1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Europa League Draw - Gent (BEL)

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by Jordinho, 8 Dec 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denmark Spur

Denmark Spur Mitchell Thomas

They are group winners - we cant draw them.

2. Vega

Vega Neil Sullivan

If we are predicting teams that we CANT draw, i think its going to be Utd all day long.

3. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Because we're the best team in the competition and winning a trophy is the next stage in the development of this side. This should be our best opportunity to win European silverware since 1984.

parklane1 and Bedfordspurs like this.
  4. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Robinson

I'd LOVE us to win a trophy, especially a European one. But the bolded bit is just nonsense, i'm sorry

5. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Andy Thompson

We are the best side in it IMO too

It's whether we take it serious or not

It's probably our best route into the champions league next season and couple that with a trophy it would be brilliant

6. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Bookmakers make us second favourite behind United, and we're definitely a better side than them (yesterday's result would only have been the away leg after all).

7. Jordinho

Jordinho John White Staff Member

Our chance of finishing in the top 4 is much higher. One bad result and you're out of a cup.

Jurgen the German likes this.
  8. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Colin Calderwood

The FA Cup is the one we should go all out for. If we get to the last 16 of the EL then play a full strength team from then on. Until then, play the kids.

9. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Clint Dempsey

Indeed. For me a big part of it is that I'd much rather have the chance to see Spurs play in some big venues in Europe and for us to prove ourselves, bar a run here and there we have always been found wanting when it comes the real competition aspect. Success breeds success and up until we reach it the circle jerk of our style and youth can pass the time but it can't be the sole objective.

This will also see players given more time on the pitch that perhaps wouldn't have been available, one would hope it could lift maybe Janssen or Sissoko in to some form; Winks is in a position where he should be playing regularly as well. It's the squad management to enable us to compete on all fronts, after considerable time to shape the squad, realistically though when it comes to it we all know what happens. I've been impressed by Pochetino at times, but my main doubt of him coming here was that he hasn't won trophies as of yet. Either we should have the squad depth needed, or we need to make some savvy moves in January which I doubt we will attempt. But here is a chance to display the determination and tenacity needed to actually win something, hopefully a nice draw to start off with would help.

Hemant likes this.
  10. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

FA cup = EL
    EL cup = CL

Plus we know there are 5 other very strong teams in the FA cup at this point in time.

There's also only two (should be fairly easy + no parallel LC commitments) games until the last 16.

11. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Robinson

Yeah, didn't the bookies make us favourite to get through our CL as well?
    Definitely a better side than Man U? Even though we limply lost to them yesterday when it was THEM that had to play on Thursday and AWAY in the far reaches of the Ukraine?

Has supporting Spurs all these years taught you nothing about "definitely being the better side"??
    Sometimes tactics, coaching and know how from a manager can trump many things: our manager is probably the LEAST experienced in actually WINNING A TROPHY out of all the teams. Not knocking Poch but PLEASE STOP with the hyperbole.

Hemant and Jurgen the German like this.
  12. Ade's folks are ok really

Ade's folks are ok really Gus Poyet

D'oh! Bloody idiot! Ok, i'll go for either a tricky one v Borussia MG or Legia... or a typical long haul to Krasnodar :eek:(

Vega likes this.
  13. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Colin Calderwood

We're in touch with the top 4 (3 pts behind). The EL is a massive slog just to get to the semis. What did Liverpool have to show for their EL run last season? An 8th place finish. IF we get to the last 16 or last 8 then I would be willing to revise my opinion but this tournament is like groundhog day for us i.e. we get to the last 16 then crash out, almost like the competition is designed to keep teams in it rather than prepare them for the big jump to the CL.

14. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Vedran Corluka

Utd draw St-Etienne

15. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Andy Thompson

Very cushy journey that

16. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

[​IMG]

Glenda's Legs likes this.
  17. Denmark Spur

Denmark Spur Mitchell Thomas