• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League Draw - Gent (BEL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Objectively, we're the second-wealthiest side in that entire lot, only behind United. In terms of quality, I'd say we're roughly on par with United, Lyon, Roma, Villarreal and Schalke, but not one of them is conclusively better than us, man-for-man.

If we want to win this, we will. The question is, does Poch want to, or is it just another surrender job?

I sincerely hope he makes the right decision (from my point of view, anyway) come February.
No doubt he will be worrying about fatigue, the up and coming games and rotating to make sure he can fit in his double training sessions.

I can't stand this competition but we haven't had to play in the ridiculous group stages, Man Utd are laughably favorites to win this, we're 2nd favs, there's Roma and then a lot of also ran's, this looks very winnable and the carrot for me more than the trophy is the CL entry of course. And to those who talk about winning trophies, the europa won't exist in 10 years and who talks about when they won the cup winners cup? remember that one ?
I do.
Made Tottenham Hotspurs the first BRITISH team to win a European competition.

No one can re-write that piece of history or take that away from us, not even you!

The draw is key. If we get lucky with some home ties until the last 8 or so then it's anyone's tournaments. Last year we fudged up big style losing at home to Palace. They ended up in the final :mad:
But it enabled us to focus on winning the Prem, the rotation was well worth it, if I recall.

As someone posted earlier, we have no game after the first leg so play a strong side there and try and kill the tie, after the return leg we play Stoke at home which wont be easy.
But let's not brick ourselves over Stoke.

I think we can do it, the are some good teams in it but we have proved in the last few years we can live with the best in the prem. Think even if we were with in a few points of the top of the prem we should put out our strongest teams in the europa league and go for it.

Would be good for some silverware and also we need our young squad to get used to high pressure games which is where I think we went wrong in the Champs league this season. We took it to casually, European football at what ever level is good experience for us and something we need to play more of.

No doubt he will be worrying about fatigue, the up and coming games and rotating to make sure he can fit in his double training sessions.

Or using it as an excuse to avoid putting in the effort needed to seriously give winning a trophy a shot. Really depends on what he prioritises, treading water in the league or going for glory in the cups. I know what I'd like to see us doing, at least as much as possible.

Or using it as an excuse to avoid putting in the effort needed to seriously give winning a trophy a shot. Really depends on what he prioritises, treading water in the league or going for glory in the cups. I know what I'd like to see us doing, at least as much as possible.
I would like us to go and try and win every game.
Play the best available team, anyone with a knock doesn't play; anyone out of form doesn't play; anyone not appropriate for the tactics of the day doesn't play.
As the Liverpool managers used to say in their heyday: "...one game at a time.."
Every player should be petrified of being dropped as he may not get back into the side for a while.
Of course, we may still not win anything but we will all know we gave it our all. No excuses.

At least one Yid amongst the Gent players, it would seem. :p They generally seem quite happy to have drawn us (probably not because they think they can win, though).

Asked to get some info about Gent on a forum
Our team has no real 'star' players (especially since we sold our three best players last season) but depends largely on a group effort. At the moment, Coulibaly is in good shape (look for his last minute goal against Konyaspor and his goal against KV Oostende), but the real star is the manager: Hein Vanhaezebrouck, who led us to our first ever title in 2014-2015. He'ss considered to be very strong when it comes to tactics and always starts games with his own game plan, without adapting too much to the other side. That worked out fine in the Champions League last year (against Zenit St Petersburg, Valencia, Lyon and even against Wolfsburg, who knocked us out).

Plenty of enthusiasm for the game at Wembley over here. I wouldn't be surprised if 5.000 or more fans made the trip.
Gent survived the group stage of the CL last year in a group with zenith, Valencia and Lyon. We usually play 3-4 - 2 - 1 with attacking football and possession.
I think we'll be with at least 5,000 supporters.
For us, this is the perfect draw, against a very good team, with three Belgian players and an epic trip to Wembley...
we expect a mass migration. The club asked not to call for tickets anymore cause they cant handle the demand.
We play attacking football with very high full backs. Its not the quality team from CL last season but I would be surprised if we would be slaughtered.

I'll get some of these on order.
customimage

Ghent is VERY close to the beautiful city of Bruges. Me and the wife decided to drive there one day from Bruges. It took about 12 seconds.

We were surprised how beautiful it was/is.

along-the-kraanlei.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back