• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

The UTD fans don't think he's good enough for them whilst we think the opposite.

I dont think he is good enough to hold down a first team place. He is the weak point in the Spurs back 5 or is it 6 i.e. Lloris, Walker, Rose, Toby, Jan and Dier.

I dont think he is good enough to hold down a first team place. He is the weak point in the Spurs back 5 or is it 6 i.e. Lloris, Walker, Rose, Toby, Jan and Dier.
Maybe weaker (because the others are so good), but not weak. Where are you going to find a better defender who's comfortable at right CH and right FB, and he's also the youngest of that line up. Think he fits in well and he's not the finished article.

Maybe weaker (because the others are so good), but not weak. Where are you going to find a better defender who's comfortable at right CH and right FB, and he's also the youngest of that line up. Think he fits in well and he's not the finished article.

That's the thing

We have the best defence in the country now and have had it for 2 seasons. We also have had that defence suffer a lot of injury time this season and the only constant he been Dier.... who is also the least experienced and the one playing a new (ish) position

Yet people want to criticise and blame him

Of we analyse why we're not top it's because we have drawn too many games that we arguably should have won and maybe would have playing the current formation.

The draws we have had include:
Pool at home where they got a pen - not diets fault as lamella made the foul (I thought it was a pen but soft)
Leicester at home - battered em but they scored with their only shot via a wanyama mistake (the only one he has made)
Sunderland away - proliferate in front of goal. Do you blame a defender for that???
West Brom away - same as Sunderland hence why their keeper got motm
Everton away - Hugo let in a direct free kick which everyone missed. Could argue that a defender is to blame I guess but ultimately the keeper should stop that overall and we missed chances in attack
Bournemouth away - again for me it was about wasting chances in front of goal
City away - the whole team was toss and we got out of jail there as they defend so bad
Arse away - wimmer og and another game we should have won

And our defeats include united away where Kane lost in the middle and they scored (and Eric didn't start); Chelsea away where we let in two poor goals that IMO came via modfiekd mistakes and wimmer at left back; and pool away where we were awful again but you could argue Dier was at fault for a goal there

So in the league I make it one goal that was his fault in games that cost us points.... not a bad return for me but I'd love to hear someone else's views with some backup or substantiation

But it is about feelings not facts.

I feel the opposition target him. They think he is our weakest defender (In a three). They think they can pressure him into mistakes. That he can be got at. that hee can be angered. That pride makes him roostery. That he is reckless. Arrogant.

And I feel the same.

All that aside, he is clearly a wonderful footballer but perhaps he needs to lose some of the arrogance of youth.

So in short, he is not Toby Alderweireld. Yet.

I was talking about Wimmer in my post that you replied to.
Oh, I see. That makes sense then.

Not that I've got much of a downer on Wimmer. I just wonder where last season's solid Jan replacement has gone. He looked every inch the future CB stalwart during that stint.

In many of the games we didn't have much to do defensively. I thought he was shocking away to West Ham - a game that we had to do some defending in. He isn't the best in terms of his positioning, commits himself to tackles, headers he isn't going to win and isn't good enough on the ball to play through any team that presses us.

Surely, you're being very harsh on Wimmer here, no?
I agree he didn't have a good game vs West Ham, but tbh most of the team struggled with their press and i'm sure that was because Dembele was missing.
Did Wimmer not have to do some defending in the Arsenal and Liverpool games in that period? How do you think he did in those two games?

That's the thing

We have the best defence in the country now and have had it for 2 seasons. We also have had that defence suffer a lot of injury time this season and the only constant he been Dier.... who is also the least experienced and the one playing a new (ish) position

Yet people want to criticise and blame him

Of we analyse why we're not top it's because we have drawn too many games that we arguably should have won and maybe would have playing the current formation.

The draws we have had include:
Pool at home where they got a pen - not diets fault as lamella made the foul (I thought it was a pen but soft)
Leicester at home - battered em but they scored with their only shot via a wanyama mistake (the only one he has made)
Sunderland away - proliferate in front of goal. Do you blame a defender for that???
West Brom away - same as Sunderland hence why their keeper got motm
Everton away - Hugo let in a direct free kick which everyone missed. Could argue that a defender is to blame I guess but ultimately the keeper should stop that overall and we missed chances in attack
Bournemouth away - again for me it was about wasting chances in front of goal
City away - the whole team was toss and we got out of jail there as they defend so bad
Arse away - wimmer og and another game we should have won

And our defeats include united away where Kane lost in the middle and they scored (and Eric didn't start); Chelsea away where we let in two poor goals that IMO came via modfiekd mistakes and wimmer at left back; and pool away where we were awful again but you could argue Dier was at fault for a goal there

So in the league I make it one goal that was his fault in games that cost us points.... not a bad return for me but I'd love to hear someone else's views with some backup or substantiation

You are rewriting history. Case in point - Chelsea away in 2016: Dier was guilty of giving Pedro too much time on the ball. Pedro scored. I am not comparing Dier to Toby and Jan when I watch him play. He does things which make me shake my head. I admit that I did not expect Spurs to be top 3 this season. Everton home in 2017: Watch the second goal and see who lost their mark. He has a lot of room to improve and I hope that Poch is telling and teaching him (based on his own CB experience). Liverpool away: Dier was at fault. Those are the ones that readily come to mind. Everyone makes mistakes as they are human.

PS He didnt play defence in the league last season IIRC. He only played defence in the cup match vs. Leicester.

Surely, you're being very harsh on Wimmer here, no?
I agree he didn't have a good game vs West Ham, but tbh most of the team struggled with their press and i'm sure that was because Dembele was missing.
Did Wimmer not have to do some defending in the Arsenal and Liverpool games in that period? How do you think he did in those two games?

Not to mention that Wimmer is heavily lacking match practice!

You are rewriting history. Case in point - Chelsea away in 2016: Dier was guilty of giving Pedro too much time on the ball. Pedro scored. I am not comparing Dier to Toby and Jan when I watch him play. He does things which make me shake my head. I admit that I did not expect Spurs to be top 3 this season. Everton home in 2017: Watch the second goal and see who lost their mark. He has a lot of room to improve and I hope that Poch is telling and teaching him (based on his own CB experience). Liverpool away: Dier was at fault. Those are the ones that readily come to mind. Everyone makes mistakes as they are human.

PS He didnt play defence in the league last season IIRC. He only played defence in the cup match vs. Leicester.

So 3 goals then - I'll take that

Their isn't a better young centre back in this league

And Pedro's goal was top drawer... the Everton one didn't matter and Toby missed the header didn't he??? And I did say he was at fault for a goal vs pool... but we were awful all over

So 3 goals then - I'll take that

Their isn't a better young centre back in this league

And Pedro's goal was top drawer... the Everton one didn't matter and Toby missed the header didn't he??? And I did say he was at fault for a goal vs pool... but we were awful all over
I understand calling out errors and being realistic on player performance, but without an admission of circumstance - only his third season in the Prem, the first being played as a RB and occasional CB, the second playing mainly as DM and this season filling in as leg and right CB and the right side of a defensive 3 - there appear to be so many harsh takes on he lad.

I understand calling out errors and being realistic on player performance, but without an admission of circumstance - only his third season in the Prem, the first being played as a RB and occasional CB, the second playing mainly as DM and this season filling in as leg and right CB and the right side of a defensive 3 - there appear to be so many harsh tak on he lad.

Exactly

We're a hell of a side now and should embrace it

All these players can improve and Dier is certainly one but to single him out is odd in my opinion

I guarantee that for Poch, Dier is one of the most important players in the squad. Several positions covered, a genuine leader and can even take a free-kick when required. I think he's golden. Can he improve? I hope so given his age, and I am sure he will...but he is still pretty damn good IMO

Back