• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Re: Welcome Eric Dier!

It's deja vu all over again.

Got that same feeling when we last signed an exotic ex-pat.

So, with a bit of hard work, a little luck and a timely loan spell at a lesser club, he could become the next Lewis Holtby.

I love how our interest in him was first broken by the Thanet Gazette over a month ago: http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Tott...-impressing/story-21282488-detail/story.html?

:lol:

No idea who this guy is but I called him up to the England squad on football manager a few weeks back so if he is a success at us I'm gonna take credit for it. ;)

Also can't believe he is the same age as me. Is this how it feels to know you're not young anymore?

Bit off topic buy why is it do you think that out of all the best top footballing nations, it's England that have their best youth and their best players playing in the domestic league?

I mean at times you'd even get clubs at top Level in England buying players from second divisions in perhaps Spain or Italy but you'll never get clubs in said countries buying from championship.

Could it be a cost thing? Are clubs overpricing? Or are we just technically not good enough in a sport that nowadays requires technical ability over the typical power and pace.

Michael Mancienne, once highly rated, currently plays for Hamburg in Germany.

Seeing as you mentioned him, Mancienne has been linked back to the Championship (Forest I think). Would probably make more money there.

Seeing as you mentioned him, Mancienne has been linked back to the Championship (Forest I think). Would probably make more money there.

Just interesting as to why he decided on going to Germany or in fact as to why they decided to purchase him

You don't see talented youngsters linked or serious about leaving. Hughes was linked with Barcelona and Madrid but I have no doubt it was media bull**** to hype him up even more.

Sporting Lisbon have recently signed Ryan Gauld though, Scottish teenager who has a 60m buyout clause.

I can see why he went to Hamburg, thinking they're a big club (d'oh) and it would be a step towards the top clubs, but most probably settle for the comfy and overpaid life in the Championship.

Bit off topic buy why is it do you think that out of all the best top footballing nations, it's England that have their best youth and their best players playing in the domestic league?

I mean at times you'd even get clubs at top Level in England buying players from second divisions in perhaps Spain or Italy but you'll never get clubs in said countries buying from championship.

Could it be a cost thing? Are clubs overpricing? Or are we just technically not good enough in a sport that nowadays requires technical ability over the typical power and pace.

Combination of money and the English youth system not being quite up to scratch compared to countries like Spain and Germany in recent years I would guess.

Just interesting as to why he decided on going to Germany or in fact as to why they decided to purchase him

You don't see talented youngsters linked or serious about leaving. Hughes was linked with Barcelona and Madrid but I have no doubt it was media bull**** to hype him up even more.

Sporting Lisbon have recently signed Ryan Gauld though, Scottish teenager who has a 60m buyout clause.

I thought part of the reason he went to Germany in the first place was to join back up with Frank Arnesen that he worked with/had a connection with at Chelsea.

Seems a good price but in general young centre backs are not ideal, the position needs a lot of experience to get the right positioning and know what to do in each situation. Yes there are exceptions. But I would rather see a 27+ year old in this key position

Never heard of him, but if we paid that kind of money for him, and people think that's cheap (the toffee's people), then maybe we're onto something. We needed a CB, that's for sure, so I'm all smiles. We need a more experienced one too though. ;)

Heard about him some years ago, but waited for him to take the next step, maybe this is it? :-k

sounds ready to be given a chance in the first team, especially with the shambolic defence last season. no sacred cows!

I think having all our players play in the same league is detrimental to the national team. Going abroad can be a real learning experience for a player, not just in football terms, but as a person.

That said it's not just us. I'd say the vast majority of Spanish and German World Cup players also play in their own respective leagues, but a number of those have at least tried different countries.

It's not just a cost of transfer thing, it's a cost of wages. I would not be surprised if the top half of the championship paid out higher wages than the bottom half of la liga.

Some of our players are technically good enough, but some would definitely benefit from spending a season or two in a more technically based league. Some of it is bound to rub off.

imagine the headlines when he has a bad game, makes a mistake

imagine the headlines when he has a bad game, makes a mistake

That's only if there's no LVG story to run, like whether he puts on his pants right or left leg first or what brand of batteries he has in his tv remote.

If you were wondering how Spurs managed to land Sporting Lisbon centre half Eric Dier, 20, for just €5m, there’s a simple and surprising explanation.

It seems there was a clause in Dier’s contract that stipulated if a bid of €5m (£3.9m) or more was made, Sporting had to match the salary offered to the Englishman by the other club. In this case, they simply couldn’t compete with Spurs’ offer.

For those who speak Portuguese it’s all explained here.

From a Spurs point of view, the clause is fabulous news and has allowed us to sign a highly-rated defender, who could well develop into a world class player (particularly if Football Manager is anything to go by), for less than £4m.

From a Sporting perspective, it seems like total idiocy.

Given Dier’s talent, it’s surprising that no club took a chance on the England U21 international sooner. The clause was first mentioned in the Portuguese media last year, so it’s hardly been a well-guarded secret.

Sporting: you’ve just been Levy’d.

http://www.thetottenhamway.com/2014...ic-dier-s-contract-to-sign-him-on-the-cheap/?

sounds ready to be given a chance in the first team, especially with the shambolic defence last season. no sacred cows!

Need to bear in mind the how many/few players from the England Under 21 team actually make it to being good enough for a top 5 or 6 PL team. Lots fall by the wayside....hopefully Dier wont be one of them however I think we need to be realistic in our expectations (which SPurs fans generally arent good at!)

Need to bear in mind the how many/few players from the England Under 21 team actually make it to being good enough for a top 5 or 6 PL team. Lots fall by the wayside....hopefully Dier wont be one of them however I think we need to be realistic in our expectations (which SPurs fans generally arent good at!)

sure i expect every young player to make a fair share of mistakes. but this guy has been first team for a season already at CB at 19-20 years... that's really quite a feat, Portuguese league or not.

also all our senior players - including verts - made tons of mistakes last season....so i'm mentally prepared to let this kid have a go!

:-k

Over the course of the last month, Sporting Clube de Portugal, Futebol SAD, began negotiations with the athlete Eric Dier for the renewal of his contract.

Unexpectedly, Sporting, SAD was confronted by the player’s father and official representative with a bid from Tottenham Hotspur, with that bid activating a clause agreed by previous Boards of Directors for the sale of the player for an amount of €5,000,000 or more, unless the personal terms offered as part of the bid are matched. Due to the Club’s current salary policy, the respective balance within the squad and the on-going financial restructuring underway at the Club, it was not possible to match the proposed terms.

Furthermore, Sporting, SAD was also informed that the player did not want to remain with the Club even on equal terms and that any equal or improved personal terms would not have been accepted.

In light of the above, Sporting, SAD announces the complete sale of the economic rights of the player Eric Dier to Tottenham Hotspur for €5,000,000, without any future rights relative to the player.

Despite the above mentioned events, Sporting, SAD wishes Eric Dier all the best in his career.

http://www.sporting.pt/English/News/newsfut_eng_futdiersale_310714_130178.asp

Back