• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2013-14: Dnipro (UKR), Benfica (POR)/PAOK (GRE)

Re: Europa League 2013-14

UEFA don't seem to have factored the latest EL results in, but I think we are currently in 17th, just ahead of Dortmund and within touching distance of Marseille in 16th.

UEFA's website seems to be updated (with us 17th) but Bert Kassies' is generally faster. We can reasonably expect to overtake Marseille in the rankings but there is quite a large gap to Shakhtar Donetsk in 15th. Meanwhile there are several teams close behind us that will receive 5 additional coefficient points when they qualify from their Champions League group. By the time the group stages are completed I think we'll be lower than 17th.

Guaranteed qualification to the knockout round:
Group winners: Valencia, Ludogorets, Rubin Kazan, Eintracht Frankfurt, Genk & Tottenham Hotspur
Runners-up: Anzhi
Others qualified (position TBD): Salzburg, Esbjerg, Fiorentina, Dnipro, Sevilla, Lyon, Real Betis, Trabzonspor, Lazio, AZ Alkmaar & PAOK

Guaranteed qualification to the knockout round:
Group winners: Valencia, Ludogorets, Rubin Kazan, Eintracht Frankfurt, Genk & Tottenham Hotspur
Runners-up: Anzhi
Others qualified (position TBD): Salzburg, Esbjerg, Fiorentina, Dnipro, Sevilla, Lyon, Real Betis, Trabzonspor, Lazio, AZ Alkmaar & PAOK

Would have loved us to draw Eintracht Frankfurt, love the to see some of the famous names from the past back in Europe, but obv cant as they are Group winners too.
A rematch v lazio is looming, plus the prospect of some long trips in amongst those potential Group runners-up.

We are now joint 17th with City in the rankings, but since they're in the CL they are given additional points. We probably need to get at least two rounds further than they do to finish the season ahead of them. AC Milan are highly unlikely to be in the CL next season and there are 4 English teams above us, so a pot 2 seeding looks likely should we get there. Inter will lose a third of their points next season and drop to somewhere around 30th place.

How lucky where we to get this league 2 type group... I mean Anzi is last in Russia, Tromso relegated to 2nd division, and Moldova says it all... "It's like crossing the road and a truck is coming right, you don't see it, and a bag of money drops on your head and stops you in your tracks from getting hit by the truck" lucky

Would have loved us to draw Eintracht Frankfurt, love the to see some of the famous names from the past back in Europe, but obv cant as they are Group winners too.
A rematch v lazio is looming, plus the prospect of some long trips in amongst those potential Group runners-up.
I would like us to avoid german football in these early stages, they have potential and even if Frankfurt ain't doing that well in the league, they can cause problems. The way we are playing right now, i wish for an easy match, to bad we can;t draw anzji again :D

How lucky where we to get this league 2 type group... I mean Anzi is last in Russia, Tromso relegated to 2nd division, and Moldova says it all... "It's like crossing the road and a truck is coming right, you don't see it, and a bag of money drops on your head and stops you in your tracks from getting hit by the truck" lucky

Time to cash in on that luck that isnt it...

Only 8 games till the final !!!!

COYS

Mate, I have no idea what that means but I love your posts!!

The comm last night says we avoid the ECL drop outs and play the second legs at home.

Yes I heard him say that, but I dont think it 100% correct. I thought the 12 Group Winners went into one pot with the 4 highest-ranked CL dropouts. While the 12 Group Runners-up go into the other pot with the 4 lowest-ranked CL dropouts.
Meaning we could draw a team that had played in the CL.
Didnt that happen last season when we ended up drawing Lyon?

Yes I heard him say that, but I dont think it 100% correct. I thought the 12 Group Winners went into one pot with the 4 highest-ranked CL dropouts. While the 12 Group Runners-up go into the other pot with the 4 lowest-ranked CL dropouts.

Lyon were never in the CL last year.

You've got the process correct. Just to clarify - the best / worst 4 CL dropouts are based on their comparative results from the CL groups rather than their UEFA ranking.

You've got the process correct. Just to clarify - the best / worst 4 CL dropouts are based on their comparative results from the CL groups rather than their UEFA ranking.

Cheers, wasnt sure how they determined the ranking.

If they qualify in 2nd in their group, could we draw Swansea as they are from a different country, or would we kept apart as we repsresent the same association? (Not that I would be worried about playing them, just curious)

Looking at some of the trips we might get from the runners up, I think I would prefer one from the CL drop outs. The only likely runners up I would fancy us getting would be PSV or Real Betis. Kinda hoping Juventus finish 3rd, wouldn't mind having a crack at them - thats a proper glamour tie. Schalke or Porto would be a great tie over two legs as well.

If they qualify in 2nd in their group, could we draw Swansea as they are from a different country, or would we kept apart as we repsresent the same association? (Not that I would be worried about playing them, just curious)

In the next round we can not be drawn against team from same group (Anzhi) or association (Swansea, Arsenal).
After that round it's open draw though. Kinda hoping for Esbjerg, that would be ideal.

Crikey, current 3rd place teams from the CL Groups

Shakhtar Donetesk (now in Europa League)
Galatasary or Juventus (to be decided)
Benfica (now in Europa League)
CSKSA Moscow (now in Europa League)

Basel or Schalke 04
Napoli or Borussia Dortmund (cant see Arsnal losing 3-0)
Zenit or FC Porto
Milan or Ajax

Jeeez, almost reads like a whos whos of European football. As far as progressing in the competiton ios concerned, all those are a threat, but on the flipside all of them would provide a great European night at the Lane if we drew one

Benfica68-810
Shaktar Donetsk69-59
Napoli58-99
Schalke54-67
Ajax55-87
Porto53-45
Galatasaray57-144
Viktoria Plzen66-173

Benfica are guaranteed to be seeded and Viktoria unseeded.

Back