• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Federico Fazio

How quick is Mertesacker? I remember a ton of people making fun of that signing as well. Seems like he's got on pretty well with good positioning, a good football brain, and a mobile partner. Obviously, not saying Fazio is as good as him (or he might me, I have no clue), but a big old unit with good positioning seems like a good foil to the athletic Vertonghen. Maybe even better than Musachio was.

we got lamela a mate, last time we had two argentinians in the team, we did fairly well

How fast is/was Terry and Adams? Two of the dominant CBs in Prem history. Bobby Moore wasn't fast either, did all right IIRC. Shame he didn't get his wish to come to us though.

Looking forward to chants of "Argentina, Argentina....." resounding around WHL again, as they did 35 odd years ago.

That was before the Falklands war and the 'Hand of GHod'. I was furious when the Utd fans were singing for Argentina one game at the Lane after the 98 World Cup and the fall out from that. I don't go to the Lane anymore, but after the Maradona 'goal' in 86 and then the way they dumped us out in 98, I could never sing for Argentina again. Still delighted to have Fazio on board, would sing his name no problem.

That was before the Falklands war and the 'Hand of GHod'. I was furious when the Utd fans were singing for Argentina one game at the Lane after the 98 World Cup and the fall out from that. I don't go to the Lane anymore, but after the Maradona 'goal' in 86 and then the way they dumped us out in 98, I could never sing for Argentina again. Still delighted to have Fazio on board, would sing his name no problem.

Not true, mate. There were huge chants of "Argentina, Argentina...." for Ossie and Ricky during the Falklands war!

We wouldn't be chanting for the country. We'd be chanting for the player and the manager (plus some of his coaching staff?). And Ossie and Ricky all over again, why not! It's no different to when we used to chant "U.S.A, U.S.A....". It was for Kasey Keller and latterly (sometimes) Brad - not because we were expressing our love for America.

I can appreciate that you can't separate the two and fair enough. But if that Argentina chant gets going again, I'll be more than happy to sing along.

Last edited:
Not true, mate. There were huge chants of "Argentina, Argentina...." for Ossie and Ricky during the Falklands war!

We wouldn't be chanting for the country. We'd be chanting for the player and the manager (plus some of his coaching staff?). And Ossie and Ricky all over again, why not! It's no different to when we used to chant "U.S.A, U.S.A....". It was for Kasey Keller and latterly (sometimes) Brad - not because we were expressing our love for America.

I can appreciate that you can't separate the two and fair enough. But if that Argentina chant gets going again, I'll be more than happy to sing along.

Fair enough, didn't realize that. Quite surprising to me, in view of the anti-Argentina feelings at the time. Personally I was against the Falklands war, as I've been against pretty much every one of our foreign wars since 1945, but I know so many people were really up for that war, which I found surprising in itself. Anyway, not the place for politics, etc.

I get the idea that by singing 'Argentina' you'e not singing for the country, but returning to football, no way after 86 and 98, would I sing for that country.

relishing Fazio vs Balotelli

i'd imagine the bookies will be having fun with the odds for both teams ending up with 10 men :)

I'd love to hear choruses of Arr-henn-teenah! Arr-henn-teenah! ring 'round The Lane. It'd be good for the image of the club y nos partidarios.

And, mercifully, shift the discussion away from the Yid thing for a while, too.

Anyway, being in a mood to burn bridges, here's that little ditty that irritated the Brazilians no end. Not sure Paulinho would like to hear it:

[video=youtube;4J3yV9hv-gE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J3yV9hv-gE[/video]

im almost willing to bet we wont see fazio until europa league/capital one cup

The very gentle introduction of Davies and Vorm certainly suggests this.

I don't think Dier would be playing yet either if any two of Chiriches, Walker, Verts and Naughton had been available at the same time.

Saying that, I'm crapping myself at the prospect of Kaboul and Rose facing Liverpool's forward-line.

So we have signed a whole Defence this summer. Im not sure about this signing. Im assuming MoPo sees him as a starter being that he is already 27 years old.

Summer Signings:

--------------------Vorm----------------------

Yedlin------Dier------------Fazio---------Davies

Not very sexy signings but seems MoPo must see where he thinks our weakness is.

looks like we might have a real beast at the back, look how small he makes that goal look

Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These

[he points to some plastic cows on the table]

Father Ted: are very small; those

[pointing at some cows out of the window]

Father Ted: are far away...

Out with the Brazilians, in with the Argentinians.

After watching the WC, it's Colombians, Chileans and Hondurans we should be looking at too.

South Americans in general seem to have found a good blend of technique and physicality, in a way that Southern Europe is still too far towards the former and Northern Europe (except Germany) too far towards the latter.

Saying that, I'm crapping myself at the prospect of Kaboul and Rose facing Liverpool's forward-line.

Is their forward line that scary now that Suarez is gone? Would much rather than we play against Balotelli then Suarez as he doesnt have the same movement

Is their forward line that scary now that Suarez is gone? Would much rather than we play against Balotelli then Suarez as he doesnt have the same movement

Yes, they're still very dangerous going forward. Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho and Balotelli could cause us a lot of problems. Plus Markovic and Lambert as possibles off the bench. Not to mention that Henderson and Gerrard are good for quite a few goals a season. We're not anywhere near so solid at the back yet to be able to feel confident of keeping that lot out.

Good news is that they are also dodgy at the back and we carry a big goal scoring threat too.

Yep, I'm quite fearful of sturridge and sterling especially. Not to mention that for a while now, Rodgers has been building a system which, in attack at least, is greater than the sum of its parts, which I think they showed in the second half of the season.

Hopeful that we have enough in attack on the day to balance out the threat.

of the two sterling is the harder one to clamp down.

sturridge has been really fortunate to play along side suarez and sterling who create massive problems with their trickery and movement, and open up space for him to play into.

Back