lucas type to fill in on the odd occasion?

15. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Edgar Davids

Would prefer an upgrade on Lamela. Made an excellent start to the season but has been struggling to make an impact for some while now.

K.D.D.D.D.Soc likes this.
  16. parklane1

parklane1 Luka Modric

Good post and bang on, its just another example of stats not telling the true story. He is what he is and if we fail to play to his strengths ( which we have done at times) then we will not see the best of him. Thankfully now we are doing that more and added to the fact that he is getting more game time we are seeing the benefit he can bring to our team.

17. glorygloryeze

Just realised that none of our title rivals have a Llorente type to bring on in the last 10/15 minutes...could be crucial..?

nayenezgani likes this.
  18. alekaras

alekaras Young-Pyo Lee

And wait till you see his Times New Roman. Needs to work on his Helvetica, though.

19. alekaras

alekaras Young-Pyo Lee

Nope. It's just an example of using the wrong stats. Two entirely different things. :)

spurrrr likes this.
  20. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Justin Edinburgh

Yeah it's a shame we don't play in league 2 his stats would be even better.

21. alekaras

alekaras Young-Pyo Lee

Those 7 were against PL/CL opposition. I'm not counting Tranmere.