• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Compare Gorgeous George and Son to Lamela. The former pair are athletic, dynamic and direct. Lamela is un-athletic. A bit like Janssen. There's nothing wrong with my vision.

Many ways to skin a cat and many ways to be a very effective attacking midfielder. Son and GKN play very different roles in our team to what Lamela plays. It's like pointing out that Winks isn't as tall as Dembele. Strictly speaking it's true, but it's not really relevant to any conversation going on.

I get a feeling that you, when you first say Lamela, got a vison about a player, not good enough for Tottenham. Since then you have tried to hold on to that vision, to any cost.

He's a handy player, but that is about it. I don't get all the worship for him on here. His performances have been inconsistent and nowhere near the levels of the real stars of the side, such as Toby, Lloris Kane, Alli and Rose.

He's a handy player, but that is about it. I don't get all the worship for him on here. His performances have been inconsistent and nowhere near the levels of the real stars of the side, such as Toby, Lloris Kane, Alli and Rose.

You previously compared Lamela to Gorgeous George and Son and now you compare him to Toby, Lloris Kane, Alli and Rose. That´s a change in vision!

You previously compared Lamela to Gorgeous George and Son and now you compare him to Toby, Lloris Kane, Alli and Rose. That´s a change in vision!

I compared him to George and Son because of the direct dynamic way they played against Villa and how effective it is. The other comparison was regarding the pecking order, where he stands in the rankings of the better players in the squad. Nowhere near the ones mentioned might I add.

@Gilzeantoscore any chance you could show us a link to this interview you say you heard from Poch, where between the lines you said it seemed Poch was a bit miffed with Lamela and his request to go to Rome etc?

No I saw it on line I think it was ESPN. I'm not trawling around the net looking for trivia. Have better things to do. As I said previously, written versions don't always provide the whole gist.

I compared him to George and Son because of the direct dynamic way they played against Villa and how effective it is. The other comparison was regarding the pecking order, where he stands in the rankings of the better players in the squad. Nowhere near the ones mentioned might I add.

Pecking order between players playing at different positions? Wow... Poch have to select 11 players and the order of those is very little of interest. Just because he writes down Lloris name prior Kanes, dosen't mean he ranks Lloris higher than Kane.

Pecking order between players playing at different positions? Wow... Poch have to select 11 players and the order of those is very little of interest. Just because he writes down Lloris name prior Kanes, dosen't mean he ranks Lloris higher than Kane.

Wow! Yes a pecking order of our most valuable players. I don't think he rates anywhere near the top What are going on about?

Paralysed? brick. Well that would explain the mindset comment.

Exactly, he is human and indications are he seems a relatively "soft" person, needs friends/family/support system. Family scenario and ongoing injury, as I mentioned earlier, you could easily see him being a bit depressed.

I actually find the club has had a lot of patience (good thing) with Lamela, during his first season issues, during the moments where he has struggled and to be fair to Lamela he has always repaid with effort if not always result. Still only 24 ...

No I saw it on line I think it was ESPN. I'm not trawling around the net looking for trivia. Have better things to do. As I said previously, written versions don't always provide the whole gist.

So basically you can post whatever but can't be bothered to back up your post to show that you weren't talking bs (seeing as it was an interesting and potentially contraversial point).
Cool

No, not these. The same interview I think, but missing the bit where Poch was implying that it wasn't really as bad an injury as Lamela was making it out to be. It was a case of hearing it and interpreting the tone. He did not sound happy about the whole situation.

Did you mean this?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/06/tottenham-erik-lamela-return-roma-hip-injury

The manager, though, was adamant that Lamela would not be out for the remainder of the season. “Of course he will play again this season,” he said. “First of all, the injury was nothing. Then, it was a little bit and then, it was that minor problem still, still, still, every day. Then, he had the problem with his brother. He went to Argentina. Stop. Then he came back, and that affected a little bit his mind and now he was recovering very slowly. And it’s for that, he is very anxious. ‘Oh, I need to go to see …’ OK. Good. It’s good for you to change and maybe you improve quick if, in your mind, you change [the scene].

“It’s always difficult for the player who spends a lot of time [out] – more time than he believes and we believe. With the energy of the team, sometimes he’s frustrated that he cannot be involved and today it’s only him that is out of the group [with an injury].”

Pochettino’s assistant, Jesús Pérez, said: “It’s a small problem in Lamela’s hip with a tiny muscle, and the situation didn’t get fixed. It has taken him so long to get back from a simple injury. And, as the gaffer said, the environment [at Tottenham] doesn’t help him, in terms of positive energy. Now is a good moment for him to go. He asked and we believed it’s fair. We decided to send him to Rome.”

Come on @Gilzeantoscore, you must admit that in the same way that you are saying some people are overestimating his capabilities, you are also doing the same in reverse. He's not as bad as you are making out but clearly could do better with the ability that he has. As for slide rule passes, the one that really sticks in my mind is the pass to Mason for the goal at Sunderland last season. He has plenty more that are not from freekicks or corners.

I think I watched the press conference that I think you saw, and I didn't pick up any of the tones that you did. However, I think that there is clearly frustration over the fact that he is out. I think in these circumstances, Poch would only be frustrated if he wanted to use him. Poch has shown that he is quite happy for a player to not be available (and for him to make next to no comment) e.g. Ade and Townend.

As @Raziel stated, the facts are that Lamela has had a flare up of his hip injury. They don't quite know how long it will be, he's in discomfort. His brother's situation has had an effect on him as well (as it would do anyone that had a brother that they loved) and they have just allowed him to go to Rome with a physio to try and sort it out. With those facts, I think the most common sense interpretation is that a player who they would like to be available, has a really annoying injury, is desperate to come back, has had some bad news about his brother and thinks a trip to Rome to see a physio that has worked on him with this particular injury may help. No conspiracy theories.

Finally, do we need to justify one of our players over another? Can't both be good? Thankfully we're not in a position where we have to choose between Lamela and Son, as they are both ours and they are different players. I would say that Lamela provides more assists and is less about being on the end of chances, whereas Son is about direct running and getting on the end of passes. Hell, they may actually be able to work together.

Also - if you don't have better things to do for a couple of minutes - at the top of page 5 of the Villa match thread, someone posted Poch's pr-game interview. Around 21 minutes in he is asked about Lamela and his tone doesn't seem to show the frustration you imply.

Wow! Yes a pecking order of our most valuable players. I don't think he rates anywhere near the top What are going on about?

I´m very much doubt that our manager (or any manager for that matter) have a pecking order for players in different positon. In fact, I doubt he has any stationary pecking order at all, because it would make the team selection just based on player ability and not based on how Poch wants to play in each game and how he assuming that the oppostion will play. A manager with a pecking order will not be longlived.

Let me put it this way; regarless of the assumption of a pecking order, Lamela will outperform Lloris as a midfielder. And that is regardless how you rate Lamela.

Come on @Gilzeantoscore, you must admit that in the same way that you are saying some people are overestimating his capabilities, you are also doing the same in reverse. He's not as bad as you are making out but clearly could do better with the ability that he has. As for slide rule passes, the one that really sticks in my mind is the pass to Mason for the goal at Sunderland last season. He has plenty more that are not from freekicks or corners.

I think I watched the press conference that I think you saw, and I didn't pick up any of the tones that you did. However, I think that there is clearly frustration over the fact that he is out. I think in these circumstances, Poch would only be frustrated if he wanted to use him. Poch has shown that he is quite happy for a player to not be available (and for him to make next to no comment) e.g. Ade and Townend.

As @Raziel stated, the facts are that Lamela has had a flare up of his hip injury. They don't quite know how long it will be, he's in discomfort. His brother's situation has had an effect on him as well (as it would do anyone that had a brother that they loved) and they have just allowed him to go to Rome with a physio to try and sort it out. With those facts, I think the most common sense interpretation is that a player who they would like to be available, has a really annoying injury, is desperate to come back, has had some bad news about his brother and thinks a trip to Rome to see a physio that has worked on him with this particular injury may help. No conspiracy theories.

Finally, do we need to justify one of our players over another? Can't both be good? Thankfully we're not in a position where we have to choose between Lamela and Son, as they are both ours and they are different players. I would say that Lamela provides more assists and is less about being on the end of chances, whereas Son is about direct running and getting on the end of passes. Hell, they may actually be able to work together.

Totally agree with your last paragraph, becoming very tribal in here. Debates about wanyama v Dier sums it up for, can we not just be happy that we have a very good squad who on their day will be a match for anyone. I don't even look for the line ups anymore, everyone one of them are good enough to do a job.
I've been following Spurs since the mid 70s and this is about as good as I can remember it across the squad.
You wouldn't think so if you were reading these boards at the moment but we're doing brilliantly.

He's better than the players that have replaced him in the squad and our best attacking player at pressing. We will be stronger with him in the squad, which is why I think that people are keen to get him back.

That's more to do with our transfer policy in the last couple of seasons in which we have mainly signed backups rather than players who were going to slot straight into the first team as opposed to anything exceptional that Lamela has done. The exception to this rule is Alderweireld who was a no brainer to walk into the side given the personnel we had at the time.

I don't really want to take sides or be put into any "camps" so to speak but I'm more enclined to agree with Gilzean, although I don't quite feel as strongly as he does. I certainly believe he's vastly overrated on this forum "most important player in our squad" and so on. I would reiterate what I said previously, I would name at least 7 or 8 players ahead of him as more important and I certainly don't think we have missed him during the last month or so.

His pressing is important of course, but pressing only works if everyone does it so that alone tells you that given how effective a tactic it has been for us, i.e. because everyone has chipped in. The players who couldn't effectively do it whilst doing their other duties have been moved on.

yet despite his goals he hasn't really nailed down his position in the starting XI with Poch even changing our attacking shape in certain games rather than rely on either Sissoko or Son - if Lamela had been available id wager we'd have gone in to the Chelsea game with our usual setup and him in the team as it's a much stronger attacking unit, even if individually Son scores more.

I don't agree at all. Playing 3 at the back has given Rose and Walker more licence to get forward for example. Alli is also reaping the benefits. I certainly don't believe Poch would have alterted the formation just to fit Lamela in.

I don't agree on Lamela. His work rate and closing down is very consistent, he rarely has an anonymous game. Son on form is a great player but when he is off form, he can be lightweight and not involved.

I agree with @billyiddo and expect Lamela to earn his starting place back when he regains fitness, unless the move to three at the back becomes permanent.

Pirate is right IMO, Lamela's trump card is his pressing but his end product is the definition of hot and cold. Wouldn't even say hot to be honest.

Son is definitely hot and cold, he's the type of player that will come into the side and have a great spell of 5 games or so then go quiet again but he's a better player when at his best than Lamela.

I don't agree at all. Playing 3 at the back has given Rose and Walker more licence to get forward for example. Alli is also reaping the benefits. I certainly don't believe Poch would have alterted the formation just to fit Lamela in.

Im saying Poch wouldnt have altered the formation had Lamela been available

its not just his pressing, it's the intelligence and vision with which he can kill a game, how many times last season did it look like we might concede a break only for Lamela to tug a shirt, dangle a leg, whatever it took to get us a reset, how many times did he slyly wind up opposition players with a little tread on feet and fingers whilst the officials were looking elsewhere

he's a consummate professional who understands how to win

Back