• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2013-14: Dnipro (UKR), Benfica (POR)/PAOK (GRE)

Re: Europa League 2013-14

Teams finishing 3rd in Champions League groups transferring to Europa League:
Shakhtar Donetsk
Benfica (definitely seeded)
Viktoria Plzen (definitely unseeded)

Teams finishing 3rd in Champions League groups transferring to Europa League:
Shakhtar Donetsk
Benfica (definitely seeded)
Viktoria Plzen (definitely unseeded)

Did Plzen finish 3rd at the expense of CSKA Moscow? Beeb (not that they are the fountain of knowledge) has them 4th.

edit: Its just changed now...

Did Plzen finish 3rd at the expense of CSKA Moscow? Beeb (not that they are the fountain of knowledge) has them 4th.

Plzen qualified on away goals in their head-to-head. You should never trust BBC for anything. Their football stuff is full of errors.

Benfica68-810
Shaktar Donetsk69-59
Napoli58-99
Schalke54-67
Ajax55-87
Juventus69-96
Porto53-45
Viktoria Plzen66-173

Benfica are guaranteed to be seeded and Viktoria and Juventus unseeded.

The entire structure of the European Club competitions is a joke, with the Europa League being the punch-line.

Things were so much better with the three old UEFA knock-out competitions.

Benfica68-810
Shaktar Donetsk69-59
Napoli58-99
Schalke54-67
Ajax55-87
Juventus69-96
Porto53-45
Viktoria Plzen66-173

Benfica are guaranteed to be seeded and Viktoria and Juventus unseeded.

Beautiful. Quite likely Ajax and Porto will be the other unseeded teams so we have a 1 in 4 chance of drawing any of those 3 in the drop outs from the 12 teams we can face.

I would be very happy with any of those 3 to be honest. Once we get through I want quality ties that really catch the imagination. I thought the home ties against Lyon and Inter were quite lively and Basel would have been the same had it not been for going 0-2 down and the injury to Bale.

Makes it bloody competitive I guess, but as posted elsewhere, it makes the competition a joke

Qualification for Europa League last 32:
SEEDED
Valencia
Ludogorets
Rubin Kazan
Eintracht Frankfurt
Genk
Tottenham Hotspur
Napoli
Benfica
Shakhtar Donetsk
Basel
UNSEEDED
Anzhi Makhachkala

Ajax
Juventus
Porto
Viktoria Plzen
Also qualified (seeding to be determined by final round of matches): Salzburg, Esbjerg, Fiorentina, Dnipro, Sevilla, Lyon, Real Betis, Trabzonspor, Lazio, AZ Alkmaar & PAOK.

+6 other places to be decided.

I hope people will now realise there was no point in playing a strong side in the Europa when we would have finished 2nd at least regardless.

Not happy with the way these teams get entered into the competition but I can't help but like the fact we could play against the likes of Napoli, Ajax, Juventus etc.

Not happy with the way these teams get entered into the competition but I can't help but like the fact we could play against the likes of Napoli, Ajax, Juventus etc.

I agree. Although I want us to win it and wouldnt say no to an easier draw, I woud not be disappointed if we happened to get paired with Porto,Ajax or Juve.
Now that would be worth getting home at 2am in the morning for

Me too. Just enough glamour and a few recent connections between the clubs without being an insurmountable opponent.

then Benfica in the next round, followed by Napoli in the quarters, Juventus in the semis denying them hope of playing the final at their ground before meeting Porto in the final.

I hope people will now realise there was no point in playing a strong side in the Europa when we would have finished 2nd at least regardless.

Other than to qualify for the next round and give more game time to aide the squads development together/with the tactics, there was literally no point whatsoever

There's also the coefficient points that will see us seeded in pot 2 should we qualify for the CL.

Back