• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I don't agree that Lamela is Eriksen's natural understudy/competition. We currently don't have such a player in the squad and I hope we strengthen here in the summer.

I didn't say he was a natural replacement, they're different players much how Alli and Son are different players to each other as well.

But if you want the right blend of attributes on the pitch at the same time you'd pair them how I have, imo

Really? You think he'd want to be a backup and sit on the bench when he could probably get in the team of a midtable/top half side? Unless your name is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, most players wouldn't want to be a bench warmer.

So what's your plan? Buy someone worse than Siggurdsson and Lamela so they are happy to play second fiddle to Eriksen?

So what's your plan? Buy someone worse than Siggurdsson and Lamela so they are happy to play second fiddle to Eriksen?

When did I say that? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you the person who says you don't need to buy first teamers to improve your squad, "you buy better backups"? Apologies if this is not you.

Ideally, I'd like someone at Eriksen's level but that will be a tough ask given our wage structure so I would go for someone young with potential like Julian Brandt for example.

When did I say that? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you the person who says you don't need to buy first teamers to improve your squad, "you buy better backups"? Apologies if this is not you.

Ideally, I'd like someone at Eriksen's level but that will be a tough ask given our wage structure so I would go for someone young with potential like Julian Brandt for example.

Well you have just questioned whether Siggurdsson would come here to play second fiddle and in other posts you've said you want someone more similar to Eriksen than Lamela in the squad - so it follows that you realise we can't get someone as good as Siggurdsson to play back up but want to do it anyway - or have I got it wrong and you're happy with Lamela?

Edit: don't know much about Brandt but a cursory look just now suggests he's a left midfielder? Not sure that'd solve the problem you think we have - have to say it does come across a case of 'anyone but Lamela' for a few of you

Last edited:
Prepare yourself for some heresy, Siggy has no pace, not very good first touch, slows the play down, cannot run pass people. He has a great shot, and takes good dead ball kicks. He doesn't have the physicality Poch wants, Eriksen covers far more ground than him. He's a big fish in a small pond and looks happy to perform well now and then, but can't do it every week. He is better than Sissoko and GKN from the limit time I've seen them, but I'd rather give Winks more time than bring back Siggy.

I didn't say he was a natural replacement, they're different players much how Alli and Son are different players to each other as well.

But if you want the right blend of attributes on the pitch at the same time you'd pair them how I have, imo

Regretfully Lamela has a really poor availability record. Furthermore, There must be some doubt that he be "happy", even if fit, to be on the bench. I still think we need someone much more aligned to Eriksen's playmaker skill-set.

Really? You think he'd want to be a backup and sit on the bench when he could probably get in the team of a midtable/top half side? Unless your name is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, most players wouldn't want to be a bench warmer.
Firstly I wasn't being serious anyway, he obviously wanted to go because he wasn't getting enough game time. But Im sure he'd get plenty of games under Poch, don't forget Alli is suspended for first three CL games too so theres a spot up for grabs in CL games. There are plenty of players beyond Solskjaer who are 'bench warmers', or are you telling me Chelsea, Arsenal Emirates Marketing Project et al have no players except young players on the bench??

I liked Siggy and thought he was harshly judged by some of our fans and he has proved what a good player he is now that he gets regular game time. However i doubt he would want to return here with the players we already have that fill his posistion, if he does leave Swansea i have no doubt it will be to a bigger club then Swansea.

Regretfully Lamela has a really poor availability record. Furthermore, There must be some doubt that he be "happy", even if fit, to be on the bench. I still think we need someone much more aligned to Eriksen's playmaker skill-set.

obviously my position comes with the caveat that all is well behind the scenes, we can only guess there so if there are problems then i would probably have a different outlook - personally i don't think think we have to play with a carbon copy of Eriksen in the side to do well, we just need to have another highly creative player in his place, something we lack when Lamela is injured.

If you look at last season, which was the first that Lamela (and Eriksen) played in the same attack as both Kane and Alli, you will see that he was the squads best assist maker and second only to Eriksen for chances created* - so, overall, we know he: works well with both Kane and Alli, creates plenty of chances for his team mates, works well off the ball and that he suits Poch's high pressing game. If we are talking purely on the field then im not sure what more people want or what they expect us to do in the transfer market, seems an unnecessary gamble to me to try and find a better option than what we have.

*obviously stats don't tell the whole story but they at least help back up my view that he is a good creative outlet.

Last edited:
Hopefully by stating a specific day that he will have surgery on his hip, the club will have put an end to the majority of doubts about what the matter is with Erik.
Of course, there will always be some bone-headed obstinate types who refuse to believe anything except a conspiracy that casts the club in a dim light.

obviously my position comes with the caveat that all is well behind the scenes, we can only guess there so if there are problems then i would probably have a different outlook - personally i don't think think we have to play with a carbon copy of Eriksen in the side to do well, we just need to have another highly creative player in his place, something we lack when Lamela is injured.

If you look at last season, which was the first that Lamela (and Eriksen) played in the same attack as both Kane and Alli, you will see that he was the squads best assist maker and second only to Eriksen for chances created* - so, overall, we know he: works well with both Kane and Alli, creates plenty of chances for his team mates, works well off the ball and that he suits Poch's high pressing game. If we are talking purely on the field then im not sure what more people want or what they expect us to do in the transfer market, seems an unnecessary gamble to me to try and find a better option than what we have.

*obviously stats don't tell the whole story but they at least help back up my view that he is a good creative outlet.

Careful what you say otherwise you will have the stats police on your case. ;)

If only he would do something simple with his right foot more often, when setting up his left is what the defence is set for.

Hope the Op works, and he can get back in the squad. Then Poch can make the call for playing time, as with everyone else.

As much as nobody wants surgery, this is good news IMO. Finally, puts all the rumors and innuendo to rest. Hopefully, this gives him all the time he needs to get back fit and build on what was an excellent previous two years at the club.

Get well soon, Erik!

Back