• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Wimmer and Dier play on opposite sides of defence and Poch seems pretty rigid on only playing defenders on their favoured side, so they are not competing for the same place.

If we lost Wanyama for a few games, I think that Poch would just switch back to 4-2-3-1 and move Dier into midfield. I think that Poch is a manager who puts out his best 11 players and then finds a formation to fit. I think that it was this and trying to accommodate Wanyama and Dier in the same side that saw us switch to 3-4-2-1.

Then occasionally next season CCV comes in for Dier.

Your solution of switching the formation in Wanyama's absence, imo negates certain other players, but more to the point it results in Eric Dier playing every single game we play in a season which is not realistic and actually quite dangerous.

I say again we should have signed Schneiderlin (remember we are likely in CL again and therefore play so many competitive games, so he'd be very useful not just a back up) or we should from time to time play CCV in his place.

Wimmer and Dier play on opposite sides of defence and Poch seems pretty rigid on only playing defenders on their favoured side, so they are not competing for the same place.

If we lost Wanyama for a few games, I think that Poch would just switch back to 4-2-3-1 and move Dier into midfield. I think that Poch is a manager who puts out his best 11 players and then finds a formation to fit. I think that it was this and trying to accommodate Wanyama and Dier in the same side that saw us switch to 3-4-2-1.

People keep saying this, but Dier played ahead of Wimmer when Vertonghen (left-sided) got injured.

Your solution of switching the formation in Wanyama's absence, imo negates certain other players, but more to the point it results in Eric Dier playing every single game we play in a season which is not realistic and actually quite dangerous.

It's not my solution, it's what i think Poch will do. He seems to pick the best 11 and then find a formation to utilise them.

It was Toby who moved across though. I don't recall Poch every playing Dier on the left or Wimmer on the right.

He hasn't

He moved Toby and Toby looked a worse player because of it

It clearly means that Poch doesnt fancy wimmer as highly as some of us

It was Toby who moved across though. I don't recall Poch every playing Dier on the left or Wimmer on the right.

Sure, but Dier and Wimmer are competing for the same place if Poch is happy to move Tobi over in order to pick Dier ahead of Wimmer.

Sure, but Dier and Wimmer are competing for the same place if Poch is happy to move Tobi over in order to pick Dier ahead of Wimmer.

That does kind of support the argument that he him picks the best 11 players and then chooses a formation to fit them in.

That does kind of support the argument that he him picks the best 11 players and then chooses a formation to fit them in.

It's probably a decision which varies depending on which player is out and how much he rates the replacement

It's probably a decision which varies depending on which player is out and how much he rates the replacement

I'm not sure. When Toby was out at the beginning of the season, he understandably went for Dier and kept with central defenders on their natural side. When Verts was out after Christmas, he started off by sticking with three at the back with Wimmer coming in for Verts and then dropped it after the City game and went to a back four with Toby shifting across and Dier playing on the right. I think that suggests that Wimmer is very much fourth choice.

Dire needs to get his confidence back and score more goals..LOL

He can score for England he can score for us!
If that banker Cahill can score , Dire who,s ten times the player must get in there.

Dire needs to get his confidence back and score more goals..LOL

He can score for England he can score for us!
If that banker Cahill can score , Dire who,s ten times the player must get in there.

I'm not sure Dier (as opposed to Dire) is expected to weigh in on the goals, he's a defender who has to cover Walker. In terms of this season, Toby is the one who has surprised me by not scoring from corners, he made it look almost easy last season.

I'm not sure Dier (as opposed to Dire) is expected to weigh in on the goals, he's a defender who has to cover Walker. In terms of this season, Toby is the one who has surprised me by not scoring from corners, he made it look almost easy last season.

He did against Monaco in our first CL game, no?

I think that's part of it.

I also think he's very aware of players that need and deserve game time both for their development and to stay happy. A lot easier to drop Wimmer than to drop Dier all things considered.

Forgive the dire spelling.
Yes,Toby has scored some good goals iirc. Similar Vert,s gets forward as well. Scored 2 up at Anfield once.
Players like Cahill Terry , who scored bags of goals coming into the penalty box,I think Cahill must have taken lessons from him! Also T Adams was acustomed to scoring important goals for le arse.
So I think it's about really getting into the penalty box at the right time with a passion.
Dier has lost some confidence ever since that Chelsea game last season and I am sure the Euro Nations didn't,t
Help him.
Anyway...CoySpurs.

To be fair, Wanyama was pretty up and down at Soton last year - their fans were laying into him, suggesting that he'd gotten lazy and that he only tried in the big games (so he could put himself in the shop window). He comes to us, many (although by no means all) Southampton fans are glad to see the back of him, and then he immediately goes from being an on-and-off red card magnet with limited passing ability to being the second-best enforcer in the league behind Kante, a brutal physical specimen who allies excellent close control with magnificently precise, controlled aggression.

I think in Schneiderlin's case it's more to do with us just being very good on the day, because GOT seems to rate him really highly overall. I think, like Wanyama, he needed the move away from United to flourish - he's doing that at Everton, and good luck to him.

Hmmmm.... Didn't Southampton finish 6th last season?.... their best finish for years, perhaps even since the PL started? I'm not sure they were good enough to do that carrying Wanyama were they?

You generally find that fans of most clubs tend to start finding ways to dislike a player once it is clear that they want to move on to bigger and better things. I remember watching Southampton beat us at WHL last season and coming on here after and saying how impressed I was with Wanyama in the holding midfield role.... a fair few on here were saying they were unimpressed and that Dier was better, but I thought the complete opposite. He is the best PL signing of the season IMO.

Back