• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I disagree, I think that's the most important role of the entire front four. That's what causes the opposition to make mistakes and that's where goals come from.

How do you explain our form over the past 5 games without Lamela's pressing? I'm not saying Lamela being out is helping the team but once again, his importance is vastly overstated.

How do you explain our form over the past 5 games without Lamela's pressing? I'm not saying Lamela being out is helping the team but once again, his importance is vastly overstated.

I think the lack of pressing was evident in the first part of the season, in the last couple of weeks its been back, thats the difference, for a while we were standing off, now we're back in business

maybe it was a tactical response by Poch after last seasons fade?

irrespective of the reason i'm glad to see it back and I really want to see how effective it could be with Lamela added to it

plus, our recent form shouldn't surprise anyone, for most of last season we were the class of the division, this is just a reversion to the mean

It is too bad that Lamela has been out for so long. So long that people have forgotten his contributions to the team. I am convinced we would have beaten Chelsea comfortably if he had been playing. Remember the 3-0 win over ManU last season when he scored. He has more grit and creativity than anyone else in the team.

Sorry if this is rude but did you watch the Chelsea game? We did beat them comfortably. In fact, it was their heaviest defeat of the season after the Arsenal game when they got dingdonged 3-0.

I think the lack of pressing was evident in the first part of the season, in the last couple of weeks its been back, thats the difference, for a while we were standing off, now we're back in business

maybe it was a tactical response by Poch after last seasons fade?

irrespective of the reason i'm glad to see it back and I really want to see how effective it could be with Lamela added to it

plus, our recent form shouldn't surprise anyone, for most of last season we were the class of the division, this is just a reversion to the mean

I'm not sure pressing the main reason for the upturn in form. Alderweireld's return has been massive.

Rose's form has been sublime. He looks like a completely different player even compared to last season.

Alli's finishing has improved exponentially compared to the early part of the season where he was missing more chances than he scored, the WBA game comes to mind.

I'm not sure pressing the main reason for the upturn in form. Alderweireld's return has been massive.

Rose's form has been sublime. He looks like a completely different player even compared to last season.

Alli's finishing has improved exponentially compared to the early part of the season where he was missing more chances than he scored, the WBA game comes to mind.

the return of the press has been noticeable for me, especially in the watford game

lets not forget that those chances came to Alli from high repossession, how often did he break against turning/back foot defenders in the earlier part of the season?

Rose has been great all year, the difference is he's now (as is Walker/Trippier) moving alongside an AM playing between the lines rather than in front of them

Toby is great, no question, but it doesn't feel to me like our conceded chances per game has changed much, we've been reasonably tight at the back all season

So basically you can post whatever but can't be bothered to back up your post to show that you weren't talking bs (seeing as it was an interesting and potentially contraversial point).
Cool

No I cant be bothered. Find it yourself if your so interested. I raised it as a matter of interest. I'm not going to waste my time trying to prove a point of trivia for you mate. It's not important. I haven't got an agenda, just reporting what I heard. If you think I made it up, then believe that. I do not care! PS read Jerusalem Man's post, he has found it.

Did you mean this?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/06/tottenham-erik-lamela-return-roma-hip-injury

The manager, though, was adamant that Lamela would not be out for the remainder of the season. “Of course he will play again this season,” he said. “First of all, the injury was nothing. Then, it was a little bit and then, it was that minor problem still, still, still, every day. Then, he had the problem with his brother. He went to Argentina. Stop. Then he came back, and that affected a little bit his mind and now he was recovering very slowly. And it’s for that, he is very anxious. ‘Oh, I need to go to see …’ OK. Good. It’s good for you to change and maybe you improve quick if, in your mind, you change [the scene].

“It’s always difficult for the player who spends a lot of time [out] – more time than he believes and we believe. With the energy of the team, sometimes he’s frustrated that he cannot be involved and today it’s only him that is out of the group [with an injury].”

Pochettino’s assistant, Jesús Pérez, said: “It’s a small problem in Lamela’s hip with a tiny muscle, and the situation didn’t get fixed. It has taken him so long to get back from a simple injury. And, as the gaffer said, the environment [at Tottenham] doesn’t help him, in terms of positive energy. Now is a good moment for him to go. He asked and we believed it’s fair. We decided to send him to Rome.”

Bingo.! That is it and if you read it, it is very similar to my para phrasing of what he said.

Come on @Gilzeantoscore, you must admit that in the same way that you are saying some people are overestimating his capabilities, you are also doing the same in reverse. He's not as bad as you are making out but clearly could do better with the ability that he has. As for slide rule passes, the one that really sticks in my mind is the pass to Mason for the goal at Sunderland last season. He has plenty more that are not from freekicks or corners.

I think I watched the press conference that I think you saw, and I didn't pick up any of the tones that you did. However, I think that there is clearly frustration over the fact that he is out. I think in these circumstances, Poch would only be frustrated if he wanted to use him. Poch has shown that he is quite happy for a player to not be available (and for him to make next to no comment) e.g. Ade and Townend.

As @Raziel stated, the facts are that Lamela has had a flare up of his hip injury. They don't quite know how long it will be, he's in discomfort. His brother's situation has had an effect on him as well (as it would do anyone that had a brother that they loved) and they have just allowed him to go to Rome with a physio to try and sort it out. With those facts, I think the most common sense interpretation is that a player who they would like to be available, has a really annoying injury, is desperate to come back, has had some bad news about his brother and thinks a trip to Rome to see a physio that has worked on him with this particular injury may help. No conspiracy theories.

Finally, do we need to justify one of our players over another? Can't both be good? Thankfully we're not in a position where we have to choose between Lamela and Son, as they are both ours and they are different players. I would say that Lamela provides more assists and is less about being on the end of chances, whereas Son is about direct running and getting on the end of passes. Hell, they may actually be able to work together.

Do you actually read posts? I never said he was hopeless, apart from when he first started. I have said often that he has had some very good games. I have also said he is a handy player. I have also said that he is nowhere as good as some on here say he is. I think he is over rated, which is not the same as saying he's hopeless.

Last edited:
I´m very much doubt that our manager (or any manager for that matter) have a pecking order for players in different positon. In fact, I doubt he has any stationary pecking order at all, because it would make the team selection just based on player ability and not based on how Poch wants to play in each game and how he assuming that the oppostion will play. A manager with a pecking order will not be longlived.

Let me put it this way; regarless of the assumption of a pecking order, Lamela will outperform Lloris as a midfielder. And that is regardless how you rate Lamela.

Who said anything about Poch having a pecking order? I don't think you are following the gist of my point. Jurgen just said that Lamela would not rate in the top 8 players in the squad. That is what I meant about a pecking order.

Last edited:
Also - if you don't have better things to do for a couple of minutes - at the top of page 5 of the Villa match thread, someone posted Poch's pr-game interview. Around 21 minutes in he is asked about Lamela and his tone doesn't seem to show the frustration you imply.

Re-read the original post. I did say it was about interpreting the tone. You may have interpreted it differently to me.

Do you actually read posts? I never said he was hopeless, apart from when he first started. I have said often that he has had some very good games. I have also said he is a handy player. I have also said that he is nowhere as good as some on here say he is. I think he is over rated, which is not the same as saying he's hopeless.

I'm not sure the emotional response is necessary, but yes I do. Below is the quote where you say that he is hopeless but I didn't assume that you were just talking about at the beginning. It wasn't very clear, so please let me off for misinterpreting you. This together with other posts you have made, made me believe that you think he is hopeless.

I've already said that I never rated him. He has been so over rated on here. He's an okay player, but nothing to write home about. I judge on the here and now. Right now Dembele is one of out most important players, but two years ago he was hopeless and I said as much. The same applies to Lamela. Yes he played some very good games last season, but he wasn't pulling up trees this season.

Never rated him is different to saying he is a handy player.

Most of the time when I watch him, he takes too many touches runs into a dead ends and loses possession, he also slows our tempo.

This makes me think that you think he is hopeless as most of the time (not just at the beginning) he takes too many touches etc....

Seriously? We've had five minutes of sunshine from this kid since he signed. He scored on the opening day and apart from that was pretty in-effectual right up until he got injured. Son all day long for me.

Five minutes of sunshine from any player does not mean that he is handy. I would say that it says that you think he is hopeless.

I guess you have clarified your position, but please don't accuse me of not reading posts when you are guilty of the exact exaggeration of response that you are complaining about from other people, just in reverse. We're having a discussion, and I think you are being overly emotional in your response.

The reality, imho, is that he is an important squad member. Thankfully the number of "sure fire" starters is diminishing and we have more options available to us so that we can rotate personnel. In Son and Lamela we have players suited to our system and the way that we play that can make the team play better. Long may this continue.

Re-read the original post. I did say it was about interpreting the tone. You may have interpreted it differently to me.

"Poch was implying that it wasn't really as bad an injury as Lamela was making it out to be." Those were your words.
Reading Poch's words and watching him speak means that I don't think we just have a different interpretation of the tone. I think you have come to a wrong conclusion though incorrect interpretation. I could see nothing to make me think Poch believes Lamela is exaggerating or being a hypochondriac. Perhaps frustration that it has not cleared up as fast as was hoped. And saying that Lamela too is anxious to recover faster.

I just want to see him back fit to play, he gives as an other option. His pressing is good, but not always necessary in every game. Last season it was virtually impossible to press Southampton at WHL as they simply thumped it long and got us chasing back towards our own goal, it was effective.

By the same token one could argue that the importance of Kane and Dembele may be overrated, given that in the game against City we had our most complete performance of the season without them in the lineup. Every player brings something different and that is good, because it keeps opponents on their toes and doesn't make us too predictable.

"Poch was implying that it wasn't really as bad an injury as Lamela was making it out to be." Those were your words.
Reading Poch's words and watching him speak means that I don't think we just have a different interpretation of the tone. I think you have come to a wrong conclusion though incorrect interpretation. I could see nothing to make me think Poch believes Lamela is exaggerating or being a hypochondriac. Perhaps frustration that it has not cleared up as fast as was hoped. And saying that Lamela too is anxious to recover faster.

That's your view and good luck to you.

I'm not sure the emotional response is necessary, but yes I do. Below is the quote where you say that he is hopeless but I didn't assume that you were just talking about at the beginning. It wasn't very clear, so please let me off for misinterpreting you. This together with other posts you have made, made me believe that you think he is hopeless.

Never rated him is different to saying he is a handy player.

This makes me think that you think he is hopeless as most of the time (not just at the beginning) he takes too many touches etc....

Five minutes of sunshine from any player does not mean that he is handy. I would say that it says that you think he is hopeless.

I guess you have clarified your position, but please don't accuse me of not reading posts when you are guilty of the exact exaggeration of response that you are complaining about from other people, just in reverse. We're having a discussion, and I think you are being overly emotional in your response.

The reality, imho, is that he is an important squad member. Thankfully the number of "sure fire" starters is diminishing and we have more options available to us so that we can rotate personnel. In Son and Lamela we have players suited to our system and the way that we play that can make the team play better. Long may this continue.

I conceded that I said he was hopeless in his first season. I also said he played some very good games and that he was handy. He is clearly not hopeless, but in my view he is very over rated. That is why I have made criticisms of him, to explain why I think he's not the great player some people claim him to be. I'm not getting emotional about it. However, some people seem to be very upset that I have had the temerity to say he's overrated. Even if I did think he was hopeless, so what? This post seems to be very angry. It's just a discussion forum where people voice their opinions. It's just my opinion. We disagree, so what?

Last edited:
Gaitan? The player Tottenham Hotspur really need is Erik Lamela

Tottenham do not need to sign Nicolas Gaitan, they need Erik Lamela back.

Tottenham Hotspur have been linked this week with a move for Atletico Madrid winger Nicolas Gaitan, with The Mirror reporting their interest.

Gaitan has struggled for regular football at Atletico this season, making only four La Liga starts.

The 28-year-old could turn out to be a smart addition for Spurs, but really they already have a player who can offer everything he can.

That is his Argentina teammate Erik Lamela, who has been out of action with injury since October.

Lamela was excellent for Spurs last season and began this campaign brightly. Getting him back at full tilt would be the biggest boost they could ask for right now.

Spurs do not need to go and blow millions on Gaitan, when they have Lamela hoping to return to action soon.

Lamela is considered ahead in terms of team selection for Argentina, with Mundo Albiceleste reporting last year that he was ahead of Gaitan in the pecking order.

Tottenham would not be buying an upgrade on Lamela, purely an alternative who is four years older, and paying big money for this is not usually how they conduct their transfer business.

Lamela is a player worth waiting for, and Spurs do not need to panic buy to bring in a player who would sit on the bench when both are fit.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/01/10/gaitan-the-player-tottenham-hotspur-really-need-is-erik-lamela/

--------------------------------------------

We have badly missed Lamela. We have done well during his absence. But we would have done much better if he had been playing. I am convinced we would have got atleast a draw against Chelsea(away) and ManU(away) if Lamela was playing in those matches.

Back